Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 02:37 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
As I posted earlier in the thread, this was my biggest concern when we added a porch in back of our family room. We opted for a vaulted ceiling, done in shiplap which is painted a very very pale blue and like Sal_M above, we put in 2 large skylights. The porch is light, airy with plenty of sunlight and our family continues to get great light.
Thanks! It is going to be narrow, so skylights would be a great idea to make it seem bigger, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 12:10 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Wow! I really appreciate these detailed responses. I am going back through all of the replies and taking notes. You all have given me a lot of excellent advice and things to think about in the future. Thank you!

Old 01-28-2022, 05:58 PM

425 posts, read 419,109 times
I had a simple 10x10 screened in porch added to the front of my house when it was re-roofed. The porch integrates with the roof and looks like it was always part of the house. This is a bit small for entertaining, but it comes in very handy as a sheltered place to stage something before carrying it into the house on a rainy day. I also have found it to be a useful place to keep young potted plants, before they're ready for full sun and encountering the squirrels and birds.

It has a simple deck floor, so there are gaps between the planks that bugs can come through. I don't spend enough time out there to really care- but I should have had some screen attached underneath when it was built.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:14 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
We have been in the area coming up on 16 years. Our first home had a screened porch which was approx 13 x 13. We used it a lot but there was never enough space for a dining table and a seating area. We had a sofa and a bistro set and some end tables. Our dog loved being out there.

Our new home which we have been in the past three years has a screened porch shaped like an "L". This configuration really works well. In the leg part of the L we have a table that seats 6 plus a side board for storage and we use it as a bar when entertaining. In the long part of the L we have two large chairs and ottomans. We love spending time here when it is just the two of us or one of us. Reading, working on our lap tops, having our morning coffee etc. We also have two smaller chairs that float around the porch depending on how many seats we need. They can move into the longer portion or be pulled up for extra seating at the dining table. The porch has two ceiling fans. very important in this climate.

What don't we love? Pollen season and windy rain storms. Everything gets covered. Overall it is difficult to keep clean. We have looked into EZ Breeze windows for it but my husband isnt sold on the idea of them. I would really love to out regular glass windows in it but by code was told that the way they frame the porches doesn't meet the weight requirements for glass windows.

We use our porch so much for personal use as well as entertaining, dinners out on the porch, game nights etc. We even have hosted the past two thanksgivings out on the porch. Because of this our next home if there is one will have an even larger porch with a fireplace and possibly some other features. It will have windows and French doors if possible too.

Forever contemplating the EZ Breeze.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:15 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
We have been in the area coming up on 16 years. Our first home had a screened porch which was approx 13 x 13. We used it a lot but there was never enough space for a dining table and a seating area. We had a sofa and a bistro set and some end tables. Our dog loved being out there.

Our new home which we have been in the past three years has a screened porch shaped like an "L". This configuration really works well. In the leg part of the L we have a table that seats 6 plus a side board for storage and we use it as a bar when entertaining. In the long part of the L we have two large chairs and ottomans. We love spending time here when it is just the two of us or one of us. Reading, working on our lap tops, having our morning coffee etc. We also have two smaller chairs that float around the porch depending on how many seats we need. They can move into the longer portion or be pulled up for extra seating at the dining table. The porch has two ceiling fans. very important in this climate.

What don't we love? Pollen season and windy rain storms. Everything gets covered. Overall it is difficult to keep clean. We have looked into EZ Breeze windows for it but my husband isnt sold on the idea of them. I would really love to out regular glass windows in it but by code was told that the way they frame the porches doesn't meet the weight requirements for glass windows.

We use our porch so much for personal use as well as entertaining, dinners out on the porch, game nights etc. We even have hosted the past two thanksgivings out on the porch. Because of this our next home if there is one will have an even larger porch with a fireplace and possibly some other features. It will have windows and French doors if possible too.

You are talking to entirely wrong people about windows.
It is easy to provide additional support for windows in porch/deck framing. Not free, but certainly not in the least challenging for a qualified contractor.
I would suggest large patio doors, rather than windows. Max glass. Max opening for screening.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:38 AM

148 posts, read 171,061 times
We finally got someone to come out and take a look at replacing our deck. Just to give you a comparison between where things were in mid-2019 to where things are now in terms of capacity, prices, and timelines.

1) in 2019 I had four companies come out within a week of initial contact. Now, only one got back to me (out of dozens) and it took them weeks to respond to my initial inquiry.
2) in 2019, the project estimate was a bit under $30k. Now for the exact same project, the estimate almost $50k
3) in 2019, had we decided to go forward with the plans, the project would have started in 4 weeks. Now, the project would start in 20 weeks.

So...good luck out there!

Old 01-30-2022, 07:21 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post

We were told the same and ultimately decided we like it more open and opted with eze breeze. Once the support was added for glass combined with the fact that when you open windows only half of the glass will be open to screen, we knew what we preferred. We wanted the room to feel more open to the outdoors. It come down to your preference.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:33 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKEBeck88 View Post
We finally got someone to come out and take a look at replacing our deck. Just to give you a comparison between where things were in mid-2019 to where things are now in terms of capacity, prices, and timelines.

1) in 2019 I had four companies come out within a week of initial contact. Now, only one got back to me (out of dozens) and it took them weeks to respond to my initial inquiry.
2) in 2019, the project estimate was a bit under $30k. Now for the exact same project, the estimate almost $50k
3) in 2019, had we decided to go forward with the plans, the project would have started in 4 weeks. Now, the project would start in 20 weeks.

So...good luck out there!
Thanks for this post as I was wondering what people have been seeing out there. Particularly that you are able to give a "then and now" cost basis is extremely helpful for comparisons on my own project.

Might I ask what your deck project is for better comparison? Square footage potentially as well? Any odd details that might have driven up the price (ie: fireplace, screened, eze breeze, composite decking)?

Old 01-30-2022, 11:11 AM

148 posts, read 171,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Might I ask what your deck project is for better comparison? Square footage potentially as well? Any odd details that might have driven up the price (ie: fireplace, screened, eze breeze, composite decking)?
Sure, happy to. I intentionally didn't include too many details initially because I didn't want people to get bogged down in the details - the purpose of the post was to compare pre-pandemic to now with all else being equal. But anyway, what we are looking for is to tear down a 30 year old 12'x14' open deck and replace it with a 16'x14' three-season (ie EZ Breeze) enclosed deck, a secondary lower 156 sq ft lower open grilling deck, and a small 4'x15' open walkway deck in the back connecting the 3 season room to an existing door. Outlets, skylights, ceiling fan, lights, etc. Storage underneath. No fireplace or anything like that. The only add-on is a new french door from the interior to the 3 season room where there is currently a wall.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:47 AM

281 posts, read 187,588 times
My house came with a screen porch (and a large unscreened deck) over a walkout basement patio. I really like that the original owner screened in the bottom under the decking so it truly keeps out the insects. My biggest gripe is having to clean pollen out before getting to use it, but I love having it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary