Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 08:00 AM

43,511 posts, read 77,526,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
There is a difference between Andersen and Raanta. There's a reason why Andersen was the #1. Statistically the difference is small, but in the playoffs a small difference is winning or losing. If Andersen is healthy, there's a good chance that he steals one of the games that the Canes lost.

It's very disappointing for the Canes to exit after round 2, but at least they weren't embarrassed like Florida was.

The stretch from mid-March to mid-April when the Canes went 7-11 was a wakeup call. They finished the season with six straight wins, but five of those six opponents didn't make the playoffs. I thought the Canes looked like a tired team by mid-March. Another way of looking at it: opponents discovered that the key to defeating the Canes was shutting down the Aho line. Succeed in that, and the rest of the lineup was good but not great... particularly with Necas a non-factor from February onward. Unless there was an undisclosed injury, I have to wonder what was going on in his head.

We'll have to wait and see what the lineup looks like in October. It would help if Ryan Suzuki, the #1 pick in 2019, or Jack Drury is able to fill a slot. The Canes will enter next season with so much salary that they need a young, low-paid forward who can score to step up -- like Jarvis did this year. Or to put it differently, the Canes would not have won 7 playoff games without Jarvis.

In the end, it was clear that the 2021-22 Canes were not as good as the 2005-06 team that won the Cup.

Good analysis.
I am waiting to see which players were playing through dings and injuries, because it sure looked like the edge was off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 08:33 AM

1,244 posts, read 1,084,752 times
Quote:
There is a difference between Andersen and Raanta. There's a reason why Andersen was the #1. Statistically the difference is small, but in the playoffs a small difference is winning or losing. If Andersen is healthy, there's a good chance that he steals one of the games that the Canes lost.

It's very disappointing for the Canes to exit after round 2, but at least they weren't embarrassed like Florida was.

The stretch from mid-March to mid-April when the Canes went 7-11 was a wakeup call. They finished the season with six straight wins, but five of those six opponents didn't make the playoffs. I thought the Canes looked like a tired team by mid-March. Another way of looking at it: opponents discovered that the key to defeating the Canes was shutting down the Aho line. Succeed in that, and the rest of the lineup was good but not great... particularly with Necas a non-factor from February onward. Unless there was an undisclosed injury, I have to wonder what was going on in his head.

We'll have to wait and see what the lineup looks like in October. It would help if Ryan Suzuki, the #1 pick in 2019, or Jack Drury is able to fill a slot. The Canes will enter next season with so much salary that they need a young, low-paid forward who can score to step up -- like Jarvis did this year. Or to put it differently, the Canes would not have won 7 playoff games without Jarvis.

In the end, it was clear that the 2021-22 Canes were not as good as the 2005-06 team that won the Cup.
Yep... facing 200 shots (about 28 shots averaged in 7 games), a 92% save percentage vs a 90% save percentage is 4 goals.... or more than half a goal per game. That could obviously be crucial.

Like you said, the team finished the regular season hot... but played mostly weak competition (and a game vs the Rangers being the only playoff opponent in that stretch). Before that, I agree they looked tired.

On top of that, the team has a collection of good players... but other than maybe Aho there aren't any real stars. Svech is still developing. Maybe next year can be a break out for him. Heck, even though Aho seems as if he has been around forever but he's only 24.

Otherwise, you broke it down well. At the end of the day, 2nd/3rd round was about what I saw out if thus group and that's what we got. Andersen may have helped us get by NYR... but neither of us were getting by TB anyways. I think TB takes down the Rangers in 5.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:26 AM

2,711 posts, read 1,298,904 times
Power play efficiency and injuries to goaltenders. That's what cost the Canes this series.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:31 AM

4,295 posts, read 4,754,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I think TB takes down the Rangers in 5.
If Vasilevskiy plays to his potential, I expect TB and Colorado in the finals. But Colorado is so good that I doubt TB can beat them, and besides there is the thin air that TB or NYR won't be accustomed to.

Old 05-31-2022, 03:29 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,238,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Good analysis.
I am waiting to see which players were playing through dings and injuries, because it sure looked like the edge was off.
Yes, totally different team. Hope Jarvis is ok, that looked scary.

Old 06-02-2022, 02:43 PM

8,822 posts, read 10,294,552 times
They concluded exit interviews today, it seems overall they understand that this was a missed opportunity. Lot of guys banged up, Bear was on crutches and a walking boot for instance, apparently he had something removed from his foot

It's still disappointing overall how this season finished. I thought they started looking suspect right around February, they started looking and playing like they were burned out. It's a long season and everyone goes through it but I guess for a team that had Cup aspirations they started looking ahead too early?

Old 06-02-2022, 05:41 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,079,373 times
Quote:
If Vasilevskiy plays to his potential, I expect TB and Colorado in the finals. But Colorado is so good that I doubt TB can beat them, and besides there is the thin air that TB or NYR won't be accustomed to.
I do think Colorado is my favorite to win the Cup right now, which is extremely frustrating, because that COL vs STL series turned on a dime when Kadri injured Binnington.

Old 06-26-2022, 08:29 AM

8,822 posts, read 10,294,552 times
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wra...%3fversion=amp

AHL affiliate wins Calder (AHLs version of Stanley) 2nd year in a row.

Old 06-26-2022, 11:21 AM

4,295 posts, read 4,754,629 times
Of the top 6 scorers on the Wolves during the regular season, only Drury is younger than 26. That's a veteran team for the AHL. Maybe some of these older players are late bloomers. I hope so because the Canes desperately need forwards that can score. I've got to think Drury will get every chance to make the Canes in September, but the safer play is to sign or trade for someone who is a known finisher... without sacrificing defense.

Old 06-26-2022, 12:51 PM

43,511 posts, read 77,526,384 times
Quote:
Of the top 6 scorers on the Wolves during the regular season, only Drury is younger than 26. That's a veteran team for the AHL. Maybe some of these older players are late bloomers. I hope so because the Canes desperately need forwards that can score. I've got to think Drury will get every chance to make the Canes in September, but the safer play is to sign or trade for someone who is a known finisher... without sacrificing defense.

Canes will top out on the Cap, and will need more skill from depth. Drury has two years go on his ELC, and may well be that affordable productive depth guy Necas was to be.

Don has a ton of work to do, and probably some sleepless nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary