Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 05:25 AM

43,419 posts, read 77,358,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
I have bought and sold quite a few things on CL and FBM. I have no problem meeting people at my garage, although when I was selling tires and an old car I arranged a meeting at the local supermarket parking lot. Unfortunately, I had to give the prospective car buyer my address after that, to deal with plate removal, etc. Instead, the guy showed up at my house and tried to have me lower the price -- after we had agreed on it. Oh, well.

One critical thing when selling on CL is to specify that you would only reply to the emails with phone numbers. If needed, you could go further and specify that you would also need the potential buyer's true name. I did that when selling a car, and it weeded out a lot of scammers and low-lives.

It's funny that I actually refused to go and buy an item when the seller said we would meet at a police station in a faraway town. Why? Because I would prefer meeting someone at their house, so I could be late or early within, say, 15 minutes, depending on traffic. I would hate showing up at a police station after a long drive -- and there's nobody there!

Yes!
"One critical thing when selling on CL is to specify that you would only reply to the emails with phone numbers. If needed, you could go further and specify that you would also need the potential buyer's true name."

Every Ad on CL:
"Contact me via Craigslist email with your name and contact information.
Give your number if you want a text response. I will reply ASAP."
And, I often skip over responses because they don't provide contact information or name.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 06:08 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,304,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes!
"One critical thing when selling on CL is to specify that you would only reply to the emails with phone numbers. If needed, you could go further and specify that you would also need the potential buyer's true name."

Every Ad on CL:
"Contact me via Craigslist email with your name and contact information.
Give your number if you want a text response. I will reply ASAP."
And, I often skip over responses because they don't provide contact information or name.

I can set up a Google Voice number and give a fake name in a couple minutes. While possible on Nextdoor and Facebook, it takes a lot more effort.

It is extremely easy to tell on Facebook and Nextdoor if you're dealing with a legit buyer or not. Right away I can see if they claim to be local, I can see their real name, and I can confirm all that via a voter registration or something of the like. If I can't, I don't even need to reply to them. 90% of the time it's completely obvious without even doing any of the deeper diving, just by looking at their profile.

I would never recommend Craigslist as a first choice for someone who's obviously new to this type of thing. That's just crazy - it should be the last choice. With something like an iPhone you'll have zero problem selling on one of the safer platforms.

Old 02-03-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I can set up a Google Voice number and give a fake name in a couple minutes. While possible on Nextdoor and Facebook, it takes a lot more effort.

It is extremely easy to tell on Facebook and Nextdoor if you're dealing with a legit buyer or not. Right away I can see if they claim to be local, I can see their real name, and I can confirm all that via a voter registration or something of the like. If I can't, I don't even need to reply to them. 90% of the time it's completely obvious without even doing any of the deeper diving, just by looking at their profile.

I would never recommend Craigslist as a first choice for someone who's obviously new to this type of thing. That's just crazy - it should be the last choice. With something like an iPhone you'll have zero problem selling on one of the safer platforms.

@ "crazy."

How many times have I been in danger in 19 years of selling on Craigslist?
How many times have I been uncomfortable?

Old 02-03-2022, 06:16 AM

Quote:
@ "crazy."

How many times have I been in danger in 19 years of selling on Craigslist?
How many times have I been uncomfortable?
That's super, I'm glad.

Consider who you're recommending it to - someone who's new enough to the whole process to be asking about it on City Data.

Old 02-03-2022, 06:35 AM

316 posts, read 303,533 times
If you want to see some funny CL trolls, look at dontevenreply.com

Its a mixed bag. A lot depends on the type of item you sell. When I sell bike stuff, those people are usually up front and dont usually lowball because bike people are this way. When you sell electronics, you get anyone. If you or your friend(s) work for a place that has a 4sale email list, that can be a really good option because you often know the target audience can afford "the thing." Many people post at my work "for a friend."

Dont use your name and use an email address that doesn't have it. Give it a few correspondences before you give that information up because they're usually doing the same to you for protection. You dont have to meet at a police station, but its probably best to take somebody with you during the transaction and meet in a public place.

Maybe there's an opportunity there to post at one's work place for a finders fee. I dont see anything in the HR rules yet that would prevent it. I'm sure it would work great until you unknowingly post something that was stolen.

Old 02-03-2022, 06:46 AM

Quote:
That's super, I'm glad.

Consider who you're recommending it to - someone who's new enough to the whole process to be asking about it on City Data.

RIF.
Obviously, I recommended (and still recommend) www.swappa.com to zitsky over Craiglist or ebay.

We are just engaging in a tangential discussion of another aspect of your general fear of the public.

Old 02-03-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
RIF.
Obviously, I recommended (and still recommend) www.swappa.com to zitsky over Craiglist or ebay.

We are just engaging in a tangential discussion of another aspect of your general fear of the public.

I don't know what RIF stands for in this context. Must be one of your fancy words.

Once again, the OP was looking to sell locally, hence the title of the thread. While you can sell locally on Swappa, it's far from the best choice. Facebook or Nextdoor is the safest, most simple, local choice.

Oh and give me a break on "fear of the public". Being safe with purchases from/to people you don't know should be common sense, not fear. We all know what can happen if you don't have common sense about this stuff, especially when you're dealing with something like an iPhone.

Last edited by m378; 02-03-2022 at 07:02 AM..

Old 02-03-2022, 07:00 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,068,276 times
Whats the gain of limiting yourself "locally"? Do you want to wave goodbye to it when it drives away to its new forever home like its a foster pup? Do you want to avoid the shipping fees (bake those into the price)?

I have sold a phone on eBay, admittedly it was sorta annoying because now eBay considers me a business. But if I am trying to move a $1200 piece of technology, not sure I would limit myself to driving distance. Throw it up everywhere; eBay, swappa, Facebook (if you engage with Satan), Nextdoor (if you engage with OldsmoTwitter), CL and let the market get you the best price (while obviously doing enough to protect yourself from being scammed). Let Capitalism work for thee.

Old 02-03-2022, 07:07 AM

6,659 posts, read 5,614,432 times
Quote:
One of my go to work pranks is to set up a Google Voice number and then prank text my coworkers around me through it (or switching the keys on their keyboard, changing their cursor to a spinning wheel etc....)

Old 02-03-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Whats the gain of limiting yourself "locally"? Do you want to wave goodbye to it when it drives away to its new forever home like its a foster pup? Do you want to avoid the shipping fees (bake those into the price)?

I have sold a phone on eBay, admittedly it was sorta annoying because now eBay considers me a business. But if I am trying to move a $1200 piece of technology, not sure I would limit myself to driving distance. Throw it up everywhere; eBay, swappa, Facebook (if you engage with Satan), Nextdoor (if you engage with OldsmoTwitter), CL and let the market get you the best price (while obviously doing enough to protect yourself from being scammed). Let Capitalism work for thee.
Some people don't like dealing with shipping/packaging, some people don't know how to or don't want to deal with things like Paypal, etc.

There are *always* people looking for iPhones. If you price it right it'll be gone in an hour locally. Easy peasy, but you have to meet someone in person.

Pro's and con's to all methods of course.

Last edited by m378; 02-03-2022 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary