Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 11:25 PM

6,299 posts, read 16,121,864 times

Advertisements

Are you from NYC or elsewhere in NY state? Many people here think "NY" just New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 08:00 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,179,166 times
So you've never actually been here?

Old 02-15-2021, 08:49 AM

2,291 posts, read 1,687,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Are you from NYC or elsewhere in NY state? Many people here think "NY" just New York City.
Exactly my question. Coming from NYC as opposed to Central/Western NY may mean you have a very different outlook and expectations.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:57 AM

792 posts, read 372,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseyj View Post
I chose NC because it's not NY, but it's also not that far if I ever wanted to go back and visit. I will be renting and I am so happy that the rent here is much cheaper than NY.
NJ, PA, MD, DE, and DC aren't NY either - and all of them are much closer for when you decide to return

Choosing to move to a place, just because it's not the other place is probably not the best of plans - especially if you've never even been to the place you're thinking of going to

Attached Thumbnails
Moving from New York to Raleigh-greenergrass.jpg  

Old 02-16-2021, 06:12 AM

13,727 posts, read 12,519,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
So you've never actually been here?
She's unencumbered and employed with a job that's apparently portable. Assuming she's in NYC she probably doesn't have an entire household worth of chattel to bring with her either. I95 runs both ways and if she hates it here she can move back. If there were children and a spouse it would be different.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:35 AM

3,671 posts, read 6,590,422 times
What is it about social media where people are more interested in punishing a poster or a comment then they are in trying to provide a meaningful response?

The OP has already decided on NC, presumably the Triangle, maybe provide her some contextually appropriate feedback instead of punishing her for asking for insight. And on that note....

Keep an open mind after you move. While there's quite a bit different here than anything up North, there's at least as much that's exactly the same. If you're coming from the NYC area, you will find fewer options with regards to restaurants and cultural offerings, but still no shortage of either; you'll just have to work a little harder to find what you want and what you'll like. The reduced stress and lower cost of living will materialize almost from the beginning, but if you work really hard at it you can also screw that up as well. If you avoid overly developed areas and overpriced housing you'll be fine (and that's not hard to do, either).

You will find a greater demonstration of religion in the South, but once you learn how to roll with "have a blessed day" as a common refrain, you'll be fine. I'm not particularly religious and also not Christian and I've come to appreciate its role in local culture. You will also notice that the pace of life moves slower here overall, which can be unnerving at first. But that was easiest to adjust to. And yes, the summer months offer intense heat, but you'll likely struggle more with the relentless air conditioning you'll find quite literally everywhere you go than the heat itself. I often enjoy the first 1-2 minutes sitting in my baking car as it melts away the frost from whatever building I just left.

Good luck with the relocation. And keep this forum bookmarked; I'm hanging out here for fifteen years and continue to find it an invaluable resource for great ideas and information.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:38 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,827,253 times
Slow down! Things move more slowly down here. When you get into the checkout at the grocery store, odds are the customer in front of you and the cashier will know each other and have a chat. Just relax. You'll get through.

Oh, and be that one person who actually uses their damned turn signals!

Old 02-16-2021, 05:19 PM

43,440 posts, read 77,401,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
What is it about social media where people are more interested in punishing a poster or a comment then they are in trying to provide a meaningful response?

Yeah. For some reason, we have had gatekeepers on CD for years.
Running people off for asking questions stifles growth of the forum, IMO.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:14 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,875,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseyj View Post
I have decided to take back my life and move to North Carolina. I'm nervous because this is my first attempt to leave New York. Any advice, what should I expect from NC besides the heat?
You say "NC", but have posted in the Raleigh/Durham specific forum, so I presume you're looking at this area specifically? If not, a forum one level up (general NC) might be better if you're still trying to figure out where in the very varied state.

As many have said, it's a really good idea to take a vacation and explore the area before hopping in a moving van "on a wing and a prayer". You tell us very little about yourself or what kind of lifestyle you're looking for, which makes it hard to answer your questions properly.

Age? Budget? Things you want to be near? Things you DON'T want to be near? Worries (other than heat?) The more you clarify, the better people can address your concerns. But, coming for a visit in person should always be a precursor to making decisions about moving somewhere.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:13 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,552,095 times
Moving from New York to Raleigh-capture.jpg

On Twitter, minutes ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary