Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 10:03 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,965,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Stealing a car comes with real prison sentences, and it should.
Even stealing a car doesn't get much time (if any). And they can keep doing it over and over again. This is just one of many examples........

Cary Resident Arrested after shooting car thief-screen-shot-2022-09-13-11.51.49
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 11:42 AM

4,309 posts, read 4,768,048 times
Almost everybody wants real prison sentences. The problem: not many people are willing to pay additional taxes for more prosecutors, more judges, and especially more jails. Our justice system reflects rather accurately what people are willing to pay for justice. Nor are people willing to endure the inconveniences if everyone who's out on early release or who got a plea bargain had to go to prison for years. If you think restaurants and a lot of other employers at the low end of the pay scale are having problems finding workers now, imagine what would happen if we had strict sentencing.

Old 09-13-2022, 11:52 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,338,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Almost everybody wants real prison sentences. The problem: not many people are willing to pay additional taxes for more prosecutors, more judges, and especially more jails. Our justice system reflects rather accurately what people are willing to pay for justice. Nor are people willing to endure the inconveniences if everyone who's out on early release or who got a plea bargain had to go to prison for years. If you think restaurants and a lot of other employers at the low end of the pay scale are having problems finding workers now, imagine what would happen if we had strict sentencing.
Theoretically this should all be temporary. When there's consequences, the majority will stop doing stupid things.

Old 09-13-2022, 02:03 PM

6,664 posts, read 5,640,474 times
Quote:
You could repeat this for literally everything in America right now - "Almost everybody wants ____ The problem: not many people are willing to pay _____"

Old 09-13-2022, 02:14 PM

13,760 posts, read 12,589,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
When it comes to theft, there are **other** punishments from centuries ago that would cost pennies to implement...
I think Singapore is onto something with their judicial caning…

Old 09-13-2022, 02:27 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,965,263 times
Quote:
I have yet to see a bond on the ballot for something like this so how do we know that the majority would be against this? The majority of people I talk with would be for it versus let's say another "Parks" bond. What good are all these parks when you have people weekly going to these parking lots to try to steal what they can (including the car)? Even the gyms now are seeing a shift from just stealing FROM the car to actually stealing the cars. And last night AGAIN we saw on the news where a big group stole numerous cars from a business and then used those cars to commit even more crimes. At what point do we all just throw up our hands and say heck with it let's just forget about laws?

And while I agree that some companies might have issues initially, we really aren't talking about of lot of people. All you have to do is look at the arrest records and you will see that most of these people don't even have a job....well unless of course you consider stealing from others a job. So maybe if they realized they would actually go to prison (and/or did actually go to prison for some real time) it might make them think twice before doing it.

Old 09-14-2022, 08:43 AM

13,760 posts, read 12,589,395 times
Quote:
I wonder what the picture would look like if we stopped pouring prosecutorial and corrections resources into non-violent drug offenses.

Old 09-14-2022, 08:47 AM

4,309 posts, read 4,768,048 times
Politicians are astute and will not put a bond issue before the public that has absolutely no chance of passing. Consider the numbers. Nearly 2 million North Carolinians have a criminal record. I would guess that at least 20% are felonies. You can see the sentencing matrix at https://www.nccourts.gov/assets/docu...PcH7dUcMjQ8Ls7 and get an idea of how long a felon would be incarcerated if there was no plea bargaining.

In comparison, North Carolina state prisons have about 30,000 inmates (and that's at, or above, capacity). The number in NC county jails and other detention facilities is roughly another 30,000.

We already have the highest rate of incarceration of any country in the western first world. I've spent a lot of time in China where there is relatively little crime, but that's an authoritarian state where they simply execute criminals summarily. I felt safe walking the streets of Beijing anywhere day or night. The authorities were especially brutal about crime against foreigners. Saudi Arabia has their beheadings in public. We aren't China or Saudi Arabia. Yes, we definitely have a problem. The question is whether a dollar is better spent to lock up the criminals (there are a lot of them!) or address some of the root causes of why crime is so high. Half of the felonies, perhaps more than half, are drug-related. Lots of Americans (including people living comfortable lives in the suburbs) are consuming drugs while turning a blind eye at the ugly reality of the drug trade.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:36 AM

30,551 posts, read 23,972,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Then they should pay to insure it.

There was a woman whose car was stolen in Cary recently and somehow got her story on WRAL. She was saying she has no insurance on her 2020 vehicle (which would mean she paid cash for it since a lienholder requires insurance).

Her sister set up a GoFundMe stating her sister needed funds since she still has to make the car payments.

Which is it? Is the car uninsured OR did she pull the insurance once she'd taken out the policy, in violation of her loan agreement?

There's no excuse for running out of your house and wildly shooting your gun (another expense that gives lie to your poverty stricken victim scenario). This guy HIT A HOUSE where innocent people were living. If he can't live without his car he needs to take better means to secure it.
It doesn't mean she paid cash for it. It means she stopped paying insurance, the insurance company notified the DMV, and she hasn't been scanned by a cop driving by, or pulled over.

How do I know this? Because I totally forgot to renew my insurance at one point. I had paid in advance, so when it came time to renew, it wasn't even on my mind.

I got pulled over when the scanner in a cop car alerted the cop that my registration was no good (because I failed to renew my insurance) I didn't remember about insurance until that moment.

Got everything taken care of, the ticket was dismissed when I showed the court that I had taken care of everything, but not once did the company who owns the loan on the car ever notify me.

It is possible to have a car with payments and not have insurance. It will catch up to you one day, whether you did it on purpose or totally forgot because you hadn't had to pay in over a year since you did it all upfront.

As for the GoFundMe - well - I wouldn't give to it. Sometimes we have to learn things the hard way. Getting everything taken care of to get back to legal with my car - pain in the backside, and not cheap.

Having a gun, having a car, having anything doesn't mean that the person isn't having hardships NOW. You have no idea how they got their gun. It could have been given to them a long time ago by a relative, or a friend. They could have bought it years ago.

I bought a gun at a gun show in 2007. If I were having a hard time now, would you insist that it was a lie? Sell the gun? You think people get what they paid? Not even half, no matter if it's in excellent condition.

You're making a lot of assumptions in your judgement of people you don't know.

What you are right about is that no, there is no excuse to go running outside and wildly shooting. You don't shoot people unless you are in imminent danger. Killing someone over a car is stupid, and can get you in prison for a long time. If you are inside and the person is outside hot wiring your car, you are not in immediate danger of losing your life or suffering severe bodily injury.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:03 AM

22,760 posts, read 37,049,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Just read her Gofundme. They found the car, but it was too damaged to drive. Apparently, she had payments on the vehicle but only had liability, which is why she was asking for money for a down payment on a new vehicle. It appears there was an anonymous $5k donation which made up the bulk of the donations. Presumably, she still owes money on the old vehicle (as it mentions she had payments on it).
So she dropped insurance on a car where she signed an agreement with the lienholder - WHO ACTUALLY OWNS THE CAR ...

play stupid games win stupid prizes

By the way comprehensive coverage comes with automatic rental coverage for theft claims....if you can't live without your stolen car don't be pennywise and pound foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary