Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 05:39 AM

43,396 posts, read 77,330,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Of course. But I suspect it matters how it is asked. And maybe which realtor is involved. As in can the builder expect that said realtor is in the future going to bring another buyer or two?

I'm not in the business of real estate in any way. But I DO have a good idea how business 'works'.

Business "works" however amenable parties make it work. That's certainly fundamental.
Another fundamental: Don't expect to get that for which you do not ask.
I have many times worked as buyers agent, and been compensated by builders after buyers visited, registered, saw models, etc.

My odd experience with Epcon was on 1 transaction.
Buyer told me she wasn't sure what she had signed and wanted me to go to work for her.
I dropped into the Epcon office and me with the regional president. I asked what the status was, whether I was able to expect a commission from them.
He made it a bit awkward, but said he didn't know what the status of the transaction was, whether there was a signed contract, but would check and call me back.
No call.
I called.
And, he got childish.
He yelled at me, told me I was the most unprofessional, blah blah blah, and the whole office was amazed that any agent would come in and demand payment when there already was a contract in place. Basically, vented his spleen on me.
Me: "You said you would call and inform me of contract status, right?"
Him, quietly: "Yes I did."
Me: "I demand nothing. Honoring that promise was all it would have taken for me to say, 'Thank you,' and to have dropped the commission topic."
He apologized.

I believe I would have been able to be paid by the builder had the buyer not yet signed a contract.
More often than not, builders do not exclude the agent after a prior visit by a buyer.

The warning to take have the agent along on the first visit is great advice, as the rule may be enforced unpredictably. But it is not nearly a hard and fast rule for the builders, IME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 07:37 AM

19,457 posts, read 27,934,089 times
Fair enough, Mike - and you most certainly know more than I.

That said, it's an entirely avoidable situation/hassle/risk.

(PS. I'm personally aware of 4+ cases where the builder refused to pay a commission after the client visited the model home: all Del Webb communities.)

Old 03-21-2021, 07:41 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,946,152 times
This escalated quickly...went from feeding birds to feeding real estate agents/EPCON sales peeps. Nice hijack!

Old 03-21-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
This escalated quickly...went from feeding birds to feeding real estate agents/EPCON sales peeps. Nice hijack!
Welll... Maybe we aren't feeding the birds until mid-April, according to Sam & Ella.

And, I hope the OP got the answer desired: "Buy on the perimeter, backing to a tree buffer," whenever possible.

I might add: "Look for an opportunity to place a bluebird nesting box."

From the short grass to the rough, and back into play?

Old 03-21-2021, 08:32 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,550,421 times
Note, in some cities buyers are offering asking price plus a PS5!

Old 03-21-2021, 08:33 AM

7 posts, read 3,138 times
Yes, htohztd and Mike Jaquish, this posting did take on a life of its own and not in the direction I had hoped. I had anticipated hearing from some folks who lived in an Epcon community sharing their experiences, but alas, it was not to be. I thank you for injecting a bit of much needed redirection. (Where I live now we feed the birds all winter and yes, I'm aware that there is, unfortunately, a salmonella outbreak currently.)

Old 03-21-2021, 09:23 AM

19,457 posts, read 27,934,089 times
My apologies for going OT (but I'll still defend my recommendation.)

Old 03-21-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoucher View Post
Yes, htohztd and Mike Jaquish, this posting did take on a life of its own and not in the direction I had hoped. I had anticipated hearing from some folks who lived in an Epcon community sharing their experiences, but alas, it was not to be. I thank you for injecting a bit of much needed redirection. (Where I live now we feed the birds all winter and yes, I'm aware that there is, unfortunately, a salmonella outbreak currently.)
I would additionally suggest you drive through Epcon communities in which you have interest, and chat up residents.
As they are generally retirement communities, you should find people around and willing to talk to you.
And, you will likely get more helpful information than you will hoping someone in an Epcon community stumbles upon your request.

NextDoor might also be helpful for this discussion.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:32 PM

7 posts, read 3,138 times
A fine and sensible idea!

Old 03-27-2021, 07:25 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,946,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
From the short grass to the rough, and back into play?
You know my golf game...Have we played together??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary