Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2021, 06:36 AM

19,465 posts, read 27,976,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

Unicorns don't exist, and I am not looking for a unicorn.
Yes, in this area, you are looking for a unicorn unless MAYBE you do new construction. We've spent 11 pages trying to tell you that but you aren't accepting it. Come visit and look for yourself. (My apologies to the realtor you use.)

I must admit that your preoccupation with the exterior look of the house bewilders me. In my home searches, the 'looks and curb appeal are pretty far down on the list of necessities. The functionality, beauty, appeal and 'feel' of the interior (and the backyard) is what matters to my us.

We spend our time and live our lives INSIDE our home. The 'look' of the exterior is mainly to impress other people - and to make us smile as we go up the driveway into our garage.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-20-2021 at 06:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 06:44 AM

43,458 posts, read 77,435,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yes, in this area, you are looking for a unicorn unless MAYBE you do new construction. I think we've spent 11 pages trying to tell you that but you aren't accepting that information.

I must admit that your preoccupation with the exterior look of the house bewilders me. In my home searches, the 'looks and curb appeal are pretty far down on the list of necessities. The functionality, beauty, appeal and 'feel' of the interior (and the backyard) is what matters to my family.

We spend our times and live our lives INSIDE our home. The 'look' of the exterior is mainly to impress other people and make us smile as we go up the driveway into our garage.

I could go with an MCM knockoff, and it could have 5V metal for siding and few windows to the curbside.
I want the "action" in back, for ME. Understated front? Yup.
Drive up and "Ho Hum;" walk in and "ooooooo" works for me.

5V and a few other peculiarities, and yet I wonder why Heartthrob won't let me have one built.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:08 AM

65 posts, read 55,894 times
Sedgefield in Greensboro sounds like what you're looking for. Lots of single story homes on large private lots.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:42 AM

805 posts, read 527,285 times
Quote:
Yes, in this area, you are looking for a unicorn unless MAYBE you do new construction. We've spent 11 pages trying to tell you that but you aren't accepting it. Come visit and look for yourself. (My apologies to the realtor you use.)

I must admit that your preoccupation with the exterior look of the house bewilders me. In my home searches, the 'looks and curb appeal are pretty far down on the list of necessities. The functionality, beauty, appeal and 'feel' of the interior (and the backyard) is what matters to my us.

We spend our time and live our lives INSIDE our home. The 'look' of the exterior is mainly to impress other people - and to make us smile as we go up the driveway into our garage.
They mentioned wanting a neighborhood of similar styles. There’s a lot to be said about living in a neighborhood of beautiful homes (from the front).

Old 08-20-2021, 09:01 AM

13,730 posts, read 12,527,528 times
Quote:

THe unicorn is "What neighborhoods have this house?" The house itself isn't a unicorn, just the expectation that there is a concentration of the properties. We are probably a solid 50-75 years behind the overall development curve of other metro areas. Instead of "you should look in the Five Points/Hayes Barton/Country Club Hills neighborhood of Raleigh" the answer is "This area isn't as established as the Bay Area or many other areas. While there are plenty of houses that would probably fit your criteria, we don't have a solid answer as to where you should look. Where should you look? You should look on redfin."

To illustrate, below are a handful of listings in nice areas with what the OP seems to desire that are in different areas of the county. Not a lot of availability in a single location.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M65429-30291

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Raleigh/10.../home/41209805

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Raleigh/50.../home/41110937 Not updated, but in a really desirable and established neighborhood

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Wake-Fores.../home/41344230

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M55832-44105 if one desires a more vibrant neighborhood closer to NCSU and Five Points

RE Curb appeal, whatever. I don't want an ugly house either. Other people see the clothes I wear more than I do and I still care about those.

Old 08-20-2021, 09:35 AM

222 posts, read 220,309 times
Have you looked at some lots in Chapel Ridge?

Old 08-20-2021, 01:27 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,241,169 times
Texas!

I'm about to move back home to the Carolinas back to Raleigh or perhaps Greenville/Spartanburg SC from Austin (I don't like it here getting expensive and trashy) and before that Dallas (great city) and was asking my realtor why on earth aren't nice single-story homes more plenty in the southeast in general. There is plenty of land and such. Also, by in large everything is brick out here in Texas all you see back east in maybe the front of the home with brick or stone but the sides and back vinyl siding. I've been spoiled. Upscale single-story homes are the norm here ranging from 1500 to 3,000 SF +

Old 08-20-2021, 02:55 PM

22,728 posts, read 36,946,661 times
Brickandiron and JONOV hit the nail on the head...."nestled in a community of similar homes" is the problem here. You can get any kind of house you want as Mike pointed out. If you want everyone to have the same dream, that may be a bit more problematic.

Old 08-20-2021, 03:20 PM

936 posts, read 777,338 times
Is this something you'd be interested in?

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M66291-96943

Its in Greensboro, in an upscale area called Irving Park, specifically a neighborhood in that area known as Browntown. Lots of similar houses in that neighborhood.

Old 08-20-2021, 04:12 PM

805 posts, read 527,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Is this something you'd be interested in?

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M66291-96943

Its in Greensboro, in an upscale area called Irving Park, specifically a neighborhood in that area known as Browntown. Lots of similar houses in that neighborhood.
Oh, my! I don’t know if it’s the op’s style, but I LOVE that house! The furniture must convey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary