Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2021, 09:03 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times

Advertisements

Like most people in North Raleigh my yard is mostly hard compacted clay. Over the years I have created some decent flower beds and ammended the soil by adding a few bags of black cow compost for Lowes. Getting compsot bag by bag isn't very cost effective and I am at the point where I think I may want to order a few yards to be delivered (I live about 2 miles from Mulch Masters). Since I also have some areas of my lawn I'm lookng to rennovate in addition to ammending the flower beds I'm debating on whether to get the straight up compost they offer $30/yard vs. the landscaping soil they sell ($40/yard) which is a 50/50 mix of compost and screened topsoil.

Curious if anybody on here has ordered either of these products from them and what you used it for and also how satisfied you were with the product? Also, do you recall what they charged for delivery? Yeah I know I can call them but don't feel like getting a sales pitch and I'm interested in getting some first hand accounts of getting soil/compost from them. Also these places are so busy due to covid that it is actually hard to get anybody on the phone or answer a quick email. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 09:54 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,000 times

Some years ago I bought topsoil from a local supplier. The load was delivered and dumped in a cone-shaped pile. The size of the pile was smaller than expected. A web site calculated the volume of a cone and it showed my pile was only half as much as indicated on the invoice.
https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...olids/cone.php

The vendor would not admit to knowingly overcharging but did not dispute my measurements or calculations. He seemed embarrassed to be caught cheating and told me to ignore the invoice.

The purpose of this post is to emphasize the maxim, Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware!

I won't name the supplier because it's possible that the company has changed ownership since my bad experience. It would be wrong to throw shade on a new owner for the misdeeds of a former owner.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:01 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
Use the 50:50 mix. Pure compost would be much too “hot” (high nitrogen, bad pH) to grow in.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:46 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,882,603 times
I've used Mulch Masters for gravel delivery without issues. The tandem truck driver was actually a female but she was very capable maneuvering the truck in a tight area. They stay busy so you might need to book a week or two early for delivery... especially on Saturdays but they do have a few independent contractors that will deliver quicker but they typically have load size and weight restrictions.

Old 02-08-2021, 04:56 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,177,132 times
I use a lot of mulch, garden soil and gravel. Over the past several years I have generally used "Area Mulch." Prior to that I used to use another well-known company and ended up with a serious weed issue in the mulch that years later, I am still fighting!

Old 02-08-2021, 06:09 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Like most people in North Raleigh my yard is mostly hard compacted clay. Over the years I have created some decent flower beds and ammended the soil by adding a few bags of black cow compost for Lowes. Getting compsot bag by bag isn't very cost effective and I am at the point where I think I may want to order a few yards to be delivered (I live about 2 miles from Mulch Masters). Since I also have some areas of my lawn I'm lookng to rennovate in addition to ammending the flower beds I'm debating on whether to get the straight up compost they offer $30/yard vs. the landscaping soil they sell ($40/yard) which is a 50/50 mix of compost and screened topsoil.

Curious if anybody on here has ordered either of these products from them and what you used it for and also how satisfied you were with the product? Also, do you recall what they charged for delivery? Yeah I know I can call them but don't feel like getting a sales pitch and I'm interested in getting some first hand accounts of getting soil/compost from them. Also these places are so busy due to covid that it is actually hard to get anybody on the phone or answer a quick email. Thanks!
I have ordered 50/50 from Triangle Landscape and used it to fill my raised vegetable garden beds and it was terrific. After year of trying to amend clay the 50/50 worked for all of our veggies. Check around to compare prices. I find these places are not going to give you a sales pitch. They will quote you a price and that is it. Triangle has prices on line, I believe. They usually have a minimum for delivery and I ordered enough to meet the minimum. Another neighbor of mine did the same one year and had some leftover. We purchased the excess from him and brought it over in wheelbarrows so if the minimum is more than you need maybe a neighbor would be interested in purchasing with you.

https://www.trianglelandscapesupplies.com/

Old 02-10-2021, 11:14 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,585,622 times
I have had mulch delivered by them. I got free delivery when I ordered 10 yards of mulch, so it's probably something the same for topsoil. I wouldn't expect a sales pitch they will just tell you the price and delivery charge if you don't order the minimum (10 yards for mulch) from them. So if you want smaller quantities Home depot runs might end up less money but certainly not as convenient as a pile in the drive.

Old 02-10-2021, 12:23 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Use the 50:50 mix. Pure compost would be much too “hot” (high nitrogen, bad pH) to grow in.
Depends how well you amend it in and also what the compost is made from. But most compost tends to be pretty neutral to basic and our soils are, on the whole, acidic here.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:56 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,886 times
Compost is cheap compared to what you pay for delivery. The delivery fee is flat, so get more than you think you need. For example, you might be paying $30 for compost and $75 for delivery. Make sure you get it spread quickly though. You do not want compost just laying there exposed and leaching all its good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary