Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2021, 08:35 PM

81 posts, read 53,743 times

Advertisements

River Hills neighborhood, Lake Wylie, SC. Just south of Charlotte. https://www.terravistarealty.com/pro...XMc51vhA35w38t

https://www.terravistarealty.com/pro...XMc51vhA35w38t
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 09:44 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,366,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
They mentioned wanting a neighborhood of similar styles. There’s a lot to be said about living in a neighborhood of beautiful homes (from the front).
I agree. But finding a neighborhood of homes like the OP is looking for doesn't exist in this area. She/he could do a teardown and build their dream home (though there are challenges for even that), but few if any of the other homes will look similar to theirs.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:11 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,478,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Is this something you'd be interested in?

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M66291-96943

Its in Greensboro, in an upscale area called Irving Park, specifically a neighborhood in that area known as Browntown. Lots of similar houses in that neighborhood.
Thank you, but no, I am not interested in that house, even though it is single story. From what research I have done over the years, I feel more simpatico with Raleigh/Cary, etc. and have no interest in living in Greensboro.

As to that mid-century modern house (only 8' ceilings, it looks like) in particular, it backs up to a main road. No matter where I choose to live, it won't be on a main road or backing up to one. I don't want a 1961-era house, either, even though I do love some very old/much older houses that have been totally renovated inside by master craftspeople, such as is done on "This Old House". I just don't want to be the one that is involved with having all the work done for a major build or renovation.

No interest in a house that is so undesirable to buyers that in this very hot market it has had its price cut and still no one is buying it.

While I am looking for a forever dream house that we never want to leave, it is important to have an exit strategy in place so that if and when the house needs to be sold, it will sell easily without extensive renovation by us.

Greensboro has a lot of crime, too. "The 2019 crime rate in Greensboro, NC is 416 (City-Data.com crime index), which is 1.5 times greater than the U.S. average."

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/crime/crim...-Carolina.html

In contrast, "The 2019 crime rate in Raleigh, NC is 165 (City-Data.com crime index), which is 1.6 times lower than the U.S. average.

And the crime rate in Cary is 4.4 times lower than the U.S. average.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 08-20-2021 at 10:19 PM..

Old 08-20-2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I agree. But finding a neighborhood of homes like the OP is looking for doesn't exist in this area. She/he could do a teardown and build their dream home (though there are challenges for even that), but few if any of the other homes will look similar to theirs.
We are not looking for a cookie cutter subdivision. We would just like the entire neighborhood to be similarly attractive, of similar build quality, a quiet neighborhood where neighbors take pride in keeping their houses and yards in good shape.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think it could be built on a sloped lot.
And, yes to a septic tank, but that is verboten.
Jawohl. Verboten.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:53 AM

22,693 posts, read 36,875,727 times
Let us know when you find it. I know a few people who’d be interested in that type of house.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:58 AM

1,204 posts, read 782,106 times
This whole thread reeks of privilege. Way to use coded language:” upscale, similar homes (don’t want those poor *uckers here), manicured yards. Greensboro is crime ridden…” you haven’t even been here! A spoiled boomer wants to be spoon fed the info and 10 pages long good suggestions and she thinks nobody understands the intricacies of her elevated taste and wants. Wake up, boomer. This whole area is becoming unaffordable for even middle class people, and your capricious notes are in bad taste.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:09 AM

43,375 posts, read 77,281,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
This whole thread reeks of privilege. Way to use coded language:” upscale, similar homes (don’t want those poor *uckers here), manicured yards. Greensboro is crime ridden…” you haven’t even been here! A spoiled boomer wants to be spoon fed the info and 10 pages long good suggestions and she thinks nobody understands the intricacies of her elevated taste and wants. Wake up, boomer. This whole area is becoming unaffordable for even middle class people, and your capricious notes are in bad taste.

"Boomer Lives Matter."

But, "boomer" tossed as an insult is such a convenient and popular way to express age-prejudice and inter-generational bigotry.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:13 AM

6,395 posts, read 5,520,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Boomer Lives Matter."

But, "boomer" tossed as an insult is such a convenient and popular way to express age-prejudice and inter-generational bigotry.
To be fair....Boomer is quite literally how OP has identified herself in her username.

Regardless I do believe that this thread/line of questions/suggestions is moot until OP visits the area and gets a realistic view of what the housing stock is like in various areas of the Triangle. Can't know it until you see it for yourself!

Old 08-21-2021, 07:23 AM

43,375 posts, read 77,281,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
To be fair....Boomer is quite literally how OP has identified herself in her username.

Regardless I do believe that this thread/line of questions/suggestions is moot until OP visits the area and gets a realistic view of what the housing stock is like in various areas of the Triangle. Can't know it until you see it for yourself!

Eh.
I'm a boomer, too. That is a demographic indicator of a generation.
To be fair, HatchChile wielded it in broad judgement and as an insult to shame the poster.
I don't use "millennials" or "GenX," etc, as insults, any more than I would use "black," "crippled," or sexual orientation terms.

FWIW.

AND, yes. The OP needs a 120 day lease in a central location in the Triangle to truly begin to assess locations and options. Good advice for any generation!
I am sure you have dealt with relocators who pull up a house online, and gleefully say, "I think this is The One!" And, when they see it, it never is. Boots on the ground are the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary