Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 08:24 AM

470 posts, read 703,173 times

Advertisements

Agree this is the worst time to buy a new car. Like the housing market you can get a great trade-in but that means you also have to buy a replacement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 09:49 AM

376 posts, read 655,086 times
Not a great time to buy in terms of "deals". You'll probably pay sticker price or close to it w/o much room for negotiating. Especially the hot models like the Kia Telluride- people are on waiting lists for those.

We just bought a less in demand model, Hyundai Santa Fe. $1500 off MSRP (through rebates) but no more negotiating. They had 2 on the lot.

We went to Leith Honda- one Passport, zero CRVs. Auto Park Kia flat out "we have no Sorentos or Tellurides".

In a weird way, the inventory could make it less stressful for introverts or people who dread haggling- there isn't much to haggle over if there is only one car on the lot you want.

I've found in the past the "hardest sell" was actually the extended warranty and maintenance plans- though Johnson Hyundai we were pleased let it go pretty easily.

Old 08-09-2021, 12:30 PM

385 posts, read 349,631 times
I have a family member deep in Detroit's supply chain management. The parts problem is not going to end anytime soon. Think years not months. Hot selling Jeep factory closed last week. Like any shortage people are panic buying to make it worse. Container rates have gone from $700 to $14,000 on some shipments. Port and rail infrastructure cannot even keep up with consumer goods. Auto repair shops are going to do well!

Old 08-09-2021, 01:56 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,548,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
We went to Leith Honda- one Passport, zero CRVs.

-----

I've found in the past the "hardest sell" was actually the extended warranty and maintenance plans- though Johnson Hyundai we were pleased let it go pretty easily.

Over 255 new Honda vehicles at the Myrtle Beach store!
The finance & insurance (F&I) employees are the highest paid in a typical store.

Buying a car? Get trained on how to do it here: https://www.youtube.com/user/kevinhunter7
Timely video, with his usual video chapters: https://youtu.be/jaSAAhjcWYw

Old 08-09-2021, 03:04 PM

376 posts, read 655,086 times
Ha! Yep I love the Kevin videos- that's what taught me about all the extended warranty paint protection junk which is the most profitable.

Leith Honda says 11 CRVs on their website but when we got there were zero...â€we can't update the internet every 5 minutesâ€. Hmm seems you never update it!

Old 08-09-2021, 06:45 PM

41 posts, read 44,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
I'm one of those rare people who actually love the car buying process, although not in this market.

Best of luck with finding the perfect Highlander!
Same here, but it will be a while before we can do it again.

It's not the greatest time to buy a car, but you can still find good deals. If you are set on a Toyota, I recommend Tom at Toyota of Apex. He's great.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:12 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,548,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Not quite inventory related but just numerous problems in the purchasing process and general unresponsiveness from Carvana when issues arise.

Agree!, their Carvana Raleigh vending machine has been shut down for 180 days...

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...ty-until-2022/

Old 08-11-2021, 04:46 AM

4,579 posts, read 3,777,085 times
That's sad to see - I've heard so many good things about Carvana from friends about buying a used car from them and the quality. They said it was so easy to purchase from them.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:20 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,291,700 times
Man I'm really bummed about that. Carvana was so awesome a few years ago, I vowed to never buy anywhere else. Sounds like they've taken a dive though.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:11 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,248,906 times
it sounds like Carvana wanted to do things their way, as if transfer/registration laws were uniform across the US.

translating to my experience, it's similar to what the "internet real estate" companies have discovered, sometimes the hard way.

Innovation is awesome. The problem is when you're dealing with 50 different states and potentially 50 different set of laws. And don't want to do your due diligence on how those laws impact your business model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary