Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 04:05 PM

1,323 posts, read 1,256,808 times

Advertisements

From a couple of years ago, I had a return receipt (green card from a certified letter, return receipt mailing) stuck in the Raleigh postage center for about a week. Needed that green card for something at work and was frustrated the whole time. I was so tempted to go over there and search for it myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 04:47 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Look no further. DeJoy is still postmaster general. The President can not fire him directly but has to go thru the board of directors of the post office. Firing him is very much warranted. I'm sure it's high up on President Biden's to do list.
The USPS problems existed long before Dejoy came along...so nice try. If you want to blame somebody, then blame both democrats and republicans for passing The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) of 2006 which requires USPS to pay in advance for the health and retirement benefits of all of its employees for at least 50 years, and stipulated that the price of postage could not increase faster than the rate of inflation. It also mandated the USPS to deliver six days of the week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal...nhancement_Act

Dejoy recently recently laid out a plan to revamp USPS over ten years. The 2021 Postal Service Reform Act would require postal employees to enroll in Medicare when they turn 65. The bill wouldn’t require current retirees to enroll, but would give them a three-month grace period from late-enrollment penalties if they opt to do so. The bill would also eliminate the Postal Service’s 2006 mandate to pre-fund retiree health benefits well into the future.

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/agenc...ice-standards/

The USPS is not taxpayer funded:
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-fr...ed-and-funded/

Old 03-02-2021, 05:01 PM

1,462 posts, read 658,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
The USPS problems existed long before Dejoy came along...so nice try. If you want to blame somebody, then blame both democrats and republicans for passing The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) of 2006 which requires USPS to pay in advance for the health and retirement benefits of all of its employees for at least 50 years, and stipulated that the price of postage could not increase faster than the rate of inflation. It also mandated the USPS to deliver six days of the week.

Dejoy recently recently laid out a plan to revamp USPS over ten years. The 2021 Postal Service Reform Act would require postal employees to enroll in Medicare when they turn 65. The bill wouldn’t require current retirees to enroll, but would give them a three-month grace period from late-enrollment penalties if they opt to do so. The bill would also eliminate the Postal Service’s 2006 mandate to pre-fund retiree health benefits well into the future.

There were problems beforehand but putting in someone who is grossly incompetent and did further damage is generally not well advised. Unless of course he was put there for some other reason. What could it be, what could it be......

Old 03-02-2021, 05:25 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,817,437 times
Quote:
Look no further. DeJoy is still postmaster general. The President can not fire him directly but has to go thru the board of directors of the post office. Firing him is very much warranted. I'm sure it's high up on President Biden's to do list.
He needs to be fired yesterday.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:28 PM

61 posts, read 35,692 times
Last Friday we received a Christmas card that was sent from PA that had a December 14th postage date stamped on it. When my wife told her Aunt about it she laughed and said she’ll be sure to send this year’s in September so we get it in time.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:32 PM

43,274 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn S View Post
Last Friday we received a Christmas card that was sent from PA that had a December 14th postage date stamped on it. When my wife told her Aunt about it she laughed and said she’ll be sure to send this year’s in September so we get it in time.
A few years ago a guy ITB was supposed to send me a document, and I was pestering him to get it out. He claimed he had sent it.
Deal closed.
I got it in the mail.
A 1st Class envelope, from ITB to Cary, 27513, took FIVE MONTHS to turn up in my mailbox. It was yellowed and crinkled, like it had spent 5 months on a dashboard in sunlight.

A few years ago, I ordered a pull out rack for a base cabinet on eBay. It came, a bit slow, but it came.
And, about 6 months later, another one came, with the box all beat to heck, and an earlier ship date on it.
Mystery to me...

Old 03-02-2021, 06:10 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post

great, reasoned and supported answer.

Quote:
There were problems beforehand but putting in someone who is grossly incompetent and did further damage is generally not well advised. Unless of course he was put there for some other reason. What could it be, what could it be......
ehh, not so much.

The idea of calling someone who has run shipping/supply chain logistics businesses "grossly incompetent" would seem ... odd. But unsurprisingly partisan, in a forum that's supposed to avoid politics.

Revoking/changing the 2006 law is obviously needed. So is tossing any concept of attempting "every day delivery to every address".

The issue is relatively simple, and starts as a business - "where can we improve our revenue/cost structure?" I'm sure there are great post office employees everywhere - it seems like the best ones become the mail deliverers. But well more than 50% of my admittedly infrequent interactions in PO's or the Westgate center leave the undeniable impression that they're getting their paycheck and doing what they're supposed to do, and not doing more than required. Hell, the idea they would hold a mail truck for an hour for 5% of late-arriving mail so it all goes out "that" day (and overtime gets abundantly paid) would seem to be proof enough.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:12 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn S View Post
in this particular case - did it cycle through Avent Ferry? Or does it go from Westgate to somewhere in Garner?

Old 03-02-2021, 07:26 PM

61 posts, read 35,692 times
The mail is backed up because they’re still finding THOUSANDS of Biden ballots.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:13 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
I've had a couple of packages delayed...should have taken 4 days to arrive but took 2.5 weeks. But, yes, they did arrive.

I had one package that showed (using tracking number) it was in Raleigh but never delivered. The P. O. has a "lost package" section so I filled it out. I got a "instant" reply that the North Ridge P. O. would be looking into it. Next day, I got another "instant" reply that the package was found. And the next day, package was delivered.

My guess is that it was just sitting in a corner of the P. O. or a corner of the truck.

I've now done this 3 times and just like clockwork...package is delivered in 2 days.

So...if you are expecting a package that is more than 2 weeks late, I suggest you try using the "lost package" email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary