Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2006, 11:31 AM

41 posts, read 57,306 times

Advertisements

This isn't a Jab at HOA's, I am just merely curious why all new developments are required to have them. Is this statewide or just in the Triangle? When did the HOA requirement go into effect? I know some of the benefits of an HOA is to help protect homeowners by preventing people from neglecting their property and brigning down home values in the neighborhood. But, There are plenty of other places in the country where people buy homes and don't have to pay to for an association, and they seem to get along jsut dandy. I do realize that some communities here have lots of ammenities like parks and pools that need funding for management and maintenance, but what about communities that don't have such ammenities? Why is any money being collected at all?. The neighborhood I live has an HOA annual fee of $142. We don't have a pool/club house/park and the only common area is a tiny coner property at the entrance of the subdivision with a small neighborhood sign. I know we pay a landscaper for upkeep of the sign and plants but that can't csot very much, certainly not the nearly $10K collected every year ....besides that we only pay a local HOA management company to manage the funds collected and send out NOVs (whioch are pretty rare in our neighborhood anyway) . It seems like we are merely collecting money to just pay somebody to keep track of the money. What is the point of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 11:54 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
It is most certainly NOT a law. No single family development is "required" to have an HOA. Condominiums have them by outirght necessity, though.

By coincidence, I just posted this in another thread:
"Cary can be truly goofy, but is much less restrictive than many people think.
What you really must be aware of are the neighborhood deed covenants and HOA's. Cary has nothing to do with either.

If you look near Bond Park, you would do well to consider neighborhood restrictions. It is quite easy to find neighborhoods with 100+ pages of covenants, rules, and HOA bylaws. Those restrictions will eclipse most anything the Town of Cary would offer.
Builders establish and enforce covenants to protect themselves while still building out a neighborhood. They want the place to look well-kept and marketable. A Builder has a greater stake in the appearance of a 20% complete project than any homeowner does.
When a Builder hands the operation of the HOA over to the community, typically most or all of the homes are complete, and the Builder's risk is lower.

HOA's and covenants can reasonably protect property owners' investments, but they can also turn into nasty weapons for bitter, nosy, neighborhood busy-bodies with too much time on their hands.
I've seen both.

I live in a 13 year old Cary subdivision without an HOA or HOA dues, and few restrictive covenants. It works for me, and most of my neighbors. We live and let live, and don't spend our time and energy judging our neighbors, or setting a timer to track how long they have had the garage door open."

I didn't even touch on the possibility of nepotism and corruption.
You should go to the meetings and discover the answers to your questions.
And review the financial records annually. Surely they are audited, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_green1974 View Post
This isn't a Jab at HOA's, I am just merely curious why all new developments are required to have them. Is this statewide or just in the Triangle? When did the HOA requirement go into effect? I know some of the benefits of an HOA is to help protect homeowners by preventing people from neglecting their property and brigning down home values in the neighborhood. But, There are plenty of other places in the country where people buy homes and don't have to pay to for an association, and they seem to get along jsut dandy. I do realize that some communities here have lots of ammenities like parks and pools that need funding for management and maintenance, but what about communities that don't have such ammenities? Why is any money being collected at all?. The neighborhood I live has an HOA annual fee of $142. We don't have a pool/club house/park and the only common area is a tiny coner property at the entrance of the subdivision with a small neighborhood sign. I know we pay a landscaper for upkeep of the sign and plants but that can't csot very much, certainly not the nearly $10K collected every year ....besides that we only pay a local HOA management company to manage the funds collected and send out NOVs (whioch are pretty rare in our neighborhood anyway) . It seems like we are merely collecting money to just pay somebody to keep track of the money. What is the point of that?

Old 12-30-2006, 05:26 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
Yeah, there's nothing out there that requires new developments to have HOAs. There have been numerous threads about pro/cons of HOAs, so I won't get into that here, but my guess is that many developers like handing off the duties of running new subdivisions to these groups so that's why they're so common.

Smaller new developments, especially those closer to the older centers of cities, are less likely to have them.
And of course, a traditional city grid-style streets aren't likely to have them either.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:44 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
As with everything, it only takes one person to ruin it for the rest of us!

Why does the cup of coffee at McDonalds now say "handle with care, HOT coffee"!

Why do most aspirin bottles say "do not put in your ear"!

My opinion as to why we have HOA is that one or two people started painting their homes purple and parking their cars on blocks. A few people complained it brought down their property values and then developers figured more people would buy in their neighborhoods if they protected buyers from these crazy folks. Therefore, their "investment" wouldn't go down in value. So developers started adding these "covenants" stating that you couldn't put your car on blocks and your exterior home color had to be approved.

Make sense?

Vicki

Old 01-06-2007, 03:51 PM

201 posts, read 611,644 times
HOA's work fine for some and are nightmares for others.
Just keep in mind you are signing a contract with a Corporation and in that contract you forego many rights as an owner of your property. Lawyers love HOA's because of the volume of work they generate. Up to 75% of all HOA's in CA. are alleged to be involved in a lawsuit at any one time. Illinois 60%, can't tell you about NC although I'm sure the number is out there. Management fees and lawyers is where most of HOA's dues are spent, if you're fine with that and the fact you've signed most of your rights away, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary