Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2022, 01:00 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,498 times

Advertisements

My favorites in the area:
Sam Jones in Raleigh: really good pulled pork and sides. I agree with others who think their cornbread is weird. They have a nice build out on the edge of downtown Raleigh.

Picnic in Durham: very good sandwich. More upscale/hipster.
Lawrence BBQ in RTP: Also very good. Limited menu.IMO expensive for the amount of food you get. In a cool shipping container retail center.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 02:31 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
The reason (I think) you are getting so much push-back is equating "electric and Gas" with "roasted". If it is ONLY electric or gas, then yes, it's basically roasted. Not good. And you won't get any argument from me on that.

What I am saying, and you may already know, but certainly have not acknowledged, is that the mere presence of Gas or Electric does not preclude you from having good, authentic, flavorful BBQ. A lot of people reject this, but the newer technologies allow for greater control, and STILL allow the use of wood and smoke. Actually, maybe better than the real thing.

Certainly, I appreciate the art that it takes to make quality BBQ using older ways.

I think people that automatically discount newer ways have a point, but also miss a point too. It's like driving enthousiasts who can't accept an automatic transmission in ANY instance. The new automatics are faster, better controlled, safer and more efficient. It still does not have the feel of a clutch. If you want to win the race, get the automatic. If you want to enjoy your driving experience, maybe drive the manual, but know you may not win the race.

My point, my only point: There is room for both, and you have yet to acknowledge that gas/electric can make equal or better que. If you reject it, reject solely on the basis of "I want to be traditional at all cost". Not because "it's roasted". More often than not "it's roasted" is incorrect these days.

Enjoy whatever you get. if it were me, and I wanted the "real thing", I'd head to B's or Grady's.
You articulated it far better than I. Spot on. And the question becomes where do we draw the line at what is traditional and not? Renowned Pitmaster Skip Steele finished his traditionally smoked ribs with a propane torch. Does that mean they’re not as pure? His Ribs have been rated as some of the best in the nation! The man is basically my BBQ model because he mixes different styles, cultures, and methods to make it the best.
https://youtu.be/HzU31ysHHkw

Edit: I know I’ve taken this thread into way too much BBQ detail. I apologize. My three favorite things in life after God, Family, and Country are Baseball, BBQ, and Beer. ;P

Last edited by STL2006; 01-19-2022 at 02:49 PM..

Old 01-19-2022, 10:38 PM

101 posts, read 61,239 times
Hey All - Heading off to NC on Friday. Here are the places I'm planning to try..

True Flavors - Breakfast/brunch

Sam Jones BBQ - closer to airport

Moe's BBQ - in Durham
Bullock's BBQ - Durham
Picnic BBQ (takeout)

Wanted to go to backyard BBQ but it will be closed about the time I get there Friday, and it's closed on the weekend.

Old 01-20-2022, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamboy217 View Post
Hey All - Heading off to NC on Friday. Here are the places I'm planning to try..

True Flavors - Breakfast/brunch

Sam Jones BBQ - closer to airport

Moe's BBQ - in Durham
Bullock's BBQ - Durham
Picnic BBQ (takeout)

Wanted to go to backyard BBQ but it will be closed about the time I get there Friday, and it's closed on the weekend.
Please post your thoughts after!

Old 01-20-2022, 05:01 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,935 times
Fun! Am eager to hear what you think of them all.

Old 01-20-2022, 05:06 AM

426 posts, read 223,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
You articulated it far better than I. Spot on. And the question becomes where do we draw the line at what is traditional and not? Renowned Pitmaster Skip Steele finished his traditionally smoked ribs with a propane torch. Does that mean they’re not as pure? His Ribs have been rated as some of the best in the nation! The man is basically my BBQ model because he mixes different styles, cultures, and methods to make it the best.

Edit: I know I’ve taken this thread into way too much BBQ detail. I apologize. My three favorite things in life after God, Family, and Country are Baseball, BBQ, and Beer. ;P
“Strict Construction” vs “Living Constitution” played out with Q.

Old 01-20-2022, 05:40 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
... Renowned Pitmaster Skip Steele ...
A very well made video. It makes you love the man and the food he serves.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:31 PM

920 posts, read 747,595 times
Quote:
The reason (I think) you are getting so much push-back is equating "electric and Gas" with "roasted". If it is ONLY electric or gas, then yes, it's basically roasted. Not good. And you won't get any argument from me on that.
Well, that literally what I said in my first post.

Quote:
I am saying, and you may already know, but certainly have not acknowledged, is that the mere presence of Gas or Electric does not preclude you from having good, authentic, flavorful BBQ.
Strike the word "authentic" and I am in agreement.

Old 07-02-2022, 01:57 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
Backyard Barbecue's restaurant health inspections are all over the place. Here's the link https://public.cdpehs.com/NCENVPBL/I...&esttst_cty=32

True!

https://www.wral.com/restaurant-rati...jour/20357280/

https://www.yelp.com/inspections/bac...bbq-pit-durham

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/...262956668.html

Last edited by K4GPB; 07-02-2022 at 02:32 PM..

Old 07-02-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Yikes. 83 is pretty bad. Lots of parboiled items for a BBQ restaurant — not a great sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary