Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2021, 08:05 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Interesting...when you say '3000 sf ranch type' (to me) that's what pops to mind.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M65032-07609

3500 square feet of mature lot. Really this house (looks to be) a unicorn, given the relatively large lot, lack of HOA, etc. And one need never drive more than a mile or two given the proximity to WakeMed Cary, multiple Doctor's offices, compounding pharmacies, Whole Foods/WallyWorld/HarrisTeeter/MovieTheater, a couple good restaurants.

Utilities

• Sewer: Septic Tank, Well

Nope. NEXT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 08:13 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Utilities

• Sewer: Septic Tank, Well

Nope. NEXT!
You know the Containment Area better than I do, but I'd imagine that the septic there could be hooked into the city sewer and water. In fact, at the point that the septic needs replacing, I doubt they'd permit a new tank, and require hooking up to the sewer.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
You know the Containment Area better than I do, but I'd imagine that the septic there could be hooked into the city sewer and water. In fact, at the point that the septic needs replacing, I doubt they'd permit a new tank, and require hooking up to the sewer.

And, you might be right on those points.

TOC Utilities GIS certainly shows water and sewer lines in the street. I think even a fire plug on the south corner of the lot.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:52 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Interesting...when you say '3000 sf ranch type' (to me) that's what pops to mind.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M65032-07609

3500 square feet of mature lot. Really this house (looks to be) a unicorn, given the relatively large lot, lack of HOA, etc. And one need never drive more than a mile or two given the proximity to WakeMed Cary, multiple Doctor's offices, compounding pharmacies, Whole Foods/WallyWorld/HarrisTeeter/MovieTheater, a couple good restaurants.
That is a great find based on the OP's original criteria. I like the style, kind of an 80's take on Mid-Century Modern. But she is going to find fault with it because it has a septic tank and well. You would expect that given the size of the lot. The OP is either going to have to make compromises, or they will have to build a custom house.

I wish she would show us an example of what she finds acceptable in the Raleigh area.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:47 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I wish she would show us an example of what she finds acceptable in the Raleigh area.
I don't think that's possible - we don't have many unicorns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I've been meaning to ask you: Which do you prefer, Arizona or North Carolina? Why?

They both have hot weather, but one is humid while the other is bone dry. Could you describe how the weather affects you in these two locations? It seems as if Arizona heat would bother me more, much more, and that there is no Daylight Saving Time. It seems to be a place for early birds, and we're night owls.

I have spent a fair amount of time looking at Scottsdale and even better, Paradise Valley houses, and I like many of the styles very much in general, though I loathe saltillo or other types of tile floors.

I like greenery and water, though I do like some of the Arizona landscaping. It just depends.
If you do an advanced search using my member name and keywords, you'll find tons of information.
But to address your basic questions.

We strongly preferred phoenix weather with no humidity. We also liked that the weather is predictable. Daylight savings time is an issue that's so trivial, it never even occurred to me to think about. Saltillo tile exists in older, non-updated, historic houses or because others DO like it. Obviously, it can be replaced. Tile or natural stone is prevalent because it makes sense with the heat; wood will buckle, carpet is hot. In your price range, you'll see a lot of travertine.

IMHO, Paradise Valley and Scottsdale (aka Snotsdale) would fit your style, expectations, desires and attitude very well. Be prepared to increase your budget A LOT for PV proper (Note that homes with PV zip codes may actually be in Phoenix or Scottsdale.)

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-19-2021 at 11:59 AM..

Old 08-19-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Isn't 40 years about the end of life of the septic field? If I were a buyer of this house, I would certainly ask where the house the is using the original septic field, or if it has already used the reserve field.

I am glad to know from Mike J. that sewer and water are available. But, I also doubt whether the OP would like the style of this house. She praised one traditional house, and was disdainful of the last 80's brick ranch I suggested.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:56 PM

7,704 posts, read 5,446,630 times
I found this single story house plan online. It says it is a traditional southern house. I like it (and I like other styles, too).

I hope this helps.

https://www.houseplans.com/plan/3388...-3-garage-3783

I especially like that it has a true master suite with sitting area, not just a master bedroom. I don't love the small shower (we shower together, sorry if TMI), and would like other changes, but this is just to give an example of one style that I would be very happy to find.

Please don't look at each and every detail and think this is "it". I like the porch, but it's not required, for example.

Unicorns don't exist, and I am not looking for a unicorn.

Thank you to all who contribute. I appreciate the kind help.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 08-19-2021 at 10:05 PM..

Old 08-20-2021, 05:24 AM

Quote:
I found this single story house plan online. It says it is a traditional southern house. I like it (and I like other styles, too).

I hope this helps.

I especially like that it has a true master suite with sitting area, not just a master bedroom.......
It does help to give an idea of what you want. The 93.5 foot width would demand a large, wide lot. Community setbacks add 20-30 feet on each side, so an acre would be appropriate. It would also need a flat terrrain, not the rolling hills typical of the Triangle inside the beltline. I thought of Clayton, to the east where the land is flatter.

I went on the LandandFarm.com site looking for lots, and came across this house which is 3500 SF, mostly on one floor. It is on an acre lot in the Ole Mill Stream development, where houses are pretty well spaced out.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M54512-56575

Note that it may well have a septic tank with that much acreage. You would have to ask whether city hookups are available.

Old 08-20-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:

I hope this helps.

I especially like that it has a true master suite with sitting area, not just a master bedroom. I don't love the small shower (we shower together, sorry if TMI), and would like other changes, but this is just to give an example of one style that I would be very happy to find.

Please don't look at each and every detail and think this is "it". I like the porch, but it's not required, for example.

Unicorns don't exist, and I am not looking for a unicorn.

Thank you to all who contribute. I appreciate the kind help.

It's a pretty house.
At 93.5' wide, and with a side-entry 3 car garage, I expect minimum lot frontage in the 140'--150' range would be necessary. And, the house is a bit small for an upscale neighborhood on acre+ lots. Adding some upstairs and SF would help justify it.

I know we aren't focused on budget, but the numbers always are intriguing.
To build this house in a neighborhood that will support the cost and design:

With city services, that lot starts at about $750,000 and could easily be $1 million. Add on about $900,000 for construction with nice finishes, and figure $1.5 million minimum. $2.0 million might be more realistic.

Teardown of existing house? Add $50,000.

Basement option? Add $150,000.

Old 08-20-2021, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It does help to give an idea of what you want. The 93.5 foot width would demand a large, wide lot. Community setbacks add 20-30 feet on each side, so an acre would be appropriate. It would also need a flat terrrain, not the rolling hills typical of the Triangle inside the beltline. I thought of Clayton, to the east where the land is flatter.

I went on the LandandFarm.com site looking for lots, and came across this house which is 3500 SF, mostly on one floor. It is on an acre lot in the Ole Mill Stream development, where houses are pretty well spaced out.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M54512-56575

Note that it may well have a septic tank with that much acreage. You would have to ask whether city hookups are available.

I think it could be built on a sloped lot.
And, yes to a septic tank, but that is verboten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary