Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 05:44 PM

873 posts, read 1,018,874 times

Advertisements

Needing to get new shingles on my single-family residence (two-story, approx. 1,300 sq. ft.) and wanting some general guidance and dos and don'ts. How many estimates would you recommend I get in advance? What's a reasonable range of cost? Assuming good weather, how many days should I expect it to take? How and when should I involve my insurance company? Is it better for me to be out of my house when work occurs? And what questions should I ask potential roofers?

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 05:56 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,465,841 times
I interviewed five - Scro's, Baker, Artisan, 1st National Roofing, and Feazel.

Here is a solid truth - the vast majority of roofing companies are shell corps, and use folks contracted out to do the work, and simply act as middlemen. In my list above, the first three do contract but they use the same people every time. In my neighborhood I have watched Feazel sell a bunch of insurance bought roofs and have seen all sorts of stuff go bad, including a bunch of call backs with them up on the roof with a hose looking for leaks. I also saw a few 1st National just completely **** up the install, it was pure comedy.

I went with Artisan but Scro's was a very close second, Baker if you have $$ to burn. I was extremely impressed with Artisan. I loved how they showed up that morning with the material, and didn't dump it in my driveway three days prior, along with a dumpster. I loved how they arrived in two matching white vans in good repair and looked like a team. The whole thing was well organized. They started at 7am and were done by 2pm, and Feazel had a crew a few houses down take two entire days as they didn't have enough staff on hand. I wonder why...

Only involve insurance if there is damage. If your roof is old and worn out, that is *not* an insurance claim.

Cost is going to depend on roof pitch, height, shingle type/grade, etc. All legit companies will be within a bell curve.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:03 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,232,569 times
^ I assume Scro's is still estimating based on a satellite photo? Which is fine, they'll tell you, and it saves them time and $$ of estimators scheduling and roaming the county.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:12 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,546,172 times
Helpful thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rale...il-damage.html

Old 02-22-2021, 06:19 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,282,179 times
- At least 3 estimates.
- Cost is obviously dependent on size/structure/shingle.
- Should be done in one day.
- Insurance should only be involved if you have damage and your roof is not end-of-life. Don't be the person that tries to get your neighbors to pay for your 20-30 year old roof.
- If you want quiet, you'd be better off out of the house. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:28 PM

425 posts, read 419,782 times
My house is about that size, and I replaced the shingles with standing seam metal roofing. There's a large pecan tree near the house and the pecan hulls and dead twigs would wear out shingles ahead of their normal life. Metal roofing costs more, but it's a bearable expense for a small residence.

Last edited by SGMI; 02-22-2021 at 06:40 PM..

Old 02-22-2021, 06:42 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,776,469 times
I got 3 or 4 quotes. Went with ProBuilt Co (Bill Asher) in Cary. Very happy. I got upgraded shingles, new gutters, replaced old skylight, and added a ridge vent for what the base Baker price would have cost.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:18 PM

22,676 posts, read 36,826,713 times
Artisan is doing ours next week (unless it rains, ha ha).

Old 02-22-2021, 08:39 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,592,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Needing to get new shingles on my single-family residence... and wanting some general guidance and dos and don'ts. ... Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.
Ask questions, lots of questions. Ask "what makes your roof job worth more than those of your competitors?"

The lower-cost firms may use power nailers; the higher-cost firms boast of hand nailing. Ask them to explain why hand nailing is better. What type of underlayment (sometimes called "felt" or "tar paper") will be used? Is a ridge vent really better than a gable vent? Is that included in their price? How do they handle shingling in the valleys and crickets? What kind of flashing do they use? What kind of vent stack boots?

A good estimator will patiently explain all of these things, and more. A "free estimate" should provide a "free education."

When the old roofing material is stripped off they may discover hidden damage. Deteriorated sections of roof sheathing, rotten rafter tips, crumbling fascia. How much do they charge for such repairs?

Old 02-23-2021, 05:10 PM

873 posts, read 1,018,874 times
All of this is very helpful. Thanks everyone, and I may give an update on it when it's done later as well as any lessons learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary