Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 06:06 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The state wastes money and lies to people en masse quite effectively too.
I guess I lumped that under the "stealing" category, as it's ultimately tax dollars that subsidize the waste and the lies (somebody's getting paid to waste and lie).

Part of me remains optimistic that it doesn't have to be this way and that talented people can enter government and do something that's useful, economically effective and good for the people, hence my earlier comment about hope for the Triangle area with it's highly educated population.

But if it's stupid ideas regulating who gets gasoline and how much people pay for it, then you'll see nothing but lines and prices not much different - and probably a few public servants wealthier than they would otherwise be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 06:25 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
What amazed me about the article, more than the "pain at the pump" hype, was the assertation that the traffic/traffic delay in Raleigh was comparable to that of Philadelphia, a city way larger in size.
It's pretty safe to say that if the Triangle had the Philly metro's population that the whole place would be rather hard to get around. But take that article - like any other - with at least a grain of salt. It makes a few dubious claims, such as the entry for Houston (at No. 9). It claims there are few/no zoning regulations metro-wide, which is false. Almost all of the burbs have rather strict zoning, and in the city proper there are many deed-restricted areas that serve the same function as zoning.

I say this all the time - these people producing these lists haven't been to most of these cities, and are based entirely on vague statistical abstracts. But for what it's worth, this one put Raleigh squarely between LA and Houston. That indeed can't be a good sign for the future unless some solutions get arrived upon, posthaste.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:31 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
[Raleigh] is newer (like LA) so it's auto-reliant
Raleigh was established in the 1700s...how is this "newer"? I realize that transplants like to think this city didn't exist until it materialized out of ether the week before they arrived, but Raleigh has over two centuries of history.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:35 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Raleigh was established in the 1700s...how is this "newer"? I realize that transplants like to think this city didn't exist until it materialized out of ether the week before they arrived, but Raleigh has over two centuries of history.
LA has also been around for a long time too. It was founded in 1781. It didn't experience exploding population growth until the 20th century. Perhaps I didn't clarify my point. Growth around Raleigh has exploded recently, unlike older cities in the Northeast that grew before the automobile.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:38 PM

61 posts, read 165,753 times
Where is MikeJ when you need him?

he loves it when raleigh makes a top ten anything!!!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:39 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqtonik View Post
Where is MikeJ when you need him?

he loves it when raleigh makes a top ten anything!!!

He was busy with his camera at the meetup tonight. I'm waiting to see pictures.....

Old 05-18-2008, 07:47 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Basically the area around downtown and the immediate surrounding area was all there was to Raleigh back then. The city didn't even have a six-figure population total until the 1970s.

Los Angeles was the site of a Spanish mission established in the 1700s as well, but did not become a major US city until the 20th century. "New" in this sense means the city is "new" at being a major city/metro as opposed to being "new" as in not having existed at all until recently.

Last edited by jfre81; 05-18-2008 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: to fix spacing

Old 05-18-2008, 07:58 PM

18 posts, read 43,564 times
This is why I've switched to commuting via scooter. I'm saving $160-180/mo. Getting 100-110MPG is very nice. Not to mention get a nice 13mi ride on the scoot to and fro work. Rollin' on two is the way to go... And it only takes me 5 minutes longer each way...

Have fun sitting in traffic in your 15MPG suburbans...just don't hit me!

Old 05-19-2008, 06:28 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
^You'll go back to a car after you lay that thing down or get hit. It's not a matter of if you lay it down, it's when.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:02 AM

941 posts, read 2,303,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog007 View Post
This is why I've switched to commuting via scooter. I'm saving $160-180/mo. Getting 100-110MPG is very nice. Not to mention get a nice 13mi ride on the scoot to and fro work. Rollin' on two is the way to go... And it only takes me 5 minutes longer each way...

Have fun sitting in traffic in your 15MPG suburbans...just don't hit me!
We're you the guy i was following on Falls of the Neuse Rd the other day? This guy was swerving all over the road,and shutting off in the middle of traffic, i almost laid him down for real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary