Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 04:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,794 times

Advertisements

I have decided to take back my life and move to North Carolina. I'm nervous because this is my first attempt to leave New York. Any advice, what should I expect from NC besides the heat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 04:58 AM

231 posts, read 234,248 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/rale...des-local.html

Old 02-14-2021, 06:41 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,868,726 times
OP this forum is full of advice and info. We moved from NY to Raleigh along with thousands of others. And those others brought their pizza and bagel making skills with them. You will be fine.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:49 AM

20 posts, read 18,905 times
I moved to NC from NY two years ago (only one of the years counts though because the second year has been in lock down!). It was my first time living anywhere but NY. I thought it would be a big adjustment, but it was pretty easy. Like many others, I miss the foods NY is famous for, but other than that, I don't miss much. The people here are really nice and will actually engage with you even in casual situations. The pace is slower, the roads are better, and because there are so many newcomers, it's easy to meet people. I'm a lot less stressed than I was in NY as well. Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll have a great experience here.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:13 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,435 times
So you've never been here? What makes you think NC is where you want to be? What made you pick NC?

Old 02-14-2021, 09:18 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,783,639 times
How about a little more about yourself? What drew you to NC? Buying or renting? Got a job? Why are you calling this an "attempt"?

Old 02-14-2021, 09:54 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseyj View Post
I have decided to take back my life and move to North Carolina. I'm nervous because this is my first attempt to leave New York. Any advice, what should I expect from NC besides the heat?
I think that you should prepare yourself to meet a lot of New Yorkers.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:38 AM

6,114 posts, read 4,605,459 times
My advice is to not think that NC is entirely like Raleigh or the Triangle. It's not, anymore than the rest of New York is like New York City. That's meant neither as a negative nor a positive difference, but if you get a little bit outside of the Raleigh/Cary/Durham/Chapel Hill area bubble, especially 2-3 counties over from Wake (not counting Durham and Orange counties) in multiple directions, the state has a different feel, and some of that is good and some is not so good.

I'm not saying this would apply to the OP but it amazes me the people from other states who really don't leave the bubble of the transplant enclave in NC that they move to, even if they've been here a good while.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:41 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
My advice is to not think that NC is entirely like Raleigh or the Triangle. It's not, anymore than the rest of New York is like New York City. That's meant neither as a negative nor a positive difference, but if you get a little bit outside of the Raleigh/Cary/Durham/Chapel Hill area bubble, especially 2-3 counties over from Wake (not counting Durham and Orange counties) in multiple directions, the state has a different feel, and some of that is good and some is not so good.

I'm not saying this would apply to the OP but it amazes me the people from other states who really don't leave the bubble of the transplant enclave in NC that they move to, even if they've been here a good while.
Most people don't "leave" their bubbles, including life long North Carolinians who don't live in the typical transplant areas of the state.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
How about a little more about yourself? What drew you to NC? Buying or renting? Got a job? Why are you calling this an "attempt"?
I am a 35 year old female, no kids. I do have a job that is going to transfer with me. In NY my life is stagnant and I haven't had a chance to accomplish anything I wanted for various reasons. I chose NC because it's not NY, but it's also not that far if I ever wanted to go back and visit. I will be renting and I am so happy that the rent here is much cheaper than NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary