Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 08:43 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times

Advertisements

Fwiw, snowflakes were originally pro-slavery anti-abolitionists. Look it up.

LLO, I think Florida sounds more your speed really. It’s got more of a mixed anything goes vibe. Is there something holding you back from going back there? You said you loved it there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 09:25 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

LLO, I think Florida sounds more your speed really. It’s got more of a mixed anything goes vibe. Is there something holding you back from going back there? You said you loved it there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post

I once lived in FL, believe me I would go back in an instant, its just going to be harder this time because its a longer drive and all my stuff is going to be out in the open in the back of my truck. But ya no question I'd love that.
Wow.

Old 08-16-2021, 05:43 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,259,370 times
A tarp and bungee cords to cover the load in the truck will cost under $25. Don't let the open truck bed dictate where you move.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:41 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,544 times
Asheville NC, Austin TX, Madison WI, Boulder CO. all seem to fit the bill better than Raleigh.

BTW: wear a mask and get vaccinated. we all thank you in advance.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:22 PM

5,153 posts, read 3,765,357 times
Not all.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:57 PM

346 posts, read 309,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I guess you can be trans and still be conservative about some things. Have you looked into California?

So Cali you're implying is the place for a conservative trans person? Sacramento maybe. O C?

I know of a few, someone on Youtube and Caitlyn Jenner.

I consider myself a moderate, both sides have their nuts but the lesser evil is the republicans, a smaller amount of left of centers are ok. Like take Huey Lewis for example. someone else I knew. The fair minded Irish pretty much that still exist in 2021 who still lean a bit left of center. I'd say they're the minority though. If you look, theres still somewhat an amount of irish people who lean left almost like it was back in the potato famine. Throughout TX, FL, Mass, Illinois, NY, Cali probably too.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
No, you're not.

Ok why am I not??

Old 08-16-2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Exactly. Snowflakes are on both sides. Those who complain and don't want LGBT+ people in their backyard/neighborhood are simply, Snowflakes. They can whine and moan and scream and shout all they want.

If you are offended by someone simply living next to you or someone who isn't like you enters you community, you are a snowflake.

Yea and in my experiences some of those people have been democrats too.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
A tarp and bungee cords to cover the load in the truck will cost under $25. Don't let the open truck bed dictate where you move.

I want to be a bit closer to New England as well, FL is best if you know more people. The people I know down there, I am not so positive I'd see them as much as Id' want to and then I'd just drive a longer distance downward, being less close to home and still feeling like I can't see no one or having a chance at a love life as FL is so transient. I struck out of there for a reason, as much as i might love it.

The Carolinas and GA at least have more benefits to me as I approach my 40s.

Myrtle Beach seems to have a party hard sex crazed crowd. A landlord I talked to wanted to show sexual pics to me out of the gate but his ad didn't suggest that would be the living arrangement so the coast areas sometimes attract those people. Charleston is out I'd say.

I still got time. I'll probably go to a motel in Columbia if no other nearby city has anything at the time. Its easier. I kinda got attached to this place too in a weird sort of way. The whole 35-40 years behind the times thing about it. The kind of places I used to go into as a little kid are all here. A dated atmosphere. I went back to a mall that was up the street from the hotel I stayed at earlier today and I got a flashback of the memories when I first came to the area, in a mostly black part of town too.

So as its coming that time, I am also having deep thoughts that possibly I am not leaving so soon, and thats with bigger areas like Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh in the equation too. I might have to include Atlanta into it as its just 3 hours. I'm going to look around Atlanta because I know theres nicer places in some of the burbs, but with old dated ghetto down the street kinda places so you can "slum it" if you want. Charlotte seems to be attracting the tract housing condo kind of crowd. Mostly suburbs for a big city, like a big traffic jam besides a few inner city parts that might be older with ethnic food kinda places. I'll drive to a cigar bar in a nicer part of town even.

Talk to me in private if you want, I got 14 days to see where my strongest prospects are and thats where I am going to go. If I have very few, I'll just stay close to here. I know the motel I want to go to at least if I do. I might stay a month then go somewhere else. I am a free agent but I got reminded when I moved into someones home, at least for Columbia why I stayed in motels to begin with. Unless I get lucky.

But yea Tampa FL would for sure be on the list no doubt. I just don't know if I am going to FL this time and I moved in and out 3 times.. I struck out like in Baseball. I don't believe I am going back.

But ya from all the research I did, my favorite kinds of cities are Tampa, Columbia for some of the datedness, and Atlanta in parts as I see ATL even having more of those than Charlotte plus the "new Hollywood" factor doesn't make that bad also. I can get Atlanta suburbs that remind me of here, but while having the benefits of a big city close.

If I couldn't get on a plane say because of Covid and I had to drive from out west, I would have picked Omaha. So I do like dated kind of cities to a point with a more "rust" feel to them. Where I grew up in Mass kind of resembled it.. in the Lowell area. Rougher, old mill buildings. stuff like that so I came to Columbia and places like that even in the south and felt a connection and was looking at some of those midwestern areas as well, even if I had to eat some cold weather.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Asheville NC, Austin TX, Madison WI, Boulder CO. all seem to fit the bill better than Raleigh.

BTW: wear a mask and get vaccinated. we all thank you in advance.

I would do Omaha or Lincoln TBH before I do Colorado cities. Manchester NH has a good vibe too. A "less liberal" but purple kind of vibe. Still has some of those people though who will judge you if you sound like a muslim over the phone to them though like looking for places to live. Ya in NH. I haven't found that in SC. But ya I literally had someone who told me "you sound like a muslim on the phone" and the convo ended with me calling him a racist and I hung up. Despite stuff like that, kinda like Despite some who don't notice the trans issues, it manages to be a decent enough place if you eat a little bigotry and just challenge it as you see it. I don't think moving to "Far left granola" cities solves the problem for me though.

Those options are mostly liberal cities with heavy mask mandates. Expensive. You shoulda just put Portland on the list too or Burlington VT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary