Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 05:55 PM

852 posts, read 586,406 times

Advertisements

Is this thread about vaccinations or weather forecasts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 06:09 PM

653 posts, read 2,704,272 times
The National Weather Service is showing nothing but a cold rain right now. I don't care if they're the most accurate or not, they're the only ones with ZERO ads, and they don't start panicking over a quarter of an inch of rain.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:03 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
None of them, I can do as good as they do with my weather
rock outside my back door. None of them actually forecast
anything, they just update with each new model. I miss the
good ole days, when you went to bed and woke up with a foot
of snow on the ground and didn't know it was coming. If there
were snow flurries you went to school anyway, it didn't get called
off two days ahead because of a "chance" of snow. Some of my best
memories are of the ice storms we used to have, I love them! I can
remember many days sitting in class with a few inches on the ground
and it still snowing before they called off school. Times were so much
better back then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
Which weather sites do you have the most confidence in?

Old 02-10-2021, 06:41 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
In a sense, forecasting has always been based on models. Prior to computers, the models were in the heads of meteorologists. They knew the patterns they had seen before and applied those patterns to the best data available from observations. So do computers.

If you want to know what reasoning went into the forecast, read the "Forecast Discussion" available at https://forecast.weather.gov/product...&highlight=off.

They do keep track of forecast accuracy and they are better than flipping a coin. It's the mathematics of information theory. See http://web.csulb.edu/~tebert/teachin.../551/it/it.pdf.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:53 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I've given up all hope of any of the forecasters being able to forecast the weather! And the 10 day forecast? That is a JOKE!

Mother Nature has her own plans!

We used to plan our trips to the beach based on the forecasts but soon learned that was just stupid!

So many times I've been sitting on the beach with the sun out in full force, laughing because the weatherman said it was going to rain all weekend!

Am I crazy or did "they" used to do better???

Old 02-10-2021, 12:30 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
Every variety of wild bird I have seen all winter is eating from backyard feeders at a fast pace, right now.

Their feeding frenzies are typically a great "predictor" of a weather change approaching.

(So glad local Wal-Mart has 20 lbs of Pennington Classic Wild bird feed for $10.97!)

Old 02-10-2021, 12:55 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Every variety of wild bird I have seen all winter is eating from backyard feeders at a fast pace, right now.

Their feeding frenzies are typically a great "predictor" of a weather change approaching.

(So glad local Wal-Mart has 20 lbs of Pennington Classic Wild bird feed for $10.97!)
My friend in Austin says that next Monday/Tuesday, it's projected to be a high of 25/27 and low of 5/-1 (average for February is 63/42) with potentially 4-8 inches of snow on Monday (though it's still kinda far out)

Old 02-10-2021, 03:52 PM

333 posts, read 286,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
My friend in Austin says that next Monday/Tuesday, it's projected to be a high of 25/27 and low of 5/-1 (average for February is 63/42) with potentially 4-8 inches of snow on Monday (though it's still kinda far out)

I hope this is in Celsius.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:34 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
There are parts of the country where a 10-day forecast can be accurate. Raleigh isn't one of them. But the private-sector competition began doing the 10-day and NWS followed. Ignore it. Anything beyond 5 days here is completely useless.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:50 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post

My backyard has been covered in birds the last few days. It's been kind of creepy. No feeder - just getting what they can from the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary