Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 01:15 PM

50 posts, read 63,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
They would not do it. "Liability" etc etc. They, like others, are worried about wrecking my transponder key and being liable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
Try Burke Brothers Hardware for key cutting.

Bingo! They said they would do it for like $3.50. At least they said that on the phone.

Thank you so much and I am really glad I posted here!

Old 04-08-2021, 02:42 PM

347 posts, read 523,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comintel View Post
Bingo! They said they would do it for like $3.50. At least they said that on the phone.

Thank you so much and I am really glad I posted here!
Glad to help. They're a truly outstanding hardware store with darn near anything you could ever need. It never ceases to amaze me how much they're able to fit in that place.

Old 04-10-2021, 12:19 AM

And just to follow-up they did cut the keys for $3.50 each and the keys do work.

Which is more than can be said for the only other transponder keys which I was ever able to get cut here in Raleigh at an earlier date which would not turn in the locks - I can see the blade pattern was inexact in those copies made at Home Depot on the one occasion where a staffer there did agree to cut using my blanks.

And a huge saving over the $50- $120 cost range locksmiths wanted.

So Burke Brothers Hardware is the best hardware store in Raleigh that I have dealt with.

Old 04-10-2021, 06:37 AM

653 posts, read 2,708,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comintel View Post
And just to follow-up they did cut the keys for $3.50 each and the keys do work.

Which is more than can be said for the only other transponder keys which I was ever able to get cut here in Raleigh at an earlier date which would not turn in the locks - I can see the blade pattern was inexact in those copies made at Home Depot on the one occasion where a staffer there did agree to cut using my blanks.

And a huge saving over the $50- $120 cost range locksmiths wanted.

So Burke Brothers Hardware is the best hardware store in Raleigh that I have dealt with.
This is good to know. I have a 2000 Ford and probably need to do this before the keys get any older. Was the programming easy? Did you have to buy the full version of FORSCAN?

Old 04-10-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
This is good to know. I have a 2000 Ford and probably need to do this before the keys get any older. Was the programming easy? Did you have to buy the full version of FORSCAN?
There are quite a few things I can share that I learned the hard way.

You have to use the Windows version of Forscan so you will need a Windows laptop. I ended up buying one for $35. FORSCAN is actually free (just download a temporary licence). Initially I bought the Android and IOS versions and neither can do PATS.

You need a good adapter. The site lists recommended ones. The best ones are from OBDlink.com. Some cheaper ones may be ok.

You need good key blanks. As car as old as mine or yours uses 40-bit transponder keys. The newer 80-bit ones are supposed to be backward compatible but there may be some doubt.

The first set of keys I bought on EBay did not work after I paid locally to have them cut. It caused me endless grief trying to figure out what was wrong.

The second set of keys I bought from Car and Truck Remotes were cut wrong at Home Depot. I do not know if they would have worked. I suspect they would have worked.

I bought the third set of blank keys from UHS Hardware in Florida. They were only $5 each. They did work after I got them cut, as I have posted. They did have ones listed as 40 bit which I bought. However UHS is a locksmith supplier and I do not know who they will sell to and who they will not sell to. I do have a company that I own. I filled in their questionnaire honestly without claiming to be a locksmith but I do not know what they will approve and what they will not approve.

Forscan itself was not that hard to use.

By the way some Ford Models do not even need Forscan as they have a manual procedure if you have two working original keys. I only had one key so I could not use that method.

Also Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond (!) and maybe Burke Brothers can CLONE transponder keys which is a different approach for maybe $80 or so per key. But I prefer to program new ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary