Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 08:31 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,405,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
Less hateful? Define hate, please. They’ve been pretty publicly hateful down those parts. I remember seeing signs like these as a kid on our way to the beach. https://davidcecelski.com/2017/09/14...to-smithfield/
How about for one getting our heads out the 1970s? Less hateful as in not coating an entire region as a place for only bigots and racists. Racism comes in many forms, perhaps you should check yourself. Who knows, you might engage in some racist behavior without realizing it. Ill give you this, there are still some people like that in Johnston county and elsewhere. Ive met those types, surprisingly some of them were transplants from up north too. The characterization of Smithfield as a bigoted place though? Off base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 10:48 AM

426 posts, read 223,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
How about for one getting our heads out the 1970s? Less hateful as in not coating an entire region as a place for only bigots and racists. Racism comes in many forms, perhaps you should check yourself. Who knows, you might engage in some racist behavior without realizing it. Ill give you this, there are still some people like that in Johnston county and elsewhere. Ive met those types, surprisingly some of them were transplants from up north too. The characterization of Smithfield as a bigoted place though? Off base.
So is showing examples of racism from the 70s included in the “CRT” broad brush we aren’t supposed to talk about anymore? Too much of that crap has roared back into public view in recent years. That tells me they didn’t go away, they just went stealth until they felt safe to remove the hoods again. And, yes, the south (and Smithfield) certainly doesn’t have the franchise on racism. It just left a strong impression on me as a kid seeing those signs. If the region doesn’t want to be painted with such a brush, they need to do a better job making it clear that such views will not be tolerated.

Old 12-19-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
So is showing examples of racism from the 70s included in the “CRT” broad brush we aren’t supposed to talk about anymore? Too much of that crap has roared back into public view in recent years. That tells me they didn’t go away, they just went stealth until they felt safe to remove the hoods again. And, yes, the south (and Smithfield) certainly doesn’t have the franchise on racism. It just left a strong impression on me as a kid seeing those signs. If the region doesn’t want to be painted with such a brush, they need to do a better job making it clear that such views will not be tolerated.
What exactly is it they are doing now to make it seem like they are still stuck in the 70s exactly ? What is it they are supposed to do to show they don’t ? Seems like a typical impoverished town to me .

Old 12-21-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
What exactly is it they are doing now to make it seem like they are still stuck in the 70s exactly ? What is it they are supposed to do to show they don’t ? Seems like a typical impoverished town to me .
Plenty of confederate flags flying proud, but the same can be said for many rural parts of the state. As I said, some of my feeling may be residual impact from seeing those signs as a kid, and hearing about Glenn Miller and his founding of the Carolina Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, which later became the White Patriot Party there. Also, stuff like this doesn’t help improve their image: https://www.cc.com/video/dxm2d3/the-...nti-mask-rally (the crt discussion is about 2/3rds in).

Old 12-21-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Plenty of confederate flags flying proud, but the same can be said for many rural parts of the state. As I said, some of my feeling may be residual impact from seeing those signs as a kid, and hearing about Glenn Miller and his founding of the Carolina Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, which later became the White Patriot Party there. Also, stuff like this doesn’t help improve their image: https://www.cc.com/video/dxm2d3/the-...nti-mask-rally (the crt discussion is about 2/3rds in).

So people having a differing political stance is the issue? I fail to see the racism in that, I also don't think you have been fair to those critical of CRT. It has nothing to do with hating people of other races, and more to do with what they see as an affront to America and attack on its ideals, and an attempt to indoctrinate their kids into left wing democratic agenda ideals. I'm not defending or attacking CRT, more so saying that the detractors of it aren't anti black and attempting to explain what they feel. Call it what it is, this is a political issue to you. Conservatism is the issue. Johnston county is not an overly white liberal area like Chapel Hill therefore it is conservative and immediately racist. I can understand your residual feelings though, that's warranted.

Old 12-21-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
So people having a differing political stance is the issue? I fail to see the racism in that, I also don't think you have been fair to those critical of CRT. It has nothing to do with hating people of other races, and more to do with what they see as an affront to America and attack on its ideals, and an attempt to indoctrinate their kids into left wing democratic agenda ideals. I'm not defending or attacking CRT, more so saying that the detractors of it aren't anti black and attempting to explain what they feel. Call it what it is, this is a political issue to you. Conservatism is the issue. Johnston county is not an overly white liberal area like Chapel Hill therefore it is conservative and immediately racist. I can understand your residual feelings though, that's warranted.
So attacking racism means I have an issue with conservatism? Teaching kids that racism is bad is now viewed as “indoctrinating their kids into left wing democratic ideals?”

The CRT FUD itself is a political issue. The political strategists who came up with the idea of portraying CRT as the next boogyman are certainly doing it to whip people into a frenzy. Indeed, they have painted such a broad stroke that it seems anything and everything related to race as it concerns education is considered CRT now. Culturally relevant, culturally sensitive and anti-racism education are viewed as CRT and under attack. All this manipulated hate is being injected into our society and it is emboldening racists. All to prop up a political party.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:07 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,241,183 times
I'll make this short and sweet, If I were to move to JoCo, Clayton is probably the only place I'd be interested. It's the lone town in the county IMO that gives me a sense that it's part of a more populated area. It also doesn't have as much of a hog/chicken farm smell as the further East one travels, and while I wouldn't call it hilly, it is less flat than most of the rest of the county.

YMMV.

Old 12-22-2021, 02:54 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Quote:
Less hateful? Define hate, please. They’ve been pretty publicly hateful down those parts. I remember seeing signs like these as a kid on our way to the beach. https://davidcecelski.com/2017/09/14...to-smithfield/
And how long has it been since you were a kid? Those signs have been gone a LONG time.

Old 12-22-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
And how long has it been since you were a kid? Those signs have been gone a LONG time.
Get off my lawn! Grew up in the 70s/80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary