Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 05:44 PM

781 posts, read 744,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
But no concern over the laws being broken by stealing signs of either party? lol
I'm not the one going on Nextdoor making threats to shoot people if they steal my political sign. Spoiler alert, I don't post political signs on my property or car. I prefer to avoid headaches!

As we have learned from this story, one can get in trouble for willy nilly shooting people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 06:01 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
I can't fathom when a car is worth a life. Even if the person in the car didn't run, and stole the car, is that car worth killing him? Just call the police, and let the police and insurance take care of the rest. Maybe I'm an artifact from a bygone era - I don't know.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:05 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I can't fathom when a car is worth a life. Even if the person in the car didn't run, and stole the car, is that car worth killing him? Just call the police, and let the police and insurance take care of the rest. Maybe I'm an artifact from a bygone era - I don't know.

Agreed. Shooting is to prevent bodily harm, to neutralize that threat. Not for material possessions.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:22 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I can't fathom when a car is worth a life. ......................
Agreed! I can't fathom someone stealing a car knowing they could possibly die doing it.
Once they attempt to steal the car, they are already providing evidence they are not trustworthy or predictable, so what's to stop them from doing another unfathomable act and turning around and attacking you. Crazy is as crazy does.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:34 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Agreed! I can't fathom someone stealing a car knowing they could possibly die doing it.
Once they attempt to steal the car, they are already providing evidence they are not trustworthy or predictable, so what's to stop them from doing another unfathomable act and turning around and attacking you. Crazy is as crazy does.
You are saying the car is worth more than a person's life? If so, I don't know what to say....

Old 03-16-2022, 10:54 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
This doesn't surprise me at all. Every time someone posts on Nextdoor or the local FB pages about some attempted minor crime (like larceny from a car etc) there is the usual crowd that comes on to talk about "standing your ground" etc. They either have no concept of NC law or just don't care (or they think they are just some BIG tough guy/gal).

The DA/judges need to make an example out of this case so people realize that they cannot use deadly force in situations like this. They also need to be firmer on punishment for all the career criminals here. It is getting worse and worse and if you look up some of these people that get caught for these crimes you would be shocked.

For instance the police recently arrested a group that was breaking into cars at one of the local parks. When you look up them up they have extensive records. In fact two of the three were currently awaiting trial for murder and attempted murder (one had even been charged with another murder previously). It just makes no sense that these people are walking freely on our streets committing crimes over and over again. So I understand why many are getting tired of it. But you can't take the law into your own hands. Take those hands and start voting for DA's and Judges that will be firmer on repeat offenders.
The well known psychologist Daniel Kahneman covered the unconscious biases that wreak havoc on our judicial system, including bail/bond hearings. If judges relied on statistically supported decisions, fewer dangerous people would be allowed to roam around. Instead, humans rely on instincts, and those are based on a combination of personal experience and invisible influences that make the outcome much less predictable.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:00 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Actually, very few burglars/thieves commit acts of violence. Generally, they do everything possible to avoid confrontation and will only engaged physical force as a means of escape (note that I read a lot, which is why I know these sorts of things). Car thieves are extremely unlikely to attack, particularly if escape remains an option.

Stealing cars remains a remarkably easy and very lucrative type of crime, particularly because so many people outside of major urban centers don't even lock their cars. So when you use the word unfathomable, it's actually quite fathomable, whereas violently attacking someone in the act of stealing a car is, as previously stated, unfathomable.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:31 PM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Actually, very few burglars/thieves commit acts of violence. Generally, they do everything possible to avoid confrontation and will only engaged physical force as a means of escape (note that I read a lot, which is why I know these sorts of things). Car thieves are extremely unlikely to attack, particularly if escape remains an option.

Stealing cars remains a remarkably easy and very lucrative type of crime, particularly because so many people outside of major urban centers don't even lock their cars. So when you use the word unfathomable, it's actually quite fathomable, whereas violently attacking someone in the act of stealing a car is, as previously stated, unfathomable.
I dunno if you have ever read about carjackings, but I am sure the victims of that will disagree with you about getting attacked.

Old 03-17-2022, 05:48 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I doubt this guy was even trying to steal the car. The neighborhood was having trouble with break ins. Would have been a lot easier for this man to lock his car with nothing inside than decide to lay in wait with his gun.

Old 03-17-2022, 06:59 AM

308 posts, read 297,997 times
The shooter will probably be sued unfortunately because he didn't kill the thief. Not that anyone should die over this, but his actions were not technically legal. Then again, you dont go firing into a neighborhood like that. It happened where I used to live. A .22lr (doesnt take much) went past a guy and through a window and hit a nurse in the hip, knocking her out of bed at 3am from a chase like this.

That portion of Morrisville/Cary area is very targeted. Some folks go there to "shop" and I know people in Kitts Creek that have constant car pilfering problems. You'd think for what they pay for those houses, you could relax but these dense inviting neighborhoods with their sidewalks and wide streets have basically made it the main attraction. There are certain cultural practices that have made an affluent population the number one pick. There is lots of this crime in Cary. Cars were constantly hit when I lived near Reedy Creek. Some genius got a gun stolen because he left it in his car. I got to the point where I couldn't sleep unless I checked to make sure everything was locked. On top of that, there are scanning methods people can use now to unlock some brands of cars remotely. Its definitely a dance.

Garner just installed some plate recognition cameras that report straight to the cops. I see this happening in the near future if not for the town, for the neighborhoods. You can buy software to run on your own home system that can do the same thing and produce a record of passing vehicles and some of them have face recognition. Check out AWS rekognition. It's pretty creepy what it can gleam out of a grainy photo.

Did Cary ever install their fecal recognition where they were monitoring opioid concentrations in the sewage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary