Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 12:43 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,180,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
There isn't much of a chance because so many cases never even get to that point. Many cases are dropped, plea bargained etc so there is no need for a jury. That is why we have so many criminals out on the streets.

I'll never forget the last time I had jury duty. We sat ALL day in that room. No "groups" were brought in for selection. At the end of the day the judge came into the big room and told us why. They were trying to get this guy to plea bargain so he wouldn't have to spend as much time in prison. They obviously had some good evidence supporting the case because dude was currently out of jail pending another trial and was required to wear a GPS monitoring device. The device actually showed him at the scene of the crime. The judge seemed pretty happy that the guy finally agreed to the plea deal.

I have to wonder what is in it for all these judges by letting these criminals either go free or have their sentences greatly reduced.
I suspect that the benefit is saving the city/county money, as well as the overcrowded conditions in most jails and prisons. Obviously the end result will be more violent criminals on the streets and an increase in crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 02:01 PM

18,477 posts, read 15,927,818 times
Shoot a fleeing robber and the gun owner will find out how that's not legal, even they believe it should be.

You're better off lassoing them, cuffing them, and waiting for the PD to take it from there.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:21 PM

43,510 posts, read 77,526,384 times
Don't need a gun....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89KcTzoYqAM

Old 03-21-2022, 01:50 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,691,793 times
Well, the guy breaking into the car certainly knew of the danger of doing so. He got caught by the wrong guy and I certainly don't feel any sorrow for him.

The shooter was definitely in the wrong, though.

Old 03-21-2022, 02:38 PM

22,740 posts, read 36,999,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Well, the guy breaking into the car certainly knew of the danger of doing so. He got caught by the wrong guy and I certainly don't feel any sorrow for him.

No one does and hopefully word gets around at the Criminal Clubhouse.

Old 03-23-2022, 02:43 PM

4,295 posts, read 4,754,629 times
Quote:
There isn't much of a chance because so many cases never even get to that point...
Cases are dropped mainly because the DA determines that there's a fatal weakness in the case... most often because of a police error or a lack of evidence. Spending money on a trial that the prosecution cannot win makes no sense.

Plea bargains could be banned, if you are willing to increase funding for courts and the DA office by a factor of ten. Likewise, if you shut down the probation system (which is what most defendants who plea bargain go into), funding for jails and prisons will have to go up by a factor of ten. Tell your legislators that's what you want, but don't expect to be in the majority.

I served on a jury on a criminal case in federal court. There was a mid-trial plea bargain, but the defendant was still sentenced to hard time.

Insinuating that the judges have something "in it" for themselves is ridiculous.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:41 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,601,286 times
Quote:
This doesn't surprise me at all. Every time someone posts on Nextdoor or the local FB pages about some attempted minor crime (like larceny from a car etc) there is the usual crowd that comes on to talk about "standing your ground" etc. They either have no concept of NC law or just don't care (or they think they are just some BIG tough guy/gal).

The DA/judges need to make an example out of this case so people realize that they cannot use deadly force in situations like this. They also need to be firmer on punishment for all the career criminals here. It is getting worse and worse and if you look up some of these people that get caught for these crimes you would be shocked.

For instance the police recently arrested a group that was breaking into cars at one of the local parks. When you look up them up they have extensive records. In fact two of the three were currently awaiting trial for murder and attempted murder (one had even been charged with another murder previously). It just makes no sense that these people are walking freely on our streets committing crimes over and over again. So I understand why many are getting tired of it. But you can't take the law into your own hands. Take those hands and start voting for DA's and Judges that will be firmer on repeat offenders.

It's hard to fault some people who understand you have to take the law into your hands when laws don't protect you from true felonies. Add larceny too if they get off easy b/c the theft was $1,000 or less. Otherwise you, or a friend or relative, just become another victim of the free-walking criminals who do use deadly force. Seriously, what are going to use? the law, call 911 so they get revenge on you (or a visiting friend or relative) in your home? Criminals needs to be dissuaded period from violent crimes. I grew up a block way from a bad area in L.A. so I know. Put them in prison to work on infrastructure or some other physical labor. Just having them sit in jail, enjoy yard workouts, TV, computers, and do bi-weekly highway trash pickup is nothing. This country has gotten too soft.

*** Let's stop protecting repeat criminals ***

Old 03-24-2022, 03:06 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,601,286 times
Excuse the typos and missing prepositions above. I just get kind of John Walsh-ish and upset about criminals and I made some small mistakes.

Don't make a bigger mistake by thinking they should not be punished harshly. Have some standards, not fear of what people may think. They need to learn the hard way if you ever want a civilized society that respects the elderly and has improving morals. Otoh there's senseless deaths and senseless births.

Old 04-01-2022, 09:04 AM

5,494 posts, read 6,150,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Not much chance you'll get on a jury. Defense lawyers are pretty skillful at identifying attitudes like that.
Yeah, shame they aren't more skillful at identifying "attitudes" like robbery, assault and battery, mugging, shooting, crimes against children and in general wrong side of the law, non-productive societal members.

Old 04-01-2022, 09:11 AM

6,832 posts, read 9,104,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Yeah, shame they aren't more skillful at identifying "attitudes" like robbery, assault and battery, mugging, shooting, crimes against children and in general wrong side of the law, non-productive societal members.
I’m a non productive societal member. Do you have any questions for me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary