Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 07:47 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,980,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
https://www.homesbydickerson.com/com...roasdaile-farm

Check out the floorplans/amenities here. I have had two clients build in this neighborhood and been very happy.

Dickerson is local and custom. In their Croasdaile community; all of the homes are ranches or "primary space downstairs" with the targeted clientele/resident being what you are discussing here.

Briar Chapel will have many of the features you are looking for as well minus the lot size; it's also a fairly self-contained community so while it has quite a few amenities in the community itself; it's a hike to get to "city stuff"

I have not been to the other communities Dickerson is building in (minus 751 South; which I'm confident would not be your cup of tea based on what you've said here) but generally speaking the communities Dickerson builds in will be to your taste.

A custom-build new construction is almost definitely the only way you are going to get everything you want.

EDIT: HA! I actually typed this up before seeing Vicki's comment above!
That is some impressive spit polish on north Durham farm land LOL. I'm sure the houses are nice though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 04:49 AM

4,560 posts, read 3,763,284 times
Quote:
https://www.homesbydickerson.com/com...roasdaile-farm

Check out the floorplans/amenities here. I have had two clients build in this neighborhood and been very happy.

Dickerson is local and custom. In their Croasdaile community; all of the homes are ranches or "primary space downstairs" with the targeted clientele/resident being what you are discussing here.

Briar Chapel will have many of the features you are looking for as well minus the lot size; it's also a fairly self-contained community so while it has quite a few amenities in the community itself; it's a hike to get to "city stuff"

I have not been to the other communities Dickerson is building in (minus 751 South; which I'm confident would not be your cup of tea based on what you've said here) but generally speaking the communities Dickerson builds in will be to your taste.

A custom-build new construction is almost definitely the only way you are going to get everything you want.

EDIT: HA! I actually typed this up before seeing Vicki's comment above!

I'd like to just add something here - Dickerson is mentioned as high quality and custom. But I've been in a friend's Dickerson home off Creedmoor in north Raleigh, and the quality was lacking. Or perhaps they just didn't get many of the options?

The paint job was bad, there were drips everywhere and also the backsplash in the kitchen didn't even extend all the way up behind the exhaust fan! It was just paint above the fan. Again, this is a blended Indian/Greek family and there's gonna be a lot of frying and heavy cooking on that stove LOL

I've seen Ashton Woods homes better than this one.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:54 AM

18,123 posts, read 15,704,019 times
The best way to get a house exactly the way you want is to have an architect design it to your exact specifications. I have a friend who purchased a house. The house needed lots of stuff done to it, and when termite damage was found, my friend and her husband decided to just have the house taken down to the foundation and a new house was built. They worked with an architect because they wanted specific features, like 10 or 11 ft ceilings everywhere, certain kitchen features, and their own aesthetic.

The project turned out well. A single-story home, about 2,400 sq ft, on maybe 1 acre, and all the various design elements and things they prioritized.

Build your own unicorn.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:21 AM

6,382 posts, read 5,505,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
That is some impressive spit polish on north Durham farm land LOL. I'm sure the houses are nice though
Croasdaile area is definitely not what I'd call "spit shine". It's a very desirable area. Basically the "suburbs" of Old West Durham.

This would be like calling Fairfield or Woodcroft "spit shine" on South Durham using Rowden/Abercrombie as the basis for "South Durham"

Old 08-11-2021, 12:49 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,980,786 times
Quote:
Croasdaile area is definitely not what I'd call "spit shine". It's a very desirable area. Basically the "suburbs" of Old West Durham.

This would be like calling Fairfield or Woodcroft "spit shine" on South Durham using Rowden/Abercrombie as the basis for "South Durham"
Oh ok I believe ya it's not my job to know all the places i just see all the farm land going up to falls getting plowed under.

I dont know what old west Durham even means exactly

Old 08-11-2021, 02:55 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,232,569 times
there are not a significant # of ranches in Raleigh or any Triangle town I can think of that are 2,700 sqft+. Certainly not a lot of upper-end neighborhoods (for the wishlist of features) that are say 20%+ ranches that size, and then 2-stories.

Raleigh is certainly mostly a 8ft - 8.5ft ceiling for the neighborhoods like North Hills that DO have a lot of ranches, and they're mostly 1,200-2,300 sqft. But you do get a 1/3+ acre lot. So, you either rip the roof off, open the floor plan, expand to 3K sqft or you scrape it and start from scratch.

Yes, in "North Hills" you'll be "near" the 440 Beltline. But I'll be getting on it here shortly and we'll be going 55 mph - it's not what I imagine any CA traffic being. In this area, you're going to spend $400-600K these days for the "house", and then have to do the above. Same would hold true for 27612 (Brookhaven was mentioned) though then you introduce Crabtree Mall traffic.

I would say North Hills is plenty quiet. Brookhaven itself is too.

If you want ITB for the lot size, convenience, and quiet, then expect to start at $500K for ~1/3 acre.

Cost to build here right now is running ~$300/sqft or more, depending on material choice/supply. Would be significantly below San Fran.

And yes, I'd also agree that St James Plantation is remote vs Landfall in Wilmington is not.

Old 08-11-2021, 02:59 PM

lol at this lot in "Landfall"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/L...69184680_zpid/

Old 08-11-2021, 03:06 PM

I'd also second MacGregor Downs and North Ridge - 2 golf course communities developed in the late 60's - late 70's when ranches were more en vogue AND they have large lots (easily 1/3, up to 2/3). Last I checked, they (lots with old houses on them) were starting at $600K but perhaps you could stay off the course and save $100-150K.

Old 08-11-2021, 03:14 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,994,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Not a lot of mountains in Landfall. Somebody fat-fingered a zipcode entry.

Old 08-11-2021, 04:22 PM

22,676 posts, read 36,826,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Not a lot of mountains in Landfall. Somebody fat-fingered a zipcode entry.
Lolol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary