Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2021, 10:11 AM

598 posts, read 333,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Heavy snow and driving regularly on icy roads is out of the question.
I'd drive on icy roads up north over driving on icy roads in North Carolina any day. At least they use salt up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 10:52 AM

805 posts, read 525,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
I'd drive on icy roads up north over driving on icy roads in North Carolina any day. At least they use salt up there.
True, but I can mostly wait out the ice here and just stay home until it melts.

My elderly parents “up north” still drive on icy roads regularly in the winter. Waiting until it melts isn’t a good option.

I’ll take NC climate, roads, signage, and traffic every time.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:58 AM

805 posts, read 525,143 times
Quote:
Thank you, and I have done just as you have mentioned for many years, compiling multiple volumes (computer folders and binders) on various areas in numerous states. I am certain I would love certain cities and towns in the Northeast. I actually once found a charming house online in Sudbury, Massachusetts. After I did, I found it was near a nuclear reactor. And then also there were stairs and well, very cold weather, snow and icy roads.

The towns that I like in the Northeast have homes just about as expensive as here in California, and their taxes are even higher. I actually have significant property tax incentives to stay in California, and yet I am seriously looking at North Carolina.

We have some good friends in Maine that we haven't seen in far too long, true Mainers, with ice in their veins.
Maybe when we get really, really old we'll end up in a condo in the Northeast, when we no longer drive, but that's for another time. Heavy snow and driving regularly on icy roads is out of the question.

I would appreciate it if no one suggests cities outside North Carolina in this thread, and would really like to stick to the RTP area here.
If you’re concerned about proximity to a nuclear power plant, the Harris Nuclear Plant is relatively close to Apex and Holly Springs.

Old 08-22-2021, 02:07 PM

926 posts, read 753,865 times
Quote:
Thank you, but no, I am not interested in that house, even though it is single story. From what research I have done over the years, I feel more simpatico with Raleigh/Cary, etc. and have no interest in living in Greensboro.

As to that mid-century modern house (only 8' ceilings, it looks like) in particular, it backs up to a main road. No matter where I choose to live, it won't be on a main road or backing up to one. I don't want a 1961-era house, either, even though I do love some very old/much older houses that have been totally renovated inside by master craftspeople, such as is done on "This Old House". I just don't want to be the one that is involved with having all the work done for a major build or renovation.

No interest in a house that is so undesirable to buyers that in this very hot market it has had its price cut and still no one is buying it.

While I am looking for a forever dream house that we never want to leave, it is important to have an exit strategy in place so that if and when the house needs to be sold, it will sell easily without extensive renovation by us.

Greensboro has a lot of crime, too. "The 2019 crime rate in Greensboro, NC is 416 (City-Data.com crime index), which is 1.5 times greater than the U.S. average."

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/crime/crim...-Carolina.html

In contrast, "The 2019 crime rate in Raleigh, NC is 165 (City-Data.com crime index), which is 1.6 times lower than the U.S. average.

And the crime rate in Cary is 4.4 times lower than the U.S. average.

You're welcome! I'm happy to help out someone who is so open-minded and willing to consider all the possibilities.

Old 08-22-2021, 02:09 PM

43,316 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post

But, when I get out of the car here, I'm wearing boat shoes, no socks, shorts and a hoodie.
Up north, not so much.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:32 PM

18,115 posts, read 15,696,543 times
OP's got posters (including RE Agents) chasing down houses in search of this ever-evolving, likely nonexistent unicorn. Heh. Talk about being played.

Old 08-22-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
OP's got posters (including RE Agents) chasing down houses in search of this ever-evolving, likely nonexistent unicorn. Heh. Talk about being played.
Eh. The OP has a pretty good 10 year CD history and is active on the Real Estate forum. It isn't like she is a newbie, one-time wonder trolling for kicks.

Makes it easier to try to be helpful, even when others are critical.

Old 08-22-2021, 07:32 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,798,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Eh.
I don't see a walk-in pantry or pull out shelves in the kitchen

And the "The house has a traditional, slightly rustic vibe" made me grin

But, then you had me completely sold at "A contender for the best part of the house is the pizza room, which includes a pizza oven for making homemade pies."
Call me Shoeless Joe, asking, "Hey! Is this Heaven?"

I thought it would have been the ice rink that sold you!

Old 08-23-2021, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I thought it would have been the ice rink that sold you!
Hey! I could have the boys over for pizza and beer!

Old 08-23-2021, 06:38 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjewel View Post
Yes, I suggested Landfall awhile back. Just an FYI- that home you linked is pending. Looks like they did some updating, but what bothers me about homes that vintage are the low ceilings. I am so used to 10 ft ceilings and the feeling of spaciousness they create. I don't know how the OP feels about it.
You raise an important issue for the OP with ceiling height (if they were to buy existing), though that home looked like 9' ceilings to me. I knew it was pending because it really was unimportant to the question, which is not "would you buy THIS house?" (she's not in the market anyway) but "Do these features appeal or not?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary