Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 03:02 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,401 times

Advertisements

When we bought our house it had a small awkward screened porch with a rotting deck. A couple of years ago, we tore it down and built a bigger screened porch and deck and we love it! We added eze breeze windows and a fireplace and it is like an extension of our main floor. We eat dinner out there more often than we eat inside. We watch tv out there and it is an entertaining space. Rain and pollen do not come in and with the fireplace it is usable even in cold weather. We don't bother on days it is below 40 but you could if you want especially closer to the fireplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 03:15 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,729,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
- Electric heaters built into ceiling
I am intrigued. What kind do you have?

Old 01-21-2022, 03:17 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I am intrigued. What kind do you have?
We have three 2-element Infratech 6kW heaters spaced out along the 20' length and a built-in wall thermostat that allows you to set from 0-100% of max power.

They are warm enough that we've been comfortable sitting out there for extended periods when the temps were in the 30s, although that's sort of a "why are we doing this" moment.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:21 PM
DPK

For those with fireplaces, do you have them on an exterior corner of the porch, mid-wall, or something else?

Wood burning or gas?

I'm kind of obsessed at the moment with having an old wood stove outside on a porch for some reason.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:40 PM

922 posts, read 752,070 times
Don't forget to wire in an electrical box for the ceiling fan.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:42 PM

43,301 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
For those with fireplaces, do you have them on an exterior corner of the porch, mid-wall, or something else?

Wood burning or gas?

I'm kind of obsessed at the moment with having an old wood stove outside on a porch for some reason.

Important question!
I see them on corners and on the sides. And soooooo oddly, on the back wall, blocking great views, kinda like the fireplace on the back wall of a waterfront home, where it should be nothing but glass.

I think the site and layout of the porch is important in making the decision. We might put one on the side as a bit of a privacy aid.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:35 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,401 times
Quote:

Wood burning or gas?

We have a direct vent gas fireplace. It is in the outside corner and blocks a view that we wanted to hide. We originally had the plan drawn with the fireplace in the back, then decided it blocked the best view. In the corner, we knew we would lose some space in the room to the fireplace. We took painter's tape and blocked it out on our old porch to get the feel for the change and imagine how we would fill the space with furniture. We are really happy with how it came out and are glad it is in the corner.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:08 AM

148 posts, read 171,213 times
I'm following this thread quite closely as we're planning a similar project. But good luck finding anyone to do it in the next year! I've contacted about 10 different companies/contractors, and only one has even gotten back to me - a contractor I worked with in early 2020 so he wanted to maintain the relationship, but he couldn't promise anything in 2022.

I'm kicking myself for not doing this in 2019 when we originally planned on doing it. We had four or five people come out for a look and an estimate, but the general consensus was that our existing deck we had hoped to enclose was too old and not strong enough to support the additional structure. We weren't ready at the time to spend the additional money for a new deck so we kicked the can down the road. Oops. Oh well, maybe in 2024?

Old 01-22-2022, 08:50 AM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKEBeck88 View Post
I'm following this thread quite closely as we're planning a similar project. But good luck finding anyone to do it in the next year! I've contacted about 10 different companies/contractors, and only one has even gotten back to me - a contractor I worked with in early 2020 so he wanted to maintain the relationship, but he couldn't promise anything in 2022.
Similar reasons for me as well. We're probably going to be doing ours in mid-late 2023 at this point. I'm watching lumber prices like a hawk and trying to trend things out over the next year to see when it might be worth while to do it for my wallet as well.

Old 01-22-2022, 02:02 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,063,301 times
Are we talking about a screened in porch or a sun room? I have both. I don’t think of tvs on a screened in porch.

I would like to rescreen our porch and replace screen door. Have not found the right company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary