Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 05:06 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filibustamove View Post
I hear you! I will be the one running most of the errands during the week, so a conveniently located suburb would be ideal.

Our agent showed us one house in Apex, and while the street was beautiful, the surrounding neighborhood definitely didn’t have the same feel to it. Are there any parts of Apex or Wake Forest you like more than others? Our budget is around $750k, looking for around 3000sqft with a two-car garage and modest grassy yard. An established neighborhood would be our preference.
Preserve is REMOTE.

98% of what you do outside the neighborhood is 15+ minutes away. There is very little traffic, it's a true all-the-time 15 minutes.

If you're having ANY problem finding neighborhoods that have 3,000 sqft, first floor master, and at least a 0.2 acre lot for $750K for less that aren't in downtown/"Midtown" Raleigh, then there's more to this story than we've been told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 05:22 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Our agent has been steering us more towards “golf communities”; I’m assuming that’s because many of the homes in those neighborhoods seem to feature master suites on the main floor or “main floor living” plans.
I'd also suggest looking at the Chapel Ridge golf community and the northern part of Pittsboro. I saw one home in the about $575K with four bedrooms on the main floor, which was MLS# 2379294. Another about $595K in Chapel Ridge with three bedrooms on the main floor, MLS# 2379408. Both had plenty of room for a home office.

BTW, Zillow has a "coming soon" feature which shows listing a day or 2 before they make it to Realtor. In this competitive market, it is wise to check these out.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:27 PM

22 posts, read 20,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Preserve is REMOTE.

98% of what you do outside the neighborhood is 15+ minutes away. There is very little traffic, it's a true all-the-time 15 minutes.

If you're having ANY problem finding neighborhoods that have 3,000 sqft, first floor master, and at least a 0.2 acre lot for $750K for less that aren't in downtown/"Midtown" Raleigh, then there's more to this story than we've been told.
When we first started looking, we thought Governor’s Club sounded like a convenient location. We called the realty company associated with that area, and they set us up with our current agent. We ultimately decided that Governor’s Club wasn’t for us, but we liked our agent and decided to stick with her. She’s been great so far, very thorough and honest in her opinions.

We’re not all that familiar with NC (we visited once several years ago) and are trying to find a home while still in RI due to COVID. We’re also considering just renting in the Triangle area while we look for something more permanent. The reason we like the Triangle is because of the proximity to UNC, Duke, and the airport.

We’ve found the biggest challenge has been finding a home that doesn’t have any steps leading into the house, either via the front door or through the garage. Even a single, 3- or 4-inch step would be acceptable, but even that is hard to find.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'd also suggest looking at the Chapel Ridge golf community and the northern part of Pittsboro. I saw one home in the about $575K with four bedrooms on the main floor, which was MLS# 2379294. Another about $595K in Chapel Ridge with three bedrooms on the main floor, MLS# 2379408. Both had plenty of room for a home office.

BTW, Zillow has a "coming soon" feature which shows listing a day or 2 before they make it to Realtor. In this competitive market, it is wise to check these out.
Thanks for this! We’ve been checking every day; the market is absolutely insane!

Old 04-24-2021, 05:38 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Thanks for this! We’ve been checking every day; the market is absolutely insane!
Another in Chapel Ridge at $625K, with three steps at the front door. Two bedrooms and an office on the main floor. MLS# 2375149. (The other two I mentioned have more that three from steps.)

Chapel Ridge is also in the 15 minutes away from shopping category, but Chatham County will grow in the next few years.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:42 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,420,936 times
[quote=Filibustamove;60897982 We’re not all that familiar with NC (we visited once several years ago) and are trying to find a home while still in RI due to COVID. We’re also considering just renting in the Triangle area while we look for something more permanent. The reason we like the Triangle is because of the proximity to UNC, Duke, and the airport. [/QUOTE]

Just to give you some idea....I’m also from RI. Living at the Preserve would be more like living in Chepachet or Glocester. It’s out there.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:51 PM

6,376 posts, read 5,489,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Another in Chapel Ridge at $625K, with three steps at the front door. Two bedrooms and an office on the main floor. MLS# 2375149. (The other two I mentioned have more that three from steps.)

Chapel Ridge is also in the 15 minutes away from shopping category, but Chatham County will grow in the next few years.
If Preserve at Jordan Lake is remote.... Chapel Ridge is in the BOONIES.

I think OP would be happier in an established area in West Cary like Cary Park or Amberly or maybe Briar Chapel if they are going to focus on Chatham County and lot size size isn't a big priority.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:10 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
I"m surprised there are that many houses outside 55+ communities with no steps.

Renting would be a REALLY good idea if you've only been here once.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Just to give you some idea....I’m also from RI. Living at the Preserve would be more like living in Chepachet or Glocester. It’s out there.
Hello, fellow Rhode Islander! We’re currently living in Providence, East Side to be exact, and I can honestly say I’ve never been to either of those towns. I have been to East Greenwich, and that seemed remote to me. If the Preserve is even MORE remote than East Greenwich, we’re definitely going to need to rethink possibly moving to that area...

Old 04-24-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
If Preserve at Jordan Lake is remote.... Chapel Ridge is in the BOONIES.

I think OP would be happier in an established area in West Cary like Cary Park or Amberly or maybe Briar Chapel if they are going to focus on Chatham County and lot size size isn't a big priority.
Lot size isn’t such a big deal (the stairs and proximity to excellent medical care are our top priorities by far), but we are considering resale value as well. Are there any areas that tend to hold their value better than others? The only thing I really know about Chatham County is that the schools aren’t great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary