Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 08:37 AM

22,742 posts, read 36,999,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
My friends son has a buddy on Raleigh PD who said the snake had been loose since last October. Survived the winter because its native habitat is a desert, which gets cold at night (not fact-checked). Seems very coincidental that the reporter, with cameraman in tow, just happens to find it. Fake news?
WRAL reported that the police had been called to the home a few days previously. Possible this kid didn't know one of the 70 were missing? If I had 70 pets I might miss one. Who knows. But the original picture and 911 call came from someone in the neighborhood.

As far as the police, we have no idea of the cost because it's possible, even likely, that the ones on that street that day were on OT as others already on duty attended to their established sectors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 08:39 AM

43,512 posts, read 77,526,384 times
Just waiting for some genius to pop in and say, "The snake was from Durham..."

Old 07-07-2021, 02:31 PM

22,742 posts, read 36,999,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
My friends son has a buddy on Raleigh PD who said the snake had been loose since last October. Survived the winter because its native habitat is a desert, which gets cold at night (not fact-checked). Seems very coincidental that the reporter, with cameraman in tow, just happens to find it. Fake news?
Of the 40 charges against this kid, this is apparently one of them. Didn't want to believe it LOL. Probably under the neighbor's siding the whole time!

Old 07-08-2021, 07:21 AM

4,295 posts, read 4,754,629 times
Will be interesting to see how the DA and the accused's lawyer negotiate this. With no priors, a Class 2 misdemeanor conviction in NC can bring up to 30 days of "intermediate punishment" and up to a $1000 fine. Intermediate punishment in NC means something like a split sentence (combination of limited jail time and probation), house arrest with electronic monitoring, etc. Multiply those numbers by 40, and the DA has real leverage. Other than insanity, I can't imagine any defense that the accused could offer at trial.

I hope a plea bargain will include a requirement that the accused can own no venomous snakes in the future.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:10 AM

9,377 posts, read 14,246,111 times
Feeling bad for the dude. We need people who specialize in wild species. He may have needed a more knowledgeable mentor to prevent these problems though. But by heavily punishing him it will prevent others from admitting when something like this happens, to try to prevent injuries. Instead they might just ignore and deny.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:59 AM

1,462 posts, read 670,832 times
Ummmm....how about we leave DANGEROUS species in their natural habitat and not have ANY of them in captivity? What kind of existence do they have while the human carries out some cruel, macho I'm goin make up for feeling like a neglected small little boy/man by having me some life threatening creatures in the house. WHAT could go wrong?

Maybe the old dudes could back away for a bit on their stance on "Reefer Madness" and ENACT some laws so NO ONE has wild creatures like these as "PETS."

Old 07-08-2021, 09:05 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,073,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Feeling bad for the dude. We need people who specialize in wild species. He may have needed a more knowledgeable mentor to prevent these problems though. But by heavily punishing him it will prevent others from admitting when something like this happens, to try to prevent injuries. Instead they might just ignore and deny.
Don't we have those already....in zoos?

There's an adage I use (more frequently than I should) in my line of work (Marketing technology)

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Fire the Tiger King (or in this case the Snake King) into the Sun at tremendous speed and all these at home non domesticated pet people would cease to exist in a hot minute.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Ummmm....how about we leave DANGEROUS species in their natural habitat and not have ANY of them in captivity? What kind of existence do they have while the human carries out some cruel, macho I'm goin make up for feeling like a neglected small little boy/man by having me some life threatening creatures in the house. WHAT could go wrong?

Maybe the old dudes could back away for a bit on their stance on "Reefer Madness" and ENACT some laws so NO ONE has wild creatures like these as "PETS."

70 some odd non native snakes in your home does scream tiny peen syndrome.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:54 AM

5,915 posts, read 7,040,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Ummmm....how about we leave DANGEROUS species in their natural habitat and not have ANY of them in captivity?
If there are none in captivity, where do you get the venom, which is used to make the anti-venom?

Old 07-08-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
If there are none in captivity, where do you get the venom, which is used to make the anti-venom?
Doesn't this sorta become a chicken and the egg thing? A sorta Geometry Proof if you will. Two lines of thought shared in previous posts.

1. How about we leave DANGEROUS species in their natural habitat and not have ANY of them in captivity?
2. If there are none in captivity, where you do you get venom, which is used to make the anti-venom.

The logical conclusion, from my seat is as follows (using the Zebra Cobra as the example)

Yes we need anti venoms, but we need anti venoms for snakes we have a reasonable expectation of running into - here those would be Copperhead, Timber, Cotton Mouth, Diamondback, Pigmy and Coral. Zebra Cobra anti venom would not be needed here because they aren't native to the area and only exist because of yahoos like this clown bringing them here.

As such, if 1 and 2 are true, then 3 is as well.

1. If the snake isn't indigenous to an area

AND

2. You don't allow them in residential captivity

THEN

3. You have no need whatsoever for the anti-venom.

Let the people of Southern Africa concern themselves with anti-venom supply (or zoos that display them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary