Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 09:15 AM

13 posts, read 14,334 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Do you know if Raleigh allows overnight parking in their decks? I will be taking an Amtrak train out of Raleigh on Saturday morning and I will be back on Sunday. I would like to leave my vehicle overnight in either Moore Square parking deck or the municipal parking deck as it seems that I could park for free on the weekend. Is overnight parking allowed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 09:44 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,353,806 times
From the Raleigh Union Station website, additional parking deck options include:
  • The Dillon, 223 S.West Street
  • Municipal Deck, 201 W Morgan Street
  • Wake County Parking Deck, 216 W Cabarrus Street
  • Performing Arts Parking Deck, 128 W South Street
  • Wilmington Street Station Parking Deck, 122 S Blount Street
*All parking decks within walking distance of Raleigh Union Station

Old 01-03-2022, 10:09 AM

Thanks. Based on this information it seems that the city is fine with overnight parking in those decks as they would not expect you to take a train trip and come back the same day.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:26 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,585,559 times
I think it would be fine for a weekend.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:31 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby2019 View Post
Thanks. Based on this information it seems that the city is fine with overnight parking in those decks as they would not expect you to take a train trip and come back the same day.

does the City own/run the Dillon Deck though? I know it's got all the modern doodad self-park/checkout and isn't cheap when you use it.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:58 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,585,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
does the City own/run the Dillon Deck though? I know it's got all the modern doodad self-park/checkout and isn't cheap when you use it.
The city doesn't - I would definitely stick with a city/county deck (I think the Dillon deck costs more anyways)

Old 01-03-2022, 12:55 PM

I believe the Dillion Deck is private and they charge $18 per day everyday. In an article that I read they said they needed the higher rate due to the high construction costs to build it.

I think I will pick one of these two from the list as both are free on the weekend.

Municipal Deck, 201 W Morgan Street
Wilmington Street Station Parking Deck

Old 01-03-2022, 03:02 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby2019 View Post
Hi,

Do you know if Raleigh allows overnight parking in their decks? I will be taking an Amtrak train out of Raleigh on Saturday morning and I will be back on Sunday. I would like to leave my vehicle overnight in either Moore Square parking deck or the municipal parking deck as it seems that I could park for free on the weekend. Is overnight parking allowed?
I realize this is not what you asked, but you might consider leaving from Cary Station. I'm "pretty sure" they have free parking there at the station. Obviously y ou should check it out before you park, but this would be an easy way. Cary is the next stop before or after Ralieigh on most (all?) trips.

Old 01-03-2022, 03:38 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,709,378 times
Parking at Cary is free, but it can get tight during peak travel seasons. Probably not in the middle of January, though.

If I'm going to Richmond or points north on Amtrak, I drive to Rocky Mount and park there. It's free and plentiful, and for those of us in north or east Raleigh it results in a shorter overall trip than driving into downtown Raleigh.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the advice for Cary parking. I will have to go out of there next time. This is my first Amtrak trip and I'm taking a short trip to Florence to test out Amtrak to see if it would be something that I would want to take the family on when we go to NYC next time. My family is driving back from Florida so they will pick me up at the station on the way. Hopefully we time everything right. I'm not sure if the train station likes people hanging out in their waiting room for a couple of hours waiting to get picked up.

On the Rocky Mount station you said the parking is plenty. From what I see on Wikipedia (probably not trustworthy) there is only 35 spaces. Is there more than these 35 spaces offsite or are these the only spots and is able to adequately serve Amtrak?

*edit* I brought up google maps pictures and I see that there is a large lot to the left of the station. Is this for the Rocky Mount Amtrak station? There appears to be a lot more than 35 spots. Also to park here do you need to get a special pass from the amtrak station to put in the car or do you just leave the car?

Last edited by scooby2019; 01-03-2022 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary