Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 12:15 PM

240 posts, read 239,508 times

Advertisements

This post from the r/raleigh subreddit will resonate with a few here:

Quote:
People are tired of being victimized by criminals and watching them get away with it. This will lead to more reckless shootings like this. This is so typical, a thief victimizing people over and over again and getting let out by our justice system again and again to go victimize more people. Someone had enough and decided to just shoot him even after he ran away.

I don't support trying to execute people for attempted stealing but I kind of get his mentality. You get good grades so you can get into a good college, work hard to build a career, build wealth and build a life and contribute to society. Then some piece of trash decides to steal your stuff because he thinks he is too good to have to work and contribute to society like the rest of us. On top of that so many neckbeard intellectual criminal apologists in society vilify the hard working person and glorify and morally enable the thief as if he is the victim. I can see why this guy had enough and snapped.

The one part I really care about is him shooting into someone else's house. He should be charged with a crime for that because it is extremely selfish and irresponsible to risk other people's lives like that just to get revenge on someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 12:17 PM

22,674 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Feazel Roofing office is next to mine.
One weekend a couple of months ago, someone cut catalytic converters off 8 of their trucks parked behind the building.

$$$$, for sure.
Wow, that sucks.

It's a big problem everywhere right now.

Now it's gas theft.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:53 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,579,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I dunno if you have ever read about carjackings, but I am sure the victims of that will disagree with you about getting attacked.
Carjacking is a different category of crime and is by its very nature categorized as a violent act. It's also a vastly different criminal act than what was involved in the incident being discussed. Do you really think that professional car thieves rely on carjacking?

Old 03-17-2022, 02:17 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,600,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udelslayer View Post
And as for car theft, there are laws in the works to require disabling devices in vehicles, just like the TPMS systems. Tesla can already do this and I think OnStar and whatever Kia uses, so its just a matter of time before its a standard feature....in the guise of "advanced drunk and impaired driving disablement technology" You may not have active control of the feature in those vehicles because you dont pay for the service, but it is already there and its already on. Just ask the guy who's Accord got stolen and while Honda wouldnt cooperate with him because he didnt subscribe, they knew where his stolen car was the whole time.

Like they care about DUIs. The system makes a lot of money processing drunk drivers in places you may not expect.
I can’t speak to Honda’s system but if a car with OnStar does not have an active subscription, no, they don’t know where it is and can’t disable it. OnStar doesn’t just pay AT&T or Verizon for a line for every single GM vehicle out there.

OnStar can’t even program an inactive device without you first initiating contact through the device. I.e. you can’t call from your cell phone and subscribe a car if it’s not already programmed and active, you have to use the blue button to initiate contact.

OnStar does have subscription levels and the lowest tier does not include stolen vehicle immobilization. In that circumstance even with a subscription OnStar would not disable the car.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:07 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,661,022 times
I've got to admit, this story troubles me a bit. I'm not a gun owner, yet, so I don't know all of the laws regarding when you can or can't legally use a firearm. I guess I always thought that as a homeowner you have the right to defend your family and your property regardless of the circumstances. I also understand that shooting a gun in a suburban community were you have other homes nearby is rather reckless.

I feel bad for the homeowner since from what I've read he may be facing time in prison while at the same time a known repeat offender is allowed to be out perpetuating crimes without much stopping him. This doesn't seem to me like it sends much of message to the criminals that there will be consequences for their actions. Are they at least being forced to pay restitutions back to the victims for their loss of property?

"Arrest warrants show the shooting victim is Larry Edward Clinding Jr. Clingding has multiple previous convictions for breaking and entering into vehicles in Wake County.

Ye was arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.

He received a $30,000 bond and posted that bond on Tuesday.

He appeared before a judge on Wednesday who said Ye faces 231 months in prison if convicted."

I guess I have to wonder what I would do if I woke up early some morning and found someone outside in my driveway messing around with my car. I've been through a B&E robbery before and it's rather unsettling, especially when no one is ever arrested or held accountable.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:31 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,719,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
Hopefully the next guy is a better shot. Don't put me on the jury
Not much chance you'll get on a jury. Defense lawyers are pretty skillful at identifying attitudes like that.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:03 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,942,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Not much chance you'll get on a jury. Defense lawyers are pretty skillful at identifying attitudes like that.
There isn't much of a chance because so many cases never even get to that point. Many cases are dropped, plea bargained etc so there is no need for a jury. That is why we have so many criminals out on the streets.

I'll never forget the last time I had jury duty. We sat ALL day in that room. No "groups" were brought in for selection. At the end of the day the judge came into the big room and told us why. They were trying to get this guy to plea bargain so he wouldn't have to spend as much time in prison. They obviously had some good evidence supporting the case because dude was currently out of jail pending another trial and was required to wear a GPS monitoring device. The device actually showed him at the scene of the crime. The judge seemed pretty happy that the guy finally agreed to the plea deal.

I have to wonder what is in it for all these judges by letting these criminals either go free or have their sentences greatly reduced.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:15 AM

5,898 posts, read 6,966,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have a knife switch on the battery of my old pickup truck.
I put it on because the truck sits for long periods without running and modern batteries die under those conditions.
OT - but I got a solar battery trickle charger like this one to put on my truck that I only drive about once a week.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunway-Solar-.../dp/B06WP95W51

Old 03-18-2022, 09:46 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I've got to admit, this story troubles me a bit. I'm not a gun owner, yet, so I don't know all of the laws regarding when you can or can't legally use a firearm. I guess I always thought that as a homeowner you have the right to defend your family and your property regardless of the circumstances. I also understand that shooting a gun in a suburban community were you have other homes nearby is rather reckless.
You have the right to defend your family and property, but especially with regard to the latter it isn't "regardless of circumstances." More importantly, the guy was running away. So Ye wasn't actually defending anything anymore.

Quote:
I feel bad for the homeowner since from what I've read he may be facing time in prison while at the same time a known repeat offender is allowed to be out perpetuating crimes without much stopping him. This doesn't seem to me like it sends much of message to the criminals that there will be consequences for their actions. Are they at least being forced to pay restitutions back to the victims for their loss of property?
How are you going to force them to pay? Pay with what? The best you can hope for is they "pay their debt to society." Can't get blood from a turnip.

Quote:
"Arrest warrants show the shooting victim is Larry Edward Clinding Jr. Clingding has multiple previous convictions for breaking and entering into vehicles in Wake County.

Ye was arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.

He received a $30,000 bond and posted that bond on Tuesday.

He appeared before a judge on Wednesday who said Ye faces 231 months in prison if convicted."

I guess I have to wonder what I would do if I woke up early some morning and found someone outside in my driveway messing around with my car. I've been through a B&E robbery before and it's rather unsettling, especially when no one is ever arrested or held accountable.
I'd imagine he pleads out. IANAL but I can't see a prosecutor wanting this thing in front of a jury. It only takes one, the defendant is sympathetic, the victim isn't. If I had to guess he pleads to a felony with a suspended sentence so he can't own guns, is a felon on probation, but doesn't go to jail.

And while he could be sentenced to 231 months, he won't be. Even as charged the NC sentencing guidelines are far less, in the 4 year range. 231 is the maximum.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:33 AM

34,098 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
The thief has been arrested eight times for breaking into cars.
Clearly he's learned the distinction betw PROPERTY crimes and personal assaults.
The shooter will be learning this now too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary