Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times

Advertisements

During lunch today I took a little stroll down Glenwood Avenue in Downtown Raleigh from Peace Street to Hillsborough Street. Here are a few pictures of the shops, condos, and views along the way.

Map of the Area Covered (Highlighted in Blue)

The Mellow Mushroom on the corner of Peace Street and Glenwood Avenue

The Starbucks on Peace Street with the Paramount Condo Building in Background

Serena Spa and Salon on Peace Street

Cool looking Vacant building on Peace Street

Nice Mural along Peace Street

Mojoe’s Burger Joint

Harry’s Guitar Shop

A look down Glenwood Avenue

Escazu Chocolates and Casablanca Hookah Lounge

Haven Nightclub

The New Brooklyn Heights Bar

Tasca Brava (Tapas)

A look at the 712 Tucker Condo Constrcution Site

Entrance to Red Room (http://www.redroomraleigh.com/ - broken link) (Tapas) Hi5 (Sports Bar) and Bogart's (http://www.bogartsamericangrill.com/ - broken link) (Americana)

The Creamery (The George Wine Bar and Sullivan's Steakhouse on Ground Level)

The New Solas Restaurant and Lounge (With Rooftop Lounge)

Enoteca Vin Restaurant & Wine Bar

The Hibernian Irish Pub

The New 222 Glenwood Condos

View of New West at North Condos

518 West Italian Cafe

Turkish Delights Pastries and Desserts

Amra's Cigar and Jazz Bar

View Down Side Street

The Cupcake Shoppe Bakery

Old Building Converted into Law Offices

View of Downtown Buildings from Hillsborough Street (Left to Right) Wachovia Building, The New RBC Plaza, BB&T Building

Snoopy's Hot dogs at the Intersection of Glenwood Avenue and Hillsborough Street

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 07-18-2008 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 05:49 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,420,936 times
Great pics as always NRG ! Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:01 PM

150 posts, read 506,851 times
Thanks so much for the great pics! Your pics reminded me of a couple of places that I wanted to visit when we last drove into Raleigh...namely the Cupcake Shoppe and Turkish Delights...Ah well, you can see where I am going here
Thanks North Raleigh Guy

Old 07-18-2008, 07:20 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,306,864 times
You were literally just around the corner from where I work, NRG! However, I wasn't there today - I have a four-day workweek.

Don'tcha just love the area?

That "cool looking vacant building" on Peace Street used to be the home of Carolina Tiffany's. They've relocated to Capital Blvd. There used to be an old house next door to it, but it was moved to make way for a small condo project (I believe the sign is still there). They were supposed to move or demolish the house you photographed as well, but I think the project has stalled.

There's a huge tree directly on that corner of Peace and Boylan that I love, and that will probably go when they do start construction. That will be a sad day.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:27 PM

337 posts, read 1,138,402 times
Great Pics. Thanks for posting them. One correction though, The 712 Tucker building will be apartments.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:56 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,241 times
Nice pics.

I remember being near Glenwood the last time I visited the area. The new construction that close to the existing, low-density development was an interesting contrast.

What are the chances of Raleigh upzoning that area? Slim, I hope.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:58 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,341,427 times
NRG you did it again! Great Pics! Having never seen that area I know feel like I have! Thanks much!

Old 07-19-2008, 06:56 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighmark View Post
The 712 Tucker building will be apartments.
Thansk for that correction. I didn't realize they were going to be apartments.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:52 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Thansk for that correction. I didn't realize they were going to be apartments.
They WERE going to be condos until the developer realized that they couldn't effectivly compete with some projects that got a jump start on them (222 and West). I think it was a terrific move by the developer and will give younger people more opportunity to live in the area. For example: while a $300,000.00 condo in the area with a minimal downpayment will probably cost an owner well over $2000/month including taxes, PMI and H.O. dues, I suspect the apartments will be priced like the ones at Oberlin Court: (900's-High $1000's) depending on the size.

I looked into investing in one of the units when they were intending to sell them. The vast majority of units in the building were 1 bedroom. There were some larger units on some corners and even some 2 story units but most of them are perfectly sized for young single professionals or young childless couples. I am guessing that the unit plans didn't change and that this is still the mix in the building. I actually gave the developer feedback that I thought the property had way too many 1bedroom units to be successful as a condo. I just don't think Raleigh's a 1 bedroom condo town (yet). In the end, it think it's going to be a nice option for the neighborhood.

BTW, thanks for the photos of my neighborhood. I wish I better understood how post photos here! I'd love to add some nighttime/weekend shots that show all the activity and nightlife.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:59 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,982 times
NRG, awesome pics!

I love the Glenwood South, Five Points and Cameron Village areas of Raleigh. It's great to see so many business doing well and so many downtown residential options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary