Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2021, 06:01 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times

Advertisements

What difference does it make if it’s in Cary or Apex? I would challenge you to know you’ve “crossed the border”. As I said to my sister the other day (she lives in Apex and I’m in Cary) I bet most people are going to be wondering whether they are in one or the other a lot if the time…because Cary now has a mask mandate and apex doesn’t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 08:28 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
The longer this thread gets, the more I think the OP won't find what she wants anyplace in The Triangle or NC.

I'm not sure where this perfect dream house and location exists.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:59 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The longer this thread gets, the more I think the OP won't find what she wants anyplace in The Triangle or NC.

I'm not sure where this perfect dream house and location exists.
I think this is true. California architecture is pretty different from NC architecture. If you're looking for something like what you see out there over here it's that unicorn again. That's not the usual style we build here. You might get lucky and stumble across it, but it's not the kind of house we typically build.

Old 08-18-2021, 10:24 AM

Expecting to find your dream house pre-built, when you're fully committed to that vision is not going to happen. Expecting to find it here, on a landscaped lot, but not too much yard work, but with other homes that are similar, is near to impossible. I mean I have a dream house too....but absent winning Mega Millions probably not gonna happen.

And getting a new build here most likely means a clear cut lot, unless you buy your own land and build.

Old 08-18-2021, 11:09 AM

598 posts, read 333,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Expecting to find your dream house pre-built, when you're fully committed to that vision is not going to happen. Expecting to find it here, on a landscaped lot, but not too much yard work, but with other homes that are similar, is near to impossible. I mean I have a dream house too....but absent winning Mega Millions probably not gonna happen.
We had a hard enough time finding a conveniently located house with an attached two-car garage that didn't have an open floor plan when we bought our house a couple years ago. I didn't think our demands were crazy, but two-car garages on houses old enough to not have an open floor plan are not as common in this area as one might expect. Especially when you want a lot that has mature trees and is bigger than a postage stamp.

Old 08-18-2021, 11:46 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Thank you, but isn't that Apex? And does it matter?

You live in a nice neighborhood, and it looks like good value; however, we don't want a clear cut, bare lot (been there, done that, too old and tired to do it again) and would really prefer pretty, mature landscaping in a more mature neighborhood. A new house in an old neighborhood that we do not need to build ourselves would be great, or a highly renovated older house.
I don't know if folks have mentioned it here, but the town doesn't really matter much here. It's just the mailing address. School Districts are a county wide thing, hence property taxes are largely a county function. Library's are a county wide program too. A place within the city limits of one vs another may have slightly different tax rates but it shouldn't be enough to move your decision. And, one can easily live in a house that has a (Cary, Morrisville, Apex, Holly Springs) mailing address and have little functional relationship with that city, especially if they're in the County. One can live in Raleigh, even within Raleigh City limits, and have little to do with Raleigh except for their water/trash.

Take this house https://www.estately.com/listings/in...n-view-lane--4 , It's in the CIty of Raleigh, It's in Wake Forest Township, and its kids go to a high school named for the development its in run by the same district that runs schools from Apex to Zebulon.

Really, look at the entire western half of the county and the northern third. It's mostly the same.

Old 08-18-2021, 04:05 PM

222 posts, read 219,014 times
Quote:
Thank you, but isn't that Apex? And does it matter?

You live in a nice neighborhood, and it looks like good value; however, we don't want a clear cut, bare lot (been there, done that, too old and tired to do it again) and would really prefer pretty, mature landscaping in a more mature neighborhood. A new house in an old neighborhood that we do not need to build ourselves would be great, or a highly renovated older house.
My postal address is in Apex but I am Cary for all of my services (water, sewer, garbage). It really makes no difference.
Who says where I am is clear cut and a bare lot? If you are looking at Google, think again. My lot doesn't have mature trees, but I am surrounded by trees. I get to look at them and not rake the leaves.
FYI, you are not going to get what you are looking for with mature landscaping unless you buy a house and knock it down. And, you make no sense since you said you didn't want a lot of trees due to the care of the lot etc (which I totally understand).
Looking for a new house in an old neighborhood is very hard to find and if you do...you'll probably be surrounded by houses that are old and not in great shape.

Why do you want to come here? What are you actually seeking?

Old 08-18-2021, 04:29 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
FYI, you are not going to get what you are looking for with mature landscaping unless you buy a house and knock it down. And, you make no sense since you said you didn't want a lot of trees due to the care of the lot etc (which I totally understand).
Good point.

Quote:
Not interested in "acreage", meaning gigantic backyards, especially those that back up to woods. We've done yard work for decades, so don't want to devote all our time or to hire others to do it for us.
Have you lived in the Southeast before? Unless you live on a completely wooded lot you will have to do yard maintenance. The whole place here wants to revert to forest/jungle. Little baby trees will be sprouting all summer long in your grass or not-grass. They don't care. They just want to grow up into a forest again. This time of year NC is looking very jungle-y, especially after all this recent rain. Wooded lots require much less maintenance. No mowing.

Old 08-18-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Good point.

Have you lived in the Southeast before? Unless you live on a completely wooded lot you will have to do yard maintenance. The whole place here wants to revert to forest/jungle. Little baby trees will be sprouting all summer long in your grass or not-grass. They don't care. They just want to grow up into a forest again. This time of year NC is looking very jungle-y, especially after all this recent rain. Wooded lots require much less maintenance. No mowing.
So true. Very hard to keep up with the way stuff grows here. Very hard.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:30 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I don't know if folks have mentioned it here, but the town doesn't really matter much here. It's just the mailing address. School Districts are a county wide thing, hence property taxes are largely a county function. Library's are a county wide program too. A place within the city limits of one vs another may have slightly different tax rates but it shouldn't be enough to move your decision. And, one can easily live in a house that has a (Cary, Morrisville, Apex, Holly Springs) mailing address and have little functional relationship with that city, especially if they're in the County. One can live in Raleigh, even within Raleigh City limits, and have little to do with Raleigh except for their water/trash.

Take this house https://www.estately.com/listings/in...n-view-lane--4 , It's in the CIty of Raleigh, It's in Wake Forest Township, and its kids go to a high school named for the development its in run by the same district that runs schools from Apex to Zebulon.

Really, look at the entire western half of the county and the northern third. It's mostly the same.
Gorgeous house and lot, nice street, damn the stairs. It would be multiple millions here Thank you for a very informative post.

Of course, this makes things even more confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary