Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 07:45 PM

6,659 posts, read 5,614,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Thanks. I posted because I was curious who would prefer one route over another. Always look at traffic, yes. I suppose preference depends on what side of town you're on. I usually take Glenwood. I remember road work that makes the signs and exits hard to see.
I take whatever route is the quickest way to get me there

Though I sympathize and know my parents have preferred routes (I'm visiting them this week in Boston) even though it make zero sense from a travel time/mileage standpoint, they prefer them because it avoids this one intersection that they hate or a left turn her etc.... They grew up learning their way around the area though without modern conveniences like GPS (I had to print out Mapquest directions for family road trips as a kid)

Last edited by pierretong1991; 07-16-2021 at 09:10 PM..

Old 07-17-2021, 05:22 AM

428 posts, read 226,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Don't do the bolded part on a Friday during rush hour. The construction work going on around Exit 301 typically backs up traffic on Fridays to a crawl if that on the Gorman Street Exit 295 or even 293 (US 1/64). Better off taking I-40 and going in on Wade Avenue into downtown.
Can’t wait until 540 punches through to 40 so I can skip this mess on Friday afternoons (even without construction delays) when heading to the beach. While there are already options to bypass, this should knock a good 15 minutes or more off the drive.

Old 07-17-2021, 08:02 AM

18,266 posts, read 15,812,120 times
I notice directions and parking create a lot of angst for you, as I recall prior posts where you ask for directions.

Do you have a smartphone?

Download Waze, a free GPS map & crowdsource app to navigate you from point a to b, and show you the best route to go and let you know ahead of time if there are any accidents, traffic jams, etc.

And of course Google Maps is a very useful app, one I use all the time. It will even show you where to park. Google will calculate what time you need to leave your starting location to get to where you want to be by a certain time, and of course they have all the traffic & accident info updated & showing on their maps.

Technology for the win!

Old 07-19-2021, 05:59 AM

67 posts, read 49,839 times
Waze knows the best way. Even when I know where I'm going, I use Waze because accidents happen all the time and what is usually the best route, no longer is. As long as it didn't happen in the last 5 minutes, Waze always knows.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:59 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,273,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I take whatever route is the quickest way to get me there

Though I sympathize and know my parents have preferred routes (I'm visiting them this week in Boston) even though it make zero sense from a travel time/mileage standpoint, they prefer them because it avoids this one intersection that they hate or a left turn her etc.... They grew up learning their way around the area though without modern conveniences like GPS (I had to print out Mapquest directions for family road trips as a kid)
have a seat, I'll tell you a story.

when I started in RE, we didn't have GPS. We didn't have internet maps like Mapquest. I used an 11x14 bound map of Wake County; you looked up the street in an index. It told you what page of the map, and the grid # (like A4 for X and Y axis references).

We also had pagers though thankfully I avoided it. And, back then, you were high-falutin if you had an installed cell phone in the car.

Old 07-20-2021, 02:22 PM

6,659 posts, read 5,614,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

when I started in RE, we didn't have GPS. We didn't have internet maps like Mapquest. I used an 11x14 bound map of Wake County; you looked up the street in an index. It told you what page of the map, and the grid # (like A4 for X and Y axis references).

We also had pagers though thankfully I avoided it. And, back then, you were high-falutin if you had an installed cell phone in the car.
I'm old enough that we had a stack of map books in the car with the street references during elementary school - we moved on to Mapquest by middle school. By high school I was asking my parents for a flip phone that I could play Tetris on.

Old 07-20-2021, 02:33 PM

43,418 posts, read 77,358,279 times
Quote:

LOL
When you look at listings where the listing agent cannot give street directions, you just know they are like, "Map? Huh?"

Old 07-20-2021, 06:01 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,878,846 times
Quote:

Hold my beer.....

I didn't have a GPS in Japan. I had a Mapple.

3/4"-thick book of maps with no English. You learn by using.

https://www.mapple.co.jp/en/wp-conte...6-1024x697.png

Last edited by Repatriot; 07-20-2021 at 06:10 PM..

Old 07-20-2021, 11:48 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,224,600 times
Quote:

You lost me at "index". LOL
But seriously, thanks for the reminder of the hellish life us older folks used to live before smartphones.

For an encore, let's talk about unfolding and folding unwieldy maps while driving! :-)

Old 07-21-2021, 05:49 AM

6,828 posts, read 9,085,878 times
I had a car with navigation in 2001. I still carried a set of paper maps in the car as backup. I think I tossed them in the recycle bin around 2012?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary