Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2021, 09:19 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,880,463 times

Advertisements

https://www.wral.com/gun-sniffing-do...9/?version=amp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 10:29 AM

873 posts, read 1,019,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I spent time providing facts and statistics regarding mall shootings in other parts of the country. In other threads I have provided statistics comparing crime in the Triangle to larger metros in the US.

Not once have I made this about Durham specifically - I’d have to look back but I’m not sure anyone else has either. Pretty sure the discussion actually turned to crime in the south versus other parts of the country. Glad you like Durham, but you’re being irrationally defensive and unrealistic. If you’re so bothered by the thread, join the discussion and prove everyone wrong with the same facts that you claim nobody is bringing.
No, sorry, you don't get to turn the conversation that way by failing to provide any facts yourself as I originally requested. PureBoston did it in his and I'll respond there.

And if telling people that putting metal detectors around the Streets of Southpoint is being "irrationally defensive," I'll gladly that designation against the paranoia and ignorance you seem to celebrate.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:34 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,286,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
No, sorry, you don't get to turn the conversation that way by failing to provide any facts yourself as I originally requested. PureBoston did it in his and I'll respond there.

And if telling people that putting metal detectors around the Streets of Southpoint is being "irrationally defensive," I'll gladly that designation against the paranoia and ignorance you seem to celebrate.
Lol. I did post statistics, I'm not posting them again for everyone to have to read twice just because you're too lazy to read the whole thread.

I don't understand why you keep trying to turn the thread Durham-specific when it wasn't until you hopped in. That's the sign of someone defensive.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:36 AM

873 posts, read 1,019,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
B

Let's talk about your "community", shall we? For 2020, the last full year reporting, Durham recorded 966 shooting incidents with 318 people shot and 33 of those fatally. So far in 2021, the city has already recorded 44 homicides. What's far more evidenced in this discussion than the irrational paranoia of others, is your own irrational defensiveness. In case you're wondering? I'm a Bostonian, but I also own property and pay taxes in the Tarheel State.
I appreciate your statistics provided here, PureBoston. You make a good point. However, the crime scene isn't like some on here portray it as if it's the wild Wild West anytime you go out to eat or shop. Most of these incidents are happening in neighborhoods, not in the open.

Also, I don't appreciate the sarcasm. Take any your air quotes, Durham is a community and a thriving one and a key one of North Carolina. I'm not irrationally defending it. It's a popular, growing city as shown by the influx of newcomers and the corresponding albeit astronomical rise in residential property prices and it's solidly the fourth biggest city in the state. There's no irrational defensiveness here--Durham already has proven itself despite these incidents that others keep harping on endlessly within this thread.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:52 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,359,254 times
Quote:
It's a popular, growing city as shown by the influx of newcomers and the corresponding albeit astronomical rise in residential property prices and it's solidly the fourth biggest city in the state. There's no irrational defensiveness here--Durham already has proven itself despite these incidents that others keep harping on endlessly within this thread.
Think hard about the portion of your quote above that I highlighted. Is it safe to say that rapidly rising real estate costs has increased the stress levels of certain citizens (those who struggle to afford market prices)? This is a national trend with similar violent consequences. Isn't it ironic that some people are extremely violent at malls (the very same place where they are spending money that they don't have)? I am convinced that there is a deeper economic issue that is being ignored....

Old 12-21-2021, 11:29 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,362,459 times
Quote:
Have you been to Streets at Southpoint?! It seems like you haven't. Otherwise, you'd realize that it's an open air shopping center with no fences around its perimeter like sporting venues. And it doesn't have to be and it's not going to be. Like I said, if you're irrationally scared of going to it, don't go to it.
Yes, I've been to Streets at Southpoint, many, many times. There are, of course, ways to control crowd access, even to the open-air portion of the mall. Folks may not like the aesthetics of the options, but they do exist.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:40 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,888,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
OK - a bit hyperbolic.
Well not if you're the one that's caught up in the crossfire.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:47 PM

185 posts, read 127,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
B

Let's talk about your "community", shall we? For 2020, the last full year reporting, Durham recorded 966 shooting incidents with 318 people shot and 33 of those fatally. So far in 2021, the city has already recorded 44 homicides. What's far more evidenced in this discussion than the irrational paranoia of others, is your own irrational defensiveness. In case you're wondering? I'm a Bostonian, but I also own property and pay taxes in the Tarheel State.
So, I live in Durham and based upon your statistics for 2020 with Durham being a city of 283,000 people:

0.11% of people in Durham were a victim of a shooting and 0.011% of people died due to a shooting.

Based on these statistics, I think I can live in Durham without constant fear of being a victim of a shooting.

fyi...And this isn't a unique problem to Durham and SouthPoint mall:

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...k-at-security/

https://abc7news.com/news/raleigh-ma...oting/1468768/

Old 12-21-2021, 12:48 PM

5,173 posts, read 3,775,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Think hard about the portion of your quote above that I highlighted. Is it safe to say that rapidly rising real estate costs has increased the stress levels of certain citizens (those who struggle to afford market prices)? This is a national trend with similar violent consequences. Isn't it ironic that some people are extremely violent at malls (the very same place where they are spending money that they don't have)? I am convinced that there is a deeper economic issue that is being ignored....

I grew up in a lower middle class town in NJ. Lots of apartment dwellers could not afford a house. No rioting or shooting though. Being poor does not excuse sub human behavior.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:51 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,613,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Well not if you're the one that's caught up in the crossfire.
Right, because getting caught in the crossfire of a gun fight is a reasonable expectation all the time.

The amount of fear that people who feel as you do (about this and public health matters involving established science) must be very stressful to live with every day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary