Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 04:38 AM

714 posts, read 723,219 times

Advertisements

I wanted a screened porch so I could sit outdoors without being eaten alive by bugs. As it's turned out, the best thing about the porch is that it is a "catio" -- a place for the cats to hang out "outdoors" with the stimulation that provides without the dangers of being outdoors. I have one who climbs window screens, but never figured out that it's the same screening on the porch. And they don't try to claw out.

The only issue is that one can be highly reactive to other animals (other than squirrels) and can become aggressive to the other one so they need some supervision.

The other great thing about a screened porch is sitting on it in the evening listening to the tree frogs.

The not-so-great thing? Keeping up with the pollen on the railings in the spring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 07:02 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,071,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
I wanted a screened porch so I could sit outdoors without being eaten alive by bugs. As it's turned out, the best thing about the porch is that it is a "catio" -- a place for the cats to hang out "outdoors" with the stimulation that provides without the dangers of being outdoors. I have one who climbs window screens, but never figured out that it's the same screening on the porch. And they don't try to claw out.

The only issue is that one can be highly reactive to other animals (other than squirrels) and can become aggressive to the other one so they need some supervision.

The other great thing about a screened porch is sitting on it in the evening listening to the tree frogs.

The not-so-great thing? Keeping up with the pollen on the railings in the spring!
That’s my favorite too!

Old 02-03-2022, 07:21 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,073,157 times
We find it too hot to sit outside in the summer here, so I doubt we would use a screened in porch much. Also, when it’s cool enough in the spring, to use one, the pollen comes in through the screen and covers everything.

We have an open porch and a patio which we sit on sometimes. The bugs aren’t really an issue.

Friends of ours moved south to SC, and a screened porch was a top priority. He had visions of a bar and TV out there for football games, etc. They soon found out that it wasn’t a workable plan...too hot. They have been trying to find someone to enclose it, but have been unsuccessful.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:57 AM

376 posts, read 654,541 times
We have an open deck which faces east so it gets sun blasted all day, esp from April to October. I don't mind the heat too bad in summer, so I can sit out there a bit- wife can't stand it though.

Think about where your deck points maybe- neighbors points west so they get natural shade in the afternoon. Obviously roof helps but I'd still think direction wise can affect heat.

We joked about putting in window screens what the point was- winter is too cold, spring is pollen, summer is too hot. So there is what 2 or 3 weeks in fall you open them???! tongue-in-cheek of course...we open them when we can and enjoy the fresh air when we can.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:19 AM

43,334 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We find it too hot to sit outside in the summer here, so I doubt we would use a screened in porch much. Also, when it’s cool enough in the spring, to use one, the pollen comes in through the screen and covers everything.

We have an open porch and a patio which we sit on sometimes. The bugs aren’t really an issue.

Friends of ours moved south to SC, and a screened porch was a top priority. He had visions of a bar and TV out there for football games, etc. They soon found out that it wasn’t a workable plan...too hot. They have been trying to find someone to enclose it, but have been unsuccessful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
We have an open deck which faces east so it gets sun blasted all day, esp from April to October. I don't mind the heat too bad in summer, so I can sit out there a bit- wife can't stand it though.

Think about where your deck points maybe- neighbors points west so they get natural shade in the afternoon. Obviously roof helps but I'd still think direction wise can affect heat.

We joked about putting in window screens what the point was- winter is too cold, spring is pollen, summer is too hot. So there is what 2 or 3 weeks in fall you open them???! tongue-in-cheek of course...we open them when we can and enjoy the fresh air when we can.

Our screen porch is on the west side, and before we built over the deck, it WAS hot as could be.
We generally have full shade, with a tree to the south and heavy woods directly behind. No real back yard.
It makes the porch tolerable in summer, to a degree (pun!) .

For pollen, I just take the leaf blower on the porch and give it a go for a few minutes. That takes care of 90% of it. A couple of times in the spring, we will pull the hose in and finish it off so we can use it.
But, yes, it is a minor nuisance.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:26 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,071,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Our screen porch is on the west side, and before we built over the deck, it WAS hot as could be.
We generally have full shade, with a tree to the south and heavy woods directly behind. No real back yard.
It makes the porch tolerable in summer, to a degree (pun!) .

For pollen, I just take the leaf blower on the porch and give it a go for a few minutes. That takes care of 90% of it. A couple of times in the spring, we will pull the hose in and finish it off so we can use it.
But, yes, it is a minor nuisance.
Right there with you. Our screened porch is full shade in mid summer by 3pm and we have pines that block a lot of the sun anyway. I’d say Mar-Nov I’m out there almost every weekend as long as the heat index is under ~95. Ceiling fan and cross breeze helps an awful lot. We looked at 50+ houses when we bought, and a screened porch was on the “must have list”. I experienced two NC summers without one at our rental. We used to get eaten alive sitting outside.

Ditto on the leaf blower!

Old 02-04-2022, 06:48 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,941,162 times
We have a very simple and low maintenance screen porch. It’s on a concrete slab with floor to ceiling screen. It cleans up easily with a garden hose. It’s white aluminum framing with white aluminum screen door. One side faces south, one side faces west, and the north side is a exterior bedroom wall that block the north wind. We use it year round. We especially enjoy it in winter on a sunny day. There’s always a breeze, and there’s no tall trees to obstruct sunsets. I’d be out of my mind if I glassed it in.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:09 AM

1,711 posts, read 810,215 times
Our screened porch faces WSW so in the summer the morning are nice but gets brutal about 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

Planning on installing ezebreeze windows with the dark gray windows to help some with the summer heat, along with curtains. Going to put in a small space heater to take the chill off. Not sure about a/c, may just deal with it.

And our cat loves it. Doesn't understand the cold and asks to go out several times a day just to see. We have a bird loving bush next to the porch that gets a lot of his attention.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:54 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,941,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
Our screened porch faces WSW so in the summer the morning are nice but gets brutal about 3 or 4 in the afternoon.
We use two Coolaroo roll down shades occasionally to keep the blazing summer sun off the porch. It’s just for a few hours in the middle to late afternoon though.

Old 02-09-2022, 09:35 AM

6,382 posts, read 5,507,323 times
Well now I'm having some major FOMO and trying to figure out if a screened porch being built over my current patio would work (it wouldn't).

Dang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary