Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2021, 06:33 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times

Advertisements

Louisburg, NC, 25 mile Northeast of Raleigh will have plenty of single level Ranch homes.

The town looks poor and destitute, but it’s the county seat for 70,000 rural folks, has plenty of old money families, and the 4-landing of US401 (just 6 miles left to be widened) ensures that…

Growth, people and more prosperity are just around the corner.

You could buy my Aunt and Uncles home across the steeet from where I grew up for under $300K. Probably 3,500 sf. Not counting tge mother-in-law apt.separated by a carport.

Late 60s build with 80’s addition, all attractive-color brick with corner Quoins, full basement, 1.5 acre lot.. It’s not for sale now but a good example of the many ranch-style homes in town.

It would be quite a culture shock, but some ex-Californians have adjusted. Lots of horses and farms but folks buy their home furnishings from Walmart, not Gumps of San Francisco though one neighbor in Louisburg did, lol.

ranch by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

Last edited by architect77; 08-23-2021 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 07:57 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Louisburg, NC, 25 mile Northeast of Raleigh will have plenty of single level Ranch homes.

The town looks poor and destitute, but it’s the county seat for 70,000 rural folks, has plenty of old money families, and the 4-landing of US401 (just 6 miles left to be widened) ensures that…

Growth, people and more prosperity are just around the corner.

You could buy my Aunt and Uncles home across the steeet from where I grew up for under $300K. Probably 3,500 sf. Not counting tge mother-in-law apt.separated by a carport.

Late 60s build with 80’s addition, all attractive-color brick with corner Quoins, full basement, 1.5 acre lot.. It’s not for sale now but a good example of the many ranch-style homes in town.

It would be quite a culture shock, but some ex-Californians have adjusted. Lots of horses and farms but folks buy their home furnishings from Walmart, not Gumps of San Francisco though one neighbor in Louisburg did, lol.

ranch by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr
This lady is NOT going to be happy in Louisburg. You've completely misread the vibe she's looking for.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:24 AM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
This lady is NOT going to be happy in Louisburg. You've completely misread the vibe she's looking for.
Thank you, you're right. Perhaps the poster was being sarcastic or attempting humor?

Old 08-26-2021, 06:49 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Thank you, you're right. Perhaps the poster was being sarcastic or attempting humor?
Or attempting to show you the lengths you'll have to go to get your "dream house" in this area of NC.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:53 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

Neither.
The poster is a native of Louisburg and the town is near and dear to him. He often promotes Louisburg here, regardless of whether it is suitable.
Harmless, really.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:47 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Excluding the word "boomer," you've described exactly what I said pages ago: OP won't find what she wants here. She WILL find it quite easily in Paradise Valley or Scottsdale, AZ. (Assuming their budget allows 7+ figures.)
I also think the OP needs to be open to other states. If the OP wants trees and greenery, she can also find that in Genoa Nevada, along with spacious lots and upscale homes. A cousin lives in Nevada because it gives him a tax advantage regarding his California teacher's pension. One example of a single-story home that already has an offer:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M12066-24828

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-27-2021 at 07:05 PM..

Old 08-28-2021, 09:12 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Neither.
The poster is a native of Louisburg and the town is near and dear to him. He often promotes Louisburg here, regardless of whether it is suitable.
Harmless, really.
Thank you, and to the rest of the negative, sarcastic posts, you don’t know jack about my beloved home state, and if your comment isn’t constructive don’t post it.

One day Franklin County will get sophisticated, and it’s better proximity to lots of stuff than Clayton or Hillsboro or Pittsboro will make you regret not considering it. Plus it’s a teeny bit colder with more snow because it’s right as the imaginary line of where it snows more regularly versus where it’s more of a rarity.

That line extends from about Oxford, NC East to below Henderson and on to Warren County.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:11 AM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Hi. I'd like to focus on just Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Cary and other close-in communities and not get led astray to outer areas that are of no interest to us.

I posted in the R.T.P metro forum because my sole interest in posting here is in this immediate area. We don't care if we have a brand spanking new home, especially one that is of the "open concept/great room" cookie cutter designs which are thankfully starting to disappear. We do want a single story house (essentially and entire house down with upstairs extra rooms ok) that is as close to turnkey as possible. My strong preference is not to tear down a perfectly good house to put up another in its stead. It seems wasteful to me; however, we will at least consider doing that in order to stay close in.

Although we plan to stay in our next home as long as possible, we know that we may have to sell it as we get older or if something happens to one of us. I know that the house we buy, whether in Raleigh or its surroundings, must be close to Research Triangle Park in order to ensure the house will keep its value or escalate in price, even if the rest of the market starts to fall. Most people who will come here to work, especially younger tech executives and medical professionals, expect to live as close as possible to their jobs and thus the most desirable inner zip codes to RTP are likely to preserve value best.

We have no interest in Nevada, north (Reno metro) or south (Henderson or Vegas). In fact, though I am very familiar with Lake Tahoe and Zephyr Cove, and Reno to some extent, we don't gamble or drink, we have never set foot in or near Las Vegas and don't care to do so. We are also not "escapees" from California who will be attending angry political rallies and ranting about the Golden State. Wherever we go, we will support the local art and music scene and wherever we end up, that's where we will leave whatever money we have left in the end. Plus, when the real estate market goes down, Nevada gets hit the hardest. I've seen it happen before.

In considering a retirement move, we still want to continue to be near (very near) major hospitals, medical offices, universities, libraries, shopping, museums, entertainment, and we would prefer to be able to drive to at least one international airport but not be within earshot of it. We have absolutely no desire to live in a rural area away from these amenities. We don't want loud road noise nearby, and we don't want to live under or very near electrical lines. (I can read maps, so I can usually spot the power lines, but if there's something being planned, we would love to know.)

I haven't spent much time on City-Data lately, including this thread, because we located my old "North Carolina box" of almost 20 years ago which has maps, books, original brochures for some well-known subdivisions, including all lot plans, etc and because I am frustrated at the suggestion of other states, rural areas, the coast, etc. The old box still has a lot of useful information in it. We're watching a lot of YouTube videos about the area also, and you can imagine which we have seen. They come out daily.

So we have already narrowed down the very few places we would consider living outside of California and in this thread, let's please only discuss the RTP/CH/Cary immediate. area.

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:15 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Maybe at this point you should just hire a Realtor. Your desires are very specific, and it seems like this forum isn't giving you what you need.

Old 08-29-2021, 01:53 PM

805 posts, read 523,514 times
Nice house. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...ource=txtshare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary