Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 11:22 AM

43,320 posts, read 77,165,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I do have an eBay account. So I could do that. Just debating whether it's easier to do local or online. Maybe I'll try Next Door.

ebay strongly favors buyers over sellers. Neighbors had a phone returned for full credit. Buyer said it was damaged when they received it. Neighbors said it came back pretty smashed, which definitely is not how they shipped it.
So, they got a smashed phone out of the deal.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...c&LH_PrefLoc=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 01:10 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I have sold things for many, many years without issue on Craigslist. I recently tried to sell something via my neighborhood email list, then on NextDoor. Once I put it on Craigslist, it sold the next day. You do need to be careful on where/when to meet.
Fifteen plus years buying and selling on CL, and this is my experience as well; however, with each passing year, we've become more cautious. We've bought and sold a lot of furniture on CL. We've sold at least 6 cars on CL. All without hassle or problems, but the last car we sold (early 2020) was decidedly less comfortable. Maybe it's our age, maybe it's the frequent reports of violence, etc from CL transactions.

I've listed items on ND - only the cheap crap gets sold. Offer up has produced a few successful sales, but not many.

I recently sold two large accent chairs on FB Marketplace, and there was no way to do it but have them come to our home. It didn't feel more comfortable than if they had come from CL - it still felt sketchy. I'll also add that when I inquire about buying something listed on FB Marketplace, the sellers are regularly non-responsive, flakey or just plain stupid.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Fifteen plus years buying and selling on CL, and this is my experience as well; however, with each passing year, we've become more cautious. We've bought and sold a lot of furniture on CL. We've sold at least 6 cars on CL. All without hassle or problems, but the last car we sold (early 2020) was decidedly less comfortable. Maybe it's our age, maybe it's the frequent reports of violence, etc from CL transactions.

I've listed items on ND - only the cheap crap gets sold. Offer up has produced a few successful sales, but not many.

I recently sold two large accent chairs on FB Marketplace, and there was no way to do it but have them come to our home. It didn't feel more comfortable than if they had come from CL - it still felt sketchy. I'll also add that when I inquire about buying something listed on FB Marketplace, the sellers are regularly non-responsive, flakey or just plain stupid.

Neighbors move a lot of stuff on Marketplace, NextDoor, Craigslist.
They say CL has the best record for buyers actually showing up.

Old 02-02-2022, 02:02 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Problem with Craigslist is it's completely anonymous. Your spidey-sense has no chance.

Old 02-02-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Problem with Craigslist is it's completely anonymous. Your spidey-sense has no chance.
Oh, I LIKE my CL Spidey Sense, and it serves me well over the years.

The benefit of Craigslist is that it is completely anonymous. Your contact info don't have to be exposed to others unless they give theirs up first.
The problem with FB Marketplace, etc, is that they are not completely anonymous.

Old 02-02-2022, 03:22 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Oh, I LIKE my CL Spidey Sense, and it serves me well over the years.

The benefit of Craigslist is that it is completely anonymous. Your contact info don't have to be exposed to others unless they give theirs up first.
The problem with FB Marketplace, etc, is that they are not completely anonymous.

There are many fake members on FB Marketplace and ND. I don't feel that much more warm and fuzzy with those buyers/sellers either.

I feel like Mike. But we do domestic and international Home Exchanges (aka Home Swaps) with total strangers, which is WAY more extreme than selling something on CL.

Old 02-02-2022, 03:42 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
There are many fake members on FB Marketplace and ND. I don't feel that much more warm and fuzzy with those buyers/sellers either.

I feel like Mike. But we do domestic and international Home Exchanges (aka Home Swaps) with total strangers, which is WAY more extreme than selling something on CL.
I find it pretty easy to find out who’s legit on Nextdoor and Facebook. Not so much in CL.

Old 02-02-2022, 03:57 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
I have a friend on Facebook who just posts the stuff she wants to sell to her Facebook friends. These are all people she already knows. She usually moves stuff out pretty fast.

But if you are going with an anonymous buyer I'd definitely meet at the police station for an iPhone.

Old 02-02-2022, 07:27 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,131,154 times
If you have any access to a local moms FB group, parents are always looking for used phones for kids.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:27 PM

640 posts, read 451,012 times
I have bought and sold quite a few things on CL and FBM. I have no problem meeting people at my garage, although when I was selling tires and an old car I arranged a meeting at the local supermarket parking lot. Unfortunately, I had to give the prospective car buyer my address after that, to deal with plate removal, etc. Instead, the guy showed up at my house and tried to have me lower the price -- after we had agreed on it. Oh, well.

One critical thing when selling on CL is to specify that you would only reply to the emails with phone numbers. If needed, you could go further and specify that you would also need the potential buyer's true name. I did that when selling a car, and it weeded out a lot of scammers and low-lives.

It's funny that I actually refused to go and buy an item when the seller said we would meet at a police station in a faraway town. Why? Because I would prefer meeting someone at their house, so I could be late or early within, say, 15 minutes, depending on traffic. I would hate showing up at a police station after a long drive -- and there's nobody there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary