Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 10:09 AM

22,674 posts, read 36,820,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It doesn't mean she paid cash for it. It means she stopped paying insurance, the insurance company notified the DMV, and she hasn't been scanned by a cop driving by, or pulled over.

How do I know this? Because I totally forgot to renew my insurance at one point. I had paid in advance, so when it came time to renew, it wasn't even on my mind.

I got pulled over when the scanner in a cop car alerted the cop that my registration was no good (because I failed to renew my insurance) I didn't remember about insurance until that moment.

Got everything taken care of, the ticket was dismissed when I showed the court that I had taken care of everything, but not once did the company who owns the loan on the car ever notify me.

It is possible to have a car with payments and not have insurance. It will catch up to you one day, whether you did it on purpose or totally forgot because you hadn't had to pay in over a year since you did it all upfront.

As for the GoFundMe - well - I wouldn't give to it. Sometimes we have to learn things the hard way. Getting everything taken care of to get back to legal with my car - pain in the backside, and not cheap.

Having a gun, having a car, having anything doesn't mean that the person isn't having hardships NOW. You have no idea how they got their gun. It could have been given to them a long time ago by a relative, or a friend. They could have bought it years ago.

I bought a gun at a gun show in 2007. If I were having a hard time now, would you insist that it was a lie? Sell the gun? You think people get what they paid? Not even half, no matter if it's in excellent condition.

You're making a lot of assumptions in your judgement of people you don't know.

What you are right about is that no, there is no excuse to go running outside and wildly shooting. You don't shoot people unless you are in imminent danger. Killing someone over a car is stupid, and can get you in prison for a long time. If you are inside and the person is outside hot wiring your car, you are not in immediate danger of losing your life or suffering severe bodily injury.
I don't know what you're getting at with a lot of this post, bringing in guns and so on...but I agree I won't contribute to GoFundMes like this. Part of growing up is learning a car isn't a one time expense.

There are many ways people drop insurance, parts of insurance and agents who are not on the ball get caught up in. Because the insurer should have told the lienholder and the LH would have repo-ed the car.

There was a lady on my local nextdoor who was wanting to start a GoFundMe for someone who works at the local grocery to buy her a car so she didn't have to take the bus to work. She got a lot of pushback as in - can this person afford the upkeep on a $2000 car? Can they pay the insurance on it? The taxes? PS turned out the employee was trying to scam a lot of people with sob stories. Social engineering works with a lot of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 05:28 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't know what you're getting at with a lot of this post, bringing in guns and so on...but I agree I won't contribute to GoFundMes like this. Part of growing up is learning a car isn't a one time expense.

There are many ways people drop insurance, parts of insurance and agents who are not on the ball get caught up in. Because the insurer should have told the lienholder and the LH would have repo-ed the car.

There was a lady on my local nextdoor who was wanting to start a GoFundMe for someone who works at the local grocery to buy her a car so she didn't have to take the bus to work. She got a lot of pushback as in - can this person afford the upkeep on a $2000 car? Can they pay the insurance on it? The taxes? PS turned out the employee was trying to scam a lot of people with sob stories. Social engineering works with a lot of people.
You said: "There's no excuse for running out of your house and wildly shooting your gun (another expense that gives lie to your poverty stricken victim scenario)."

The way you wrote that implied that the gun was an expense that proved they "lied" about living in poverty, because the statement was made after mentioning the gun, not after "house". I wasn't the one who brought up guns. Who knows if they own or rent, I really don't care how you write, I'm simply answering "I don't know what you're getting at with a lot of this post, bringing in guns and so on...."

Unfortunately, a lot of scum ruin it for anyone who genuinely needs help. People are jaded, cynical, and think they're being scammed by everybody.

Old 09-25-2022, 05:40 PM

43,320 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Seems like an overreaction on theft to me.
Killing is for a personal threat.

"You touch my car? I'll kill ya."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ICMg8GV7Zs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary