Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2021, 07:57 AM

599 posts, read 335,358 times

Advertisements

OP, you can find exactly what you're looking for in one of the many affluent old towns of the northeast. What you want is an area that's had wealth in it long enough that they were building nice houses in pretty neighborhoods with manicured lawns long before open concept houses became all the rage. You won't even have to live on a golf course.

I'm not going to list the towns for you, but you can find them if you care to.

Move up there, buy an SUV, and pay a company to handle snow removal. You can complain about the property taxes with all of your wealthy neighbors.

Edited to add: I say this as someone who grew up in Connecticut. One of the things I find endearing about living around here is that in most areas, nobody cares if your yard is not perfectly maintained. (Obviously not including HOAs.)

Last edited by robin3904; 08-21-2021 at 08:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 09:14 AM

25,115 posts, read 16,310,226 times
at Landfall (and hey, if Wilmington was eliminated long ago and I forgot, mea culpa) which does have pretty much exclusively "nice upscale homes", and as a retirement destination, lots of ranches/80% of space on the main level.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M58324-96215

does the front elevation appeal?
do the interior shots of the first floor appeal to you?
when you see the bird's eye neighborhood shot, how does that look?
thoughts on having a pool? How does the lot look?

It's got some significant 2nd floor space, but is probably close to 3K square feet on the main level. It also has a 2nd suite on 1st floor, an "office" that might be convertible to a "master sitting room". It also seems to have a formal living room that might be sucked into the master suite (all layout dependent)

Old 08-21-2021, 09:19 AM

19,469 posts, read 28,025,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
This whole thread reeks of privilege. Way to use coded language:” upscale, similar homes (don’t want those poor *uckers here), manicured yards. Greensboro is crime ridden…” you haven’t even been here! A spoiled boomer wants to be spoon fed the info and 10 pages long good suggestions and she thinks nobody understands the intricacies of her elevated taste and wants. Wake up, boomer. This whole area is becoming unaffordable for even middle class people, and your capricious notes are in bad taste.
Excluding the word "boomer," you've described exactly what I said pages ago: OP won't find what she wants here. She WILL find it quite easily in Paradise Valley or Scottsdale, AZ. (Assuming their budget allows 7+ figures.)

Old 08-21-2021, 09:34 AM

43,512 posts, read 77,526,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Excluding the word "boomer," you've described exactly what I said pages ago: OP won't find what she wants here. She WILL find it quite easily in Paradise Valley or Scottsdale, AZ. (Assuming their budget allows 7+ figures.)

We have water here.

And, our hockey team hasn't been evicted.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:55 PM

176 posts, read 243,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
at Landfall (and hey, if Wilmington was eliminated long ago and I forgot, mea culpa) which does have pretty much exclusively "nice upscale homes", and as a retirement destination, lots of ranches/80% of space on the main level.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M58324-96215

does the front elevation appeal?
do the interior shots of the first floor appeal to you?
when you see the bird's eye neighborhood shot, how does that look?
thoughts on having a pool? How does the lot look?

It's got some significant 2nd floor space, but is probably close to 3K square feet on the main level. It also has a 2nd suite on 1st floor, an "office" that might be convertible to a "master sitting room". It also seems to have a formal living room that might be sucked into the master suite (all layout dependent)

Yes, I suggested Landfall awhile back. Just an FYI- that home you linked is pending. Looks like they did some updating, but what bothers me about homes that vintage are the low ceilings. I am so used to 10 ft ceilings and the feeling of spaciousness they create. I don't know how the OP feels about it.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:16 PM

8 posts, read 5,202 times
Default Re upscale single story

Many towns with upscale single story and some "stylish" homes in the better neighborhoods in the northeast. Some of these towns also have great libraries.

Start by looking at which metro areas you're interested in an then finding the most upscale zip. The further away from the larger city is where the land will drop in price and a better chance of finding newer "stylist" single story homes in upscale neighborhoods, some of them currently being developed. Just be prepared for huge property taxes and lots of driving. Or, look at the resort areas nearish to the larger NE cities. Places were for decades people have had money to put into significant real estate holdings.

Also, look in the MLS and not simply "private communities" in terms of comparing amenities. Easier to use the MLS.

Old 08-21-2021, 11:47 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,510,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjewel View Post
Yes, I suggested Landfall awhile back. Just an FYI- that home you linked is pending. Looks like they did some updating, but what bothers me about homes that vintage are the low ceilings. I am so used to 10 ft ceilings and the feeling of spaciousness they create. I don't know how the OP feels about it.
As you point out, we also would prefer 10 ft. ceilings for the spaciousness (maybe 9 ft.), and for allowing hot air to rise. Here in the Bay Area/SF/Silicon Valley, we have 8 ft. ceilings, but it's fine as it fits the moderate weather and this little house. I have no desire for "soaring ceilings" of extreme height, although I have seen at least one floor plan for a North Carolina 1-story house that does have a very high ceiling. I'll link to it when I have time. It just depends.

Old 08-22-2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffent View Post
Many towns with upscale single story and some "stylish" homes in the better neighborhoods in the northeast. Some of these towns also have great libraries.

Start by looking at which metro areas you're interested in an then finding the most upscale zip. The further away from the larger city is where the land will drop in price and a better chance of finding newer "stylist" single story homes in upscale neighborhoods, some of them currently being developed. Just be prepared for huge property taxes and lots of driving. Or, look at the resort areas nearish to the larger NE cities. Places were for decades people have had money to put into significant real estate holdings.

Also, look in the MLS and not simply "private communities" in terms of comparing amenities. Easier to use the MLS.
Thank you, and I have done just as you have mentioned for many years, compiling multiple volumes (computer folders and binders) on various areas in numerous states. I am certain I would love certain cities and towns in the Northeast. I actually once found a charming house online in Sudbury, Massachusetts. After I did, I found it was near a nuclear reactor. And then also there were stairs and well, very cold weather, snow and icy roads.

The towns that I like in the Northeast have homes just about as expensive as here in California, and their taxes are even higher. I actually have significant property tax incentives to stay in California, and yet I am seriously looking at North Carolina.

We have some good friends in Maine that we haven't seen in far too long, true Mainers, with ice in their veins.
Maybe when we get really, really old we'll end up in a condo in the Northeast, when we no longer drive, but that's for another time. Heavy snow and driving regularly on icy roads is out of the question.

I would appreciate it if no one suggests cities outside North Carolina in this thread, and would really like to stick to the RTP area here.

Old 08-22-2021, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We have water here.

And, our hockey team hasn't been evicted.
Hey, here's a house for you to ponder:

https://www.businessinsider.com/sun-...me-2018-6?op=1

Old 08-22-2021, 05:48 AM

43,512 posts, read 77,526,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Hey, here's a house for you to ponder:

https://www.businessinsider.com/sun-...me-2018-6?op=1
Eh.
I don't see a walk-in pantry or pull out shelves in the kitchen

And the "The house has a traditional, slightly rustic vibe" made me grin

But, then you had me completely sold at "A contender for the best part of the house is the pizza room, which includes a pizza oven for making homemade pies."
Call me Shoeless Joe, asking, "Hey! Is this Heaven?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary