Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,591 times

Advertisements

Who do you think are the Best and Worst Home Builders in & around Raleigh ?

Best
Better
Good
Meh/Average(Just ok)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 11:58 AM

307 posts, read 296,754 times
I'm in a house built by Drees. Glad I don't own it. YMMV. I dont think they put any real vapor barrier or insulation in the exterior walls in any of these homes in Apex. You can see massive condensation issues on every home which will lead to doing the siding sooner than most as these houses are ~15yo. They look nice, but I sure as heck wouldn't shell out $500k for this place. Stuff in my pantry freezes in the cold and melts in the summer!

Previous house (Ryan Homes) had so many cut corners, I thought it was a roundhouse. The used 2 hinges where it should have been 3 and the center support was a 2x10(or 12?) multilayer wood beam instead of a steel I-beam. Nothing was level. I know somebody who works for them who has to deal with LOTS of customer complaints.

House before that was privately built, but they used some kind of fiber sheathing that doubled as some kind of barrier and insulation. That will also cause the siding to rot. Its not like you're going to find this stuff in a home inspection and you gotta pick 2 out of 3 - fast/cheap/good. Guess which ones the mega developers are choosing.

They dont make them like they used to, which is why my brother lives in a 200yo house.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:22 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Lots of range here. You talking custom local builders or national tract builders?

Old 12-24-2021, 09:32 AM

59 posts, read 34,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udelslayer View Post
I'm in a house built by Drees. Glad I don't own it. YMMV. I dont think they put any real vapor barrier or insulation in the exterior walls in any of these homes in Apex. You can see massive condensation issues on every home which will lead to doing the siding sooner than most as these houses are ~15yo. They look nice, but I sure as heck wouldn't shell out $500k for this place. Stuff in my pantry freezes in the cold and melts in the summer!

Previous house (Ryan Homes) had so many cut corners, I thought it was a roundhouse. The used 2 hinges where it should have been 3 and the center support was a 2x10(or 12?) multilayer wood beam instead of a steel I-beam. Nothing was level. I know somebody who works for them who has to deal with LOTS of customer complaints.

House before that was privately built, but they used some kind of fiber sheathing that doubled as some kind of barrier and insulation. That will also cause the siding to rot. Its not like you're going to find this stuff in a home inspection and you gotta pick 2 out of 3 - fast/cheap/good. Guess which ones the mega developers are choosing.

They dont make them like they used to, which is why my brother lives in a 200yo house.
I hope there are no ghosts in this old house)

Old 12-24-2021, 10:39 AM

307 posts, read 296,754 times
I think its haunted. He discovered he has a well under his kitchen floor.

I keep trying to get him to watch this old VHS tape, but he wont.....

Old 12-24-2021, 11:16 AM

797 posts, read 3,579,507 times
I have almost never seen a steel I-beam used here in residential new construction. Not sure what you are used to elsewhere….

Quote:
Originally Posted by udelslayer View Post

Old 12-24-2021, 02:16 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,724,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
I have almost never seen a steel I-beam used here in residential new construction. Not sure what you are used to elsewhere….
Not super common but our house and a few of our neighbors have them. Our downstairs area between the kitchen, dining, and family room is one fairly large open space. Steel beam was used for the crazy distance that would have to be spanned to support everything above upstairs.

Old 12-24-2021, 02:47 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Steel beams are most common when one wants a header beam unnoticed in the ceiling in a large open area. Steel can be engineered to carry a span in less depth than most wood can be.
Sometimes, wood with steel flitch plates.

Laminated beams, LVL, what have you, have quite legitimate uses but often need to be deeper than the floor joists to carry long spans, so may extend below the ceiling and becoming a dropped header.

Nothing "wrong" whatsoever with either approach. It is all about qualified and proper engineering for the application and execution by the builder.

Old 12-24-2021, 02:51 PM

15 posts, read 12,621 times
In a Lennar home. After doing some window treatments and casing I can tell you none of my windows are square. They didn't grout the top of our shower tile because they figured no one would ever see it. They are cookie cutter assembly line homes with subcontractor crews more concerned about quotas than quality. I always get a chuckle out of half-million dollar homes and beyond that have the cheapo contractor dome lights in the bedrooms and hallways.

Old 12-25-2021, 03:26 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,653,670 times
My previous house was from Beazer, my current house is from MI homes. I have no complaints or issues with either builder. Of the two I think MI offers the better value and a better selection of options and upgrades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary