Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 03:31 PM

324 posts, read 1,285,761 times

Advertisements

I love going to Lowes and buying my own. They have a local NC bbq section. Years ago they used to have a BBQ competition and you paid a few dollars for entrance and went from booth to booth sampling all the local bbq's presented with all kinds of sides. You left very full! Every bottle bought counted as a point for that bbq and it was always interesting to hear the winners. Thats where I determined my favorite eastern bbq was Zing and for tomato bbq I like Bone Suckin' Sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 05:06 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
I saw a previous post recommending The Pit BBQ in downtown Raleigh and I have to say nay to that one. I tried it based on recommendations from a separate thread about the place. Having lived in Raleigh all my life and being a BBQ connoisseur I must be honest and say that place is nothing more than a lunchtime hangout for the yuppies who do not know what good BBQ is. The BBQ is okay but it's far from being considered "Good BBQ".

Old 05-15-2008, 06:01 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,376 times
"It is so much better then the regular kind in my opinion. "

But it IS the regular kind, lol!!! I grew up in VA going to Bill's BBQ, which is NC (Eastern?) style. My husband is from St Louis, so he grew up on what I call the "ketchup stuff." We are a house divided indeed!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:28 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,085 times
Had to chime in on a little "hole in the wall" place we tried out last night. Backyard Barbeque Pit, off 55 in Durham. Family run, basic decor, but the food? OHHHHHHHHHHH so good! Best ribs I've ever had. I always admire someone who can take something that is relatively simple and perfect it and make it even better. This place does that with it's old fashioned style Barbeque. Nothing fancy as for atmosphere, but if you want food that warms your stomach, melts in your mouth and has perfect flavors, this place is it! For those who have read my prior food review posts, you know I'm very critical. I don't easily give a good review. This place deserves it.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:46 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
If you love real Eastern style or vinegar based barbecue you really should a make a trip to Ayden NC to eat at The Skylight Inn(Pete Jones) My mouth is watering just thinking about it

Skylight Inn at HollyEats.com

Old 09-24-2008, 08:12 PM

189 posts, read 753,867 times
I second the Backyard BBQ Pit! (Backyard Barbeque Pit - Durham, NC, 27713 - Citysearch) We've been singing its praises at every opportunity since we discovered it this spring. The food has a down home flair to it. The place is nothing fancy, but it's very clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Had to chime in on a little "hole in the wall" place we tried out last night. Backyard Barbeque Pit, off 55 in Durham. Family run, basic decor, but the food? OHHHHHHHHHHH so good! Best ribs I've ever had. I always admire someone who can take something that is relatively simple and perfect it and make it even better. This place does that with it's old fashioned style Barbeque. Nothing fancy as for atmosphere, but if you want food that warms your stomach, melts in your mouth and has perfect flavors, this place is it! For those who have read my prior food review posts, you know I'm very critical. I don't easily give a good review. This place deserves it.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
The NC Barbecue Society Historic Trail

Old 09-25-2008, 02:42 PM

55 posts, read 146,120 times
Ole Time, Allen and Sons, and Cooper's. In that order.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:33 PM

189 posts, read 753,867 times
If you want to try making it at home, here's a great recipe! North Carolina-Style Pulled Pork - Allrecipes

Old 09-25-2008, 04:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
call these places or look in the back of the outside of the restaurant and see if they have a chimney from there cooker if it not cook overy hickory then you are not getting "true" north carolina barbecue or it flavor .
Gas or electric is a no no for true North Carolina barbecue

Also eastern uses the whole hog to get the pork where Western , Lexington style uses only the shoulder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary