Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 09:10 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,545,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I will make a few phone calls to see what I can find. But most stores don’t have stuff just hiding in the back room.
It might not be in the back room. You said yourself you forgot about the Japanese stuff, so you might have just missed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 09:26 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,889,028 times
Ironically, we had dinner at the City Club yesterday and met their "whiskey sommelier", Justin Skinner. Since ClubCorp owns City Club, you have access to it. You might try calling them. Maybe they could sell you a bottle. (I used to buy a specific rum made in India from BCCC. Probably illegal, but WTH.)

I'm sure Whiskey Kitchen has a wide selection by the glass.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:41 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,875,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I was too focused on the out of stock Macallan 12 and finding a substitute and forgot about the Japanese stuff. Plus yea not every employee knows the inventory. I picked up some Speyside stuff so I'm ok.

I did get a bottle of Macallan 25 at a Morrisville ABC store once. (TW Alexander)
How do ABC's prices for things like Macallan, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie etc. compare with out of state prices? I never bought anything like those in NC and used to at Duty Free when traveling international more often than late.

Old 06-27-2021, 06:30 AM

5,907 posts, read 6,982,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Curious why you didn't ask the employee?
I've been in some ABC stores where the atmosphere makes you feel guilty just by walking in. I can see why you wouldn't want to talk to employees in stores like those.

Some friends are part of a local FB group, focused on finding certain bourbons.

Old 06-27-2021, 06:38 AM

1,204 posts, read 780,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
How do ABC's prices for things like Macallan, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie etc. compare with out of state prices? I never bought anything like those in NC and used to at Duty Free when traveling international more often than late.
I’ve been to ABC once. But having grown up in a commie regime I intuitively know the answer to the question. Do they carry it? maybe. Is it cheap, yup, it’s state owned for Lenin’s sake, of course we have the best price for the proletariat. Is it readily available? You wish, you capitalist pigs, where do you think you live? In America or something? When we have it, we may put up a sign… we may not though. You have to call, yes, land line. There will be a long line and it’ll be gone in 2 hours. There won’t be any customer service either. Look at the price list, say how many boxes you want and don’t ask questions.

Okay, ABC frequent customers, what % did I get right?

Old 06-27-2021, 06:42 AM

312 posts, read 300,679 times
I have purchased Suntory Whisky Toki from the ABC on Davis in Morrisville. I'm sure the other ABC stores carry it at least some times. I believe I've also seen Hibiki Suntory Whiskey there and other places too. Its relatively smooth.

I remember the Toki clearly because it was what I was drinking a glass when I sliced my hand open with a hook bill knife trying to remove some thick zip ties from a box I was unpacking. I had to get stitches.. Alcohol and dangerous things something something don't mix.

Old 06-27-2021, 07:22 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,063,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Anecdotally, here is what I have found since moving here.

Booze - selection is crap compared to private Package stores in MA. Prices are also noticeably higher here for booze than MA. For instance a handle of Dewars White Label (nothing fancy in the slightest, but was BiL/Parents/my go to Scotch for Friday bridge night) was sub $20-23. Think I saw it for 34 when I was at the ABC on Weds.

My sister pays 40 for Bibb and Tucker in MA. It’s 59 here

However you can’t buy beer or wine anywhere but a package store in MA (with few exceptions) so NC has it on convenience for non booze.

Old 06-27-2021, 07:44 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,063,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I’ve been to ABC once. But having grown up in a commie regime I intuitively know the answer to the question. Do they carry it? maybe. Is it cheap, yup, it’s state owned for Lenin’s sake, of course we have the best price for the proletariat. Is it readily available? You wish, you capitalist pigs, where do you think you live? In America or something? When we have it, we may put up a sign… we may not though. You have to call, yes, land line. There will be a long line and it’ll be gone in 2 hours. There won’t be any customer service either. Look at the price list, say how many boxes you want and don’t ask questions.

Okay, ABC frequent customers, what % did I get right?
Other than the price aspect, pretty spot on.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:04 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,545,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I've been in some ABC stores where the atmosphere makes you feel guilty just by walking in. I can see why you wouldn't want to talk to employees in stores like those.
i don't really understand this (guilty for what?), but I'll take your word for it.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:02 AM

4,266 posts, read 4,725,235 times
Eventually the NC ABC system will be dismantled as more people move here from states where liquor retail is a private business. But it could take another 20 years.

According to https://portal.abc.nc.gov/Web%20Docu...May%202021.pdf,
Yamazaki 12 is authorized for sale in the state. Retail price is $130. The trick is finding a store that carries it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary