Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 11:32 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Five years ago today a 5 year old boy was killed in an accident with a negligent custom home builder contractor. To me, custom means the builder has one crew that they use, know and can deal with without negative fallout for pointing out errors in workmanship. It is NOT picking up guys at the local Home Depot on the way to the job site each morning. I think a lot of people think "custom builder" means something around here that it really doesn't. My BIL built custom homes in NY. He had one plumber, one tile guy, one electrician and so on and so forth. And when something didn't get done to his liking, it was not accepted by him as the GC on the project. THAT is a custom builder.

I would also see this when I handled insurance claims. I handled an accident once where a cement company knowingly let an unlicensed - NO KIND OF LICENSE, let along a CDL (the driver never had a license, not even in his home country - had never driven before) - person drive the cement truck one morning because "no one else could do it". He overturned the truck on an entrance ramp. Luckily no one was hurt. These companies are more than willing to take a gamble every day for the almighty dollar.
Honestly, the builder in question did have “regulars.”

This area is expanding rapidly. You may have a regular sub who has people on their crew who are NOT regulars occasionally.

Old 12-31-2021, 05:42 PM

307 posts, read 296,448 times
An inspector told me that back in the early 2000's, there was a custom home builder around here that was neglecting to attach the structure to the foundation. The houses in some cases are starting to slide off.

I wish they had pre-builts like Nanticoke around here. They're not all built like trailers and many of them are better than most of the high-volume builders and just as customizable. Being built in a hangar out of the weather with a static crew and uniform standards is a good thing. When I lived in Youngsville, my neighbor told me when my house was first being built by the original owners, they reported to the owners that the builders were trying to close up bags of half eaten fast food in the walls. Imagine trying to figure out where "that smell" was coming from! LOL

They're building one of those neighborhoods with the "long and tall" homes that have the garage in the back right next to my hood and they're so close to one another, the shadow of one building will cause mold on the other. Its basically a detached townhouse and will probably burn down a whole block when one goes up in flames. I guess they squeeze 6 houses to an acre like that. I bet its to maximize the tax capture when they value at 500k+ each.

Where I live next, the neighbors are not going to have to pretend they cant see one another every time they walk out on the deck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 09:36 AM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udelslayer View Post
They're building one of those neighborhoods with the "long and tall" homes that have the garage in the back right next to my hood and they're so close to one another, the shadow of one building will cause mold on the other.
Mold is not caused by the shadow of buildings.

Old 01-01-2022, 11:59 AM

307 posts, read 296,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Mold is not caused by the shadow of buildings.
Ok then. I meant barnacles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary