Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 09:08 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Yikes. 83 is pretty bad. Lots of parboiled items for a BBQ restaurant — not a great sign.
Anything below, say, 93, is pretty bad. That's according to a health inspector I saw a post from once, saying he wouldn't consider eating anywhere lower. Tolerance for poorly maintained facilities and food varies, of course, so one person's "avoid at all risks" could be another's "adventures in wonderland".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 01:16 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
I have only been there once, about 7 years ago. We heard it was good, but we had a terrible experience. The staff was friendly but the food was simply not good. I’ve heard from several others that this place is great, so should I write off my experience as an outlier and give it another shot?

My favorite place was Allen & Sons in Chapel Hill. I was so sad when he retired and closed it down.
We had same experience years ago. My son at the time raved about the place and the food wasn't nearly good enough to offset our thoughts on the atmosphere etc. One and done!

With time being here and and learning how to really smoke Q, I have realized the best barbq is home grown and the smaller scale matters.

Old 07-04-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Off base how? I've been to Bullock's and eaten their 'q. No discernable smoke taste. No woodpile visible. No chimney emiting smoke. And they don't appear on this this of traditional 'q places that use wood or charcoal:

True 'Cue NC — The Campaign For Real Barbecue

Bottom line is, it isn't true NC bbq.
Q= smoke, heat/temperature, fire and moisture. How you season and how you mop or don't is choice but the bottom line is smoke, heat, fire and moisture.

Grilling is great but gas ain't smoking and adding little wood chips in a container is oh well so suburban.

You would might also agree that the only real discussion point about NC bbq is tomato or vinegar!

Yes you can use electric to help start, control your fire/heat etc and it is often great to have the equipment.

Old 07-04-2022, 01:30 PM

https://amazingribs.com/

Quote:
“By far the leading resource for BBQ and grilling information.” Forbes
“The gold standard of foundational smoking recipes.” The New Yorker

You have come to the best place in the universe for everything related to outdoor cooking, barbecue recipes, grilling and smoking techniques, food science and myth-busting, and the world’s best buyer’s guides to 800+ smokers, grills, thermometers, and grilling accessories, including unbiased reviews. You need this. Hope you brought napkins!
As good a source as you can find. The bottom line is that discussing what is barbq and what isn't is great for discussion and back and forth fun. The reality is when you open your mouth and taste finished product or putting the product taste buds.
Meathead is the man and his book and web site linked above talks about the science of cooking and when you get right down to it mastering the changes in your food is more important than the equipment it is on.

Give me a Sous Vide prepared steak seared over charcoal or on cast iron and you have a winner 99% of the time once you figured out the temp you want and the sear time.

Ribs, shoulder etc are hard to beat when smoked low and slow etc etc.

Last edited by TuborgP; 07-04-2022 at 01:39 PM..

Old 07-04-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Actually it does, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Anyway, thats not just my opinion. There is an accepted defintion of NC bbq among those who have real knowledge of the subject.
Isn't the definition of real NC Barbq from a time era that pre dates the modern barbq era"
Wasn't much of it a result of low incomes and cheaper cuts of meat that had to be cooked low and slow to tenderize it? I wonder what the long since deceased old head of barbq would think of a Traeger, Komoda Joe, Big Green Egg or the new Weber models? Would they embrace smoking in a ceramic egg shaped object?

Old 07-04-2022, 06:01 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
https://amazingribs.com/

As good a source as you can find. The bottom line is that discussing what is barbq and what isn't is great for discussion and back and forth fun. The reality is when you open your mouth and taste finished product or putting the product taste buds.
Meathead is the man and his book and web site linked above talks about the science of cooking and when you get right down to it mastering the changes in your food is more important than the equipment it is on.

Give me a Sous Vide prepared steak seared over charcoal or on cast iron and you have a winner 99% of the time once you figured out the temp you want and the sear time.

Ribs, shoulder etc are hard to beat when smoked low and slow etc etc.

I like Meathead and his site is very good, but since going big corporate the last few years, you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt. They’re beholden to the ad revenue and sponsorship.

IMO, the real deal BBQ people hang out at:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/

Old 07-05-2022, 07:57 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Cut and paste from my post on page 2 or 3 of this thread - speaking of Backyard BBQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Agree. But we didn't even try the food. Just looked, saw and turned around. I was sad.

(We are definitely NOT overly conscious of these issues. We eat at non-touristy street stalls in Asia, roadside taco stands in Mexico, etc.)

Old 07-05-2022, 08:17 AM

5,886 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
I agree, especially for expensive cuts that you don't want to mess up.

Quote:
Lots of good, knowledgeable folks on the BGE forum too.
https://eggheadforum.com

Old 07-05-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I like Meathead and his site is very good, but since going big corporate the last few years, you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt. They’re beholden to the ad revenue and sponsorship.

His book is from a few years ago and not as corporate influenced as his site. What I think he does so well is to talk about the science of cooking and how meats etc are impacted by multiple variables.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:55 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Isn't the definition of real NC Barbq from a time era that pre dates the modern barbq era"
Wasn't much of it a result of low incomes and cheaper cuts of meat that had to be cooked low and slow to tenderize it? I wonder what the long since deceased old head of barbq would think of a Traeger, Komoda Joe, Big Green Egg or the new Weber models? Would they embrace smoking in a ceramic egg shaped object?
No and no.

NC BBQ, specifically Eastern Style is Whole Hog. Literally the whole pig. Nothing "cheaper cut" or "low income" about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary