Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 07:09 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,466,659 times

Advertisements

Do you have any communities like that in your area? Online I'm seeing a lot of two-story houses, and pretty close together, at that.

If not, do you have upscale neighborhoods with many single story homes that do not have two-story houses overlooking the normal-sized (1/3 to 1 1/2 acre, approximately) backyards? I want to keep window coverings open as much as possible and not have to be concerned that others can see into the house or easily see into the backyard.

Not interested in "acreage", meaning gigantic backyards, especially those that back up to woods. We've done yard work for decades, so don't want to devote all our time or to hire others to do it for us.

We also like houses that are mostly downstairs, but with upstairs lofts and "extra" rooms, but with no need for us to go upstairs unless we feel like it. Visually, I like houses that are significantly wider than they are tall.

55+ would be OK, but not required. However, I hate the floor plans of every 55+ house I have seen so far online, no matter where it is located, but I haven't seen everything. I am not looking to downsize. I want a lot of specialty rooms. Want a relatively large and deep garage, nothing in the 20' deep category that I have seen with 55+ house plans. My current small house has a 23 feet deep garage, and nothing less than that feels right.

We have no children, no grandchildren and what family left is in California. We are not golfers. We want nice, friendly neighbors, if possible.

New or resale house OK, but we enjoy beautiful landscaping in a neighborhood where all houses are nicely landscaped and pride of ownership is obvious.

Must be extremely low crime area, just as we have now, with noted exception re fireworks, below.
Want good air quality, exceptionally good water quality and not a smoky neighborhood. Prefer enforced restrictions against all individual fireworks at home, if that's possible. (It was like a war zone here on 4th of July.)

I'm willing to compromise on some points, but would prefer a house as described, to the extent possible.

Don't worry about the budget, but I expect value for money.

Does this exist in your area?

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 08-09-2021 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: added note about not being golfers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 08:46 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,777,147 times
I’d check out inside-the-beltline Raleigh and the North Hills area. Lots of older homes (pre-1970s) with one or 1.5 stories. Pretty well-to-do areas, so upkeep generally very good. They’ll be mixed in with other size homes often. Many of those old neighborhoods weren’t cookie cutter to begin with, and there’s been additions and tear downs.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I’d check out inside-the-beltline Raleigh and the North Hills area. Lots of older homes (pre-1970s) with one or 1.5 stories. Pretty well-to-do areas, so upkeep generally very good. They’ll be mixed in with other size homes often. Many of those old neighborhoods weren’t cookie cutter to begin with, and there’s been additions and tear downs.
Thanks. I'm taking a look now. It appears that the area is very close to a highway/freeway. I don't want any road noise at all.

According to the census, the population per square mile is considerably denser than Cary.

Is the area 27606? I did just see a house in that zip that was wider than tall, even though it is 2-stories.

On second look, master bedroom, etc. are upstairs and kitchen is just OK.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 08-09-2021 at 09:34 PM..

Old 08-09-2021, 10:00 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,354,136 times
Do you know what part of the Triangle you want to be in? Are you looking for a new build or an older home? Price range?

I think if you have the budget (which it sounds like you would coming from SF) that you could find this unicorn home if you are both willing to be patient and also act fast. The market here is HOT. But single story houses like you describe, of that size, are rare. There are tons of 1950s/60s brick ranches, but the single story style faded here after that time period. Many of those are smaller homes and don't have the more modern open floor plans, but some have been updated and well maintained. Here are a few examples. I'm not a Raleighite, so not sure of the overall neighborhood vibe, but homes like these aren't super hard to find, but they will go fast because of our hot market.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M65297-76300
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M57990-65700
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M58085-05355

You may also find the even more rare mid-century mod home.

There is a fair amount of modernization of older homes or tear down and infill in my neck of the woods in Chapel Hill and Carrboro. Lots of modern stuff if that's what you are interested in.

Last edited by poppydog; 08-09-2021 at 10:43 PM..

Old 08-09-2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Do you know what part of the Triangle you want to be in? Are you looking for a new build or an older home? Price range?
I don't know enough about the area to answer "what part." I thought the best area in NC was supposed to be in Cary/West Cary or Chapel Hill or possibly the Coast, but I'm willing to look at other areas. We are retired and do not need to be in a particular area, except that I know we aren't interest in Asheville or other NC mountain areas.

In my first post I said that either new build or older home that is renovated is OK, but if the house is older, it needs to be significantly renovated, essentially turn-key. My husband wants a knock-your-socks-off kitchen, though he would not use those words. I want numerous "special rooms," including a multi-windowed room I can use as a painting/art studio and other rooms for whatever. Large, well-equipped laundry room, mudroom, keeping room, family room and living room, dining room, maybe a screened porch, etc. I don't like older homes that were originally a bunch of small rooms and the wall has been knocked out to make one large "open concept" area where the kitchen intrudes upon and dominates the living areas. That's not what I mean by renovated.

All important rooms need to be on one level, the lower level.

I answered the price range question to the extent that I am willing to answer it here. Location is flexible. House features are less flexible.

I'm looking for an exceptional dream home in a nice community, wherever that may be.

Old 08-09-2021, 11:38 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,549,426 times
You'll definitely see fewer ranch houses in the east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Not interested in "acreage", meaning gigantic backyards, especially those that back up to woods
Do keep in mind that NC's subtropical climate means that trees/shrubs grow quickly, and therefore (a) even a fairly small lot can be very private, and (b) even 1/3 of an acre is a fair amount to keep tamed.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
You'll definitely see fewer ranch houses in the east.
That's fine. I'm not looking for old-fashioned ranch houses like those pictured in a post, above, which are not at all the style I like. The ranch styles posted tend to have lower ceilings, for one thing, and not nearly enough architectural interest. Just because a house is one-story, or even better, primarily lower level with some bonus rooms above, does not mean old-fashioned or boring.

The house I want should look upscale/stylish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Do keep in mind that NC's subtropical climate means that trees/shrubs grow quickly, and therefore (a) even a fairly small lot can be very private, and (b) even 1/3 of an acre is a fair amount to keep tamed.
Thank you. That's good to know.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:58 AM

425 posts, read 463,467 times
With that list of requirements, I'd suggest you go the full custom house route. Hire an architect, design a house, and get it built by a true custom home builder. I would put odds of you finding something that checks all those boxes setting ready to go is slim. If money isn't a problem, a good architect will design your dream house.

Old 08-10-2021, 05:32 AM

176 posts, read 240,222 times
Since you mention the possibility of the coast and budget does not seem to be an issue I would check out Landfall in Wilmington. Beautiful gated community and I have seen several homes at different times pop up with your requirements. They usually sell within hours, way over asking price, too. And if you don't mind living a little further out check out St James in Southport. Neither community is a 55+, but you will find large beautiful homes in exceptionally well kept neighborhoods with all different size lots. Landfall is older so not as many newer homes with your requirements. St James has lots of homes with what you are asking for, but inventory is low now.

Last edited by pinkjewel; 08-10-2021 at 05:40 AM..

Old 08-10-2021, 05:39 AM

22,678 posts, read 36,831,891 times
You’re looking for a unicorn in this area. Ranch houses just aren’t that common and the ones I have seen are going to be older. Houses on larger properties are also going to be older. New construction here is generally on tiny lots. And yes 1/3 acre is likely going to be wooded and it’s a constant battle to keep to keep stuff trimmed back. Things grow like crazy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary