Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 04:14 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,229,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I went to Skylight Inn for lunch today and had no complaints - everything was perfect, even the cornbread tasted better. Maybe I’ll give Sam Jones another try in a few months once they work out the kinks downtown.
I went today for the first time today and I have to agree, they have some kinks to work out. I definitely wasn't impressed with the service. I placed an online order for pick up at 4:30pm. I got there early and the place was almost empty. After waiting until 4:45, I finally called them and they brought it right out. It was as if it was just sitting there. The young woman handed it to me and told me have a good day. She didn't apologize for the wait or anything.

I got the BBQ plate with potato salad and cole slaw. Now the bbq was excellent. The slaw was okay and the potato salad would have been good if the potatoes had been cooked a little more. I was not a fan of the cornbread but that's just a personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 05:23 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,177,191 times
Quote:
I went to Skylight Inn for lunch today and had no complaints - everything was perfect, even the cornbread tasted better. Maybe I’ll give Sam Jones another try in a few months once they work out the kinks downtown.
You took a 6 hr round trip just to have lunch there?

Old 03-05-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodsonRamseur View Post
Not true. Cornbread styles are regional within the Southern states.
Exactly. Some of my relatives used to deep fry cornbread and some on my native american side would pan fry corn bread in the shape of a pancake.

Old 03-05-2021, 05:26 PM

6,662 posts, read 5,620,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
You took a 6 hr round trip just to have lunch there?
Nah, I went out to Goose Creek State Park, went to downtown Washington and shot some pictures around the waterfront/downtown area, then stopped at Simply Natural Creamery for ice cream on my way back

(Trying to hit up all of the NC state parks this year haha)

Old 03-05-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Nah, I went out to Goose Creek State Park, went to downtown Washington and shot some pictures around the waterfront/downtown area, then stopped at Simply Natural Creamery for ice cream on my way back

(Trying to hit up all of the NC state parks this year haha)
Oh yea, I recall that was on your bucket list. I need to check out more of eastern NC.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:45 PM

855 posts, read 595,445 times
Went to Sam Jones in Raleigh for dinner tonight. Overall, meh. Not as good as I had hoped for but OK. Can't put my finger on it, but the food didn't jump out at me like the Skylight Inn (which I was expecting and hoping for). I'll give them a while to sort things out and then try again.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:57 PM

6,662 posts, read 5,620,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Went to Sam Jones in Raleigh for dinner tonight. Overall, meh. Not as good as I had hoped for but OK. Can't put my finger on it, but the food didn't jump out at me like the Skylight Inn (which I was expecting and hoping for). I'll give them a while to sort things out and then try again.
My friend pointed out that it's going to take those pits a few decades to get as seasoned as Skylight

Old 03-05-2021, 07:06 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,077,515 times
Quote:
My friend pointed out that it's going to take those pits a few decades to get as seasoned as Skylight
While true, it’s likely more an issue of just not having the crew, timing, service up to par yet. Most top BBQ places will season their pits numerous times before even opening. Even as an amateur dabbling in competition now and then, my smokers are seasoned well before “game time”.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:45 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,289,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
It’s actual authentic cornbread. Not the dessert-like corn cake many non-rural southerners mistake for cornbread.
I guess "rural" is the key differentiator. May need to add "Eastern NC". Every cornbread I've ever had or made, including the mix OR recipe from corn meal from solidly Southern and especially NC companies (Guilford Mills, House Autry) makes a "cakier" bread than the corn-stick density it appears of Skylight/Sam Jones (I've not made the side trip to Ayden, I have eaten at Sam Jones but don't recall unleavened corn bread).

It seems to be corn pone vs corn bread.

We could probably entertain the newer residents fighting over such.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:56 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,289,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
If you're willing to travel outside of Raleigh into JoCo, I would highly recommend White Swan in Smithfield on Hwy. 301. I know eastern NC BBQ very well, and they have some of the best.
the original on 301 you say? What about the one in "Wilson's Mills"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary