Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 08:04 PM

26,706 posts, read 41,859,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The scammer then cited some phony failure to appear and contempt of court citation numbers. He told her to pay with Money Pack debit cards.

“I said, ‘I can’t believe they would take gift cards,'” said Johnson. “He said, ‘Ma’am everybody pays this way in court.'”

The scammers first sent her to a Sheetz in Apex to get $1,500 worth of cards but that was not the end of it.
This should have been the red flag. The amount of fine for missing jury duty is $50.

https://www.nccourts.gov/help-topics...-deferral-4260

Quote:
The court could hold you in contempt and / or impose a $50 fine for each time you fail to appear. If you lose your jury summons, contact the Clerk of Superior Court office in your county as soon as possible to obtain reporting information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 08:12 PM

43,458 posts, read 77,428,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If she's a realtor, her whole life is about answering unknown numbers.
Yes.
Indeed.
Gotta have a modicum of Spidey Sense.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:51 AM

13,730 posts, read 12,527,528 times
Quote:
If she's a realtor, her whole life is about answering unknown numbers.
If she's a realtor, I don't want her within 1000 feet of my transaction. "Hello Mees, I am with Department of FBI financial investigations and we must audit a transaction you're brokering please instruct client to redirect moneys to OUR escrow account first for safekeeping."

Old 07-22-2021, 12:08 PM

57 posts, read 47,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
How did she pay for the gift cards? $6000 cash is a lot to keep on-hand. Most banks won't let someone withdraw that much cash at ATMs in a single day, and many banks would raise questions about multiple same-day withdrawals in person. I suppose she could have withdrawn $6000 cash in a single transaction. If she paid by credit card, most credit card companies will flag multiple same-day transactions of that nature. I know because someone compromised a card of mine and managed to buy four gift cards at a Walmart before Visa detected the activity and froze the card until they reached me.
But even if the transactions were flagged by her bank, they would only have asked her if she made the charges. If she said that she did, they would probably unfreeze her card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udelslayer View Post
I don't believe a word of this. Something _else_ is going on.
I don't know why you find it so hard to believe. Unfortunately, plenty of people fall for scams like this.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:57 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,749,054 times
Quote:
It’s a shame that Sheetz employees didn’t realize what was happening… I’ve heard of employees of stores putting a stop to these kinds of things. But yeah - it’s almost as if this woman has never watched the news, but no one ever thinks they will fall for something like this. This woman is way too young to believe that the police are watching you drive around getting gift cards. They must have got her name from a conspiracy theory website LOL.

My friend works at a grocery store and sees this happen from time to time. He tries to warn them but they are always so certain it isn't a scam. That's the problem with stupid people. They are always so certain about everything.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:00 PM

43,458 posts, read 77,428,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
My friend works at a grocery store and sees this happen from time to time. He tries to warn them but they are always so certain it isn't a scam. That's the problem with stupid people. They are always so certain about everything.
Widely accepted alternatives to traditional checking accounts and cash and credit cards make people more comfortable with oddball stuff.
We aren't a particularly financially sophisticated or knowledgeable society. Easy pickings for scammers.

Heck, you can buy bitcoin for cash or credit in vending machines at C-Stores. LMAO!!

Old 07-24-2021, 08:55 AM

25,115 posts, read 16,289,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
She's a real estate broker...you'd think ferreting out scams would be high on her awareness list. I get that stress can make you do irrational things, but man, the alarm bells were ringing early, often, and loud on that one.
ay caramba.

the idea that any government agency would tell you to get gift cards.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:03 AM

25,115 posts, read 16,289,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes.
Indeed.
Gotta have a modicum of Spidey Sense.
Yes, I almost sorta got scammed about 2 years ago. They said they were AT&T, and someone had tried to buy a new phone in my name, and I needed to change my password or somesuch.

They got me to take one action, their issue was that AT&T sent me text message with a "here's your text, if you requested it. AT&T will never request information from you over the phone" or similar.

So fortunately, having seen that text, I toyed with the scammers briefly (gave them the wrong code from what was texted to me - they actually were about to gain access to my phone account - they said it didn't work) and then asked ....

"So how many people a day actually fall for this? Why can't you get a real job?"

*click*

Old 07-24-2021, 09:29 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,954,840 times
We usually get the same type of scammers calls but I recently got a new one.

I have a California cell phone number and this time the call said that they were going to be doing rolling blackouts in our area (an unfortunate part of living in California during this time of year) and that if we didn't want our service interrupted to press a certain number.

Sad to say...... I think that there might be quite a few that will fall for this one (especially the elderly) :-(

Old 07-24-2021, 11:13 AM

22,728 posts, read 36,946,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Yes, I almost sorta got scammed about 2 years ago. They said they were AT&T, and someone had tried to buy a new phone in my name, and I needed to change my password or somesuch.

They got me to take one action, their issue was that AT&T sent me text message with a "here's your text, if you requested it. AT&T will never request information from you over the phone" or similar.

So fortunately, having seen that text, I toyed with the scammers briefly (gave them the wrong code from what was texted to me - they actually were about to gain access to my phone account - they said it didn't work) and then asked ....

"So how many people a day actually fall for this? Why can't you get a real job?"

*click*
When I get a call from "whoever" about my account being "whatever-ed" I always, ALWAYS say "OK let me call you back"....if it's legit they say OK, got it, understand. If not.....all hell breaks loose.

I had someone trying to hack my twitter account for a solid year. Mine. I'm not famous and at the time never even used it. I was constantly getting texts asking my to input the number that was texted. I was like how many times are we gonna go through this? I actually felt like tweeting "stop trying to hack me because it's not gonna work!" I still can't figure out why MY account was so important to anyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary