Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,364 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Chapel Hill or Durham and I have three Mini Schnauzer. What about snakes attacking dogs ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 05:42 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnutley View Post
I'm thinking of moving to Chapel Hill or Durham and I have three Mini Schnauzer. What about snakes attacking dogs ?
I lived in NC all my 54 years, have had multiple dogs, and have never had one of them bitten by a snake. I can't think of anyone I know that ever has either.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,364 times
Thank you
The smallest one only weight 14 lbs and I was extremely worried

Old 04-22-2015, 07:22 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnutley View Post
What about snakes attacking dogs ?
It's usually the other way around.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:37 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
My dogs have had 3 snake bites (copperheads) between the two of them and it is totally because they provoked the snakes and stuck their noses right up at them. Given a chance a snake will run and hide every time. I live in Chapel Hill on a very wooded lot. My cat caught snakes when I was a kid, too.

I know 3 people in Chapel Hill who have been bitten by copperheads. It's much worse for people than dogs. Usually dogs can metabolize the venom pretty quickly (like within 6 hrs or so), but people usually end up in the hospital for several days and may have to have surgery if the swelling is in an area that it could cause nerve damage or they may end up on crutches for a couple of weeks. It's possible that a copperhead bite can kill a small dog (I've read 5% fatalities in dogs) or occasionally a person, but that's very rare.

My dogs were completely back to their old selves the next day after being bitten, and really it was more like 6 hrs. With my younger, 60lb dog, she was fine within 4 hrs or so and ready and begging to go for a walk, wagging her tail, etc. Right when she was bitten she was in a lot of pain and paced and couldn't settle down. My older dog (25lbs) was bitten and was completely fine by the time he got picked up from the vet that evening and the vet had called during the day to say we could come get him, but the spouse couldn't leave work and I was out of town.

It's definitely something to be aware of, but nothing I'd worry greatly about.

Last edited by poppydog; 04-22-2015 at 07:52 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 07:51 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,176,299 times
I live on several acres near Falls Lake and every dog I've ever had has been bitten by copperheads. Copperheads usually don't back down.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:58 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Keep in mind that venomous snakes don't always inject venom on the first bite. Sometimes they bite as a warning(dry bite). Dogs are curious by nature and do get bitten here. Carcrazy is correct that copperheads don't back down. They are not going to chase you or your dog, but they will not flee like some other snakes if you happen upon them.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:26 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Baby copperheads are the worst, too, since they'll unload their whole venom store. Adults keep some back for prey.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yes, thats risky. Cottonmouths hang out around water, as can copperheads. A bite to a young child is worse than a bite to a adult, due to their smaller size and not-fully-developed immune systems.

Did you see the videos I posted? Some copperheads can be very, very docile, others can be a bit more defensive. Cottonmouths are unique in the fact that when theyre mad, they sit perfectly still, raise their heads up and open their mouths to expose the white lining (hence the term "cottonmouth") and can remain that way for hours, they wont strike out like other snakes. The only way youll get bit is if you put your hand right by its mouth or accidentally step on one. Even then, alot of snake bites are "dry", meaning no venom was injected. Snakes conserve their venom and can choose to envenomate or not. Most times they will choose not to waste their venom on something they cannot kill and ingest.
Did you see the videos I posted? Tried to view they are private on YouTube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary