Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 12:00 PM

233 posts, read 237,076 times

Advertisements

Any updates on when the trial date will be? Not seeing anything listed on the calendar or any convictions listed on the NCDPS website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 04:49 PM

814 posts, read 442,633 times
I know this thread has slowed, and that the shooter was wrong, but there is another aspect to this. Not everyone has the ability to live without what may be stolen. What if the car owner lives paycheck to paycheck? What if the car is stolen and the owner loses work because of it?

I'm not saying the thief deserves to get shot, but a career criminal who has no regard for hard working honest people absolutely deserves a much harsher penalty. And just maybe a tiny bit of understanding of what it means to the owner can be a factor before charges or sentencing. It's a hard question without absolute answers, but I do wish the shooter learns but doesn't get so harshly punished. He's gonna now have to pay lawyers, lose work due to court dates, and possibly get sued by the piece of trash criminal.

When society get to the point that career criminals doesn't have harsh major punishments then the honest will continue to suffer. Law and order is more important than ever, especially in this time of "defund the police" and "ACAB" feelings that are not only prevalent but promoted by certain media.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:13 PM

563 posts, read 955,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
Law and order is more important than ever, especially in this time of "defund the police" and "ACAB" feelings that are not only prevalent but promoted by certain media.
The law is clear here. Raleigh, Durham, and Cary have all increased their police funding. Please take the time to understand what is meant by "defund the police", not by what certain media portrays it as.

Old 09-11-2022, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
The law is clear here. Raleigh, Durham, and Cary have all increased their police funding. Please take the time to understand what is meant by "defund the police", not by what certain media portrays it as.
I do understand Jackie, but I think you misunderstand my meaning behind what I say. No matter the strength of the force, when "certain media outlets" promote negative attitudes towards law enforcement, then respect goes down and more brazen criminal activity goes up. That's what I meant.

As an older individual, I have seen law enforcement praised (most recently during the 9-11 moment) and now universally trashed since George Floyd (by certain segments) that is entirely undeserved. The actions of a few should never decide the definition of the whole. If that was the case than everyone would hate everyone.

As you can tell, I support law enforcement, but not those who use that badge disgracefully. I feel the same about every aspect of society. I will never judge the whole by the actions of the few (to repeat myself).

With that said, my opinion on this particular subject is not about what the exact law is, I understand that. It's about the career criminal continually preying on the honest without proper punishment. That's where I'm coming from.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:27 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
I know this thread has slowed, and that the shooter was wrong, but there is another aspect to this. Not everyone has the ability to live without what may be stolen. What if the car owner lives paycheck to paycheck? What if the car is stolen and the owner loses work because of it?

I'm not saying the thief deserves to get shot, but a career criminal who has no regard for hard working .
Then they should pay to insure it.

There was a woman whose car was stolen in Cary recently and somehow got her story on WRAL. She was saying she has no insurance on her 2020 vehicle (which would mean she paid cash for it since a lienholder requires insurance).

Her sister set up a GoFundMe stating her sister needed funds since she still has to make the car payments.

Which is it? Is the car uninsured OR did she pull the insurance once she'd taken out the policy, in violation of her loan agreement?

There's no excuse for running out of your house and wildly shooting your gun (another expense that gives lie to your poverty stricken victim scenario). This guy HIT A HOUSE where innocent people were living. If he can't live without his car he needs to take better means to secure it.

Old 09-11-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

There was a woman whose car was stolen in Cary recently and somehow got her story on WRAL. She was saying she has no insurance on her 2020 vehicle (which would mean she paid cash for it since a lienholder requires insurance).

Her sister set up a GoFundMe stating her sister needed funds since she still has to make the car payments.

Which is it? Is the car uninsured OR did she pull the insurance once she'd taken out the policy, in violation of her loan agreement?

There's no excuse for running out of your house and wildly shooting your gun (another expense that gives lie to your poverty stricken victim scenario). This guy HIT A HOUSE where innocent people were living. If he can't live without his car he needs to take better means to secure it.
So no opinion on the part of this subject where I was really aimed at...

"With that said, my opinion on this particular subject is not about what the exact law is, I understand that. It's about the career criminal continually preying on the honest without proper punishment. That's where I'm coming from."

And I think that statement of yours below is pretty cold.

"If he can't live without his car he needs to take better means to secure it."

Not everyone has the means that you may have. Again, I didn't say I agree with with actions of shooting but, to some, losing a car can mean the difference of making a living or not. Nice of you to have the right priorities... trash the victim and not a word about the career criminal.

Old 09-11-2022, 04:42 PM

It seems that the charges were dropped against the shooter. Great news if this is indeed the case...

Old 09-12-2022, 11:40 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
I do understand Jackie, but I think you misunderstand my meaning behind what I say. No matter the strength of the force, when "certain media outlets" promote negative attitudes towards law enforcement, then respect goes down and more brazen criminal activity goes up. That's what I meant.

As an older individual, I have seen law enforcement praised (most recently during the 9-11 moment) and now universally trashed since George Floyd (by certain segments) that is entirely undeserved. The actions of a few should never decide the definition of the whole. If that was the case than everyone would hate everyone.

As you can tell, I support law enforcement, but not those who use that badge disgracefully. I feel the same about every aspect of society. I will never judge the whole by the actions of the few (to repeat myself).

With that said, my opinion on this particular subject is not about what the exact law is, I understand that. It's about the career criminal continually preying on the honest without proper punishment. That's where I'm coming from.
I don't have a great answer to that. Stealing a car comes with real prison sentences, and it should.

Stealing stuff from the car? the sentences aren't as harsh (obviously.) Anyone that's had something stolen from them or a car broken into or a catalytic converter stolen can relate. But if you take a step back from it, how much are you willing to pay to lock someone up that got away with $400 worth of stuff? It's a serious question. What amount of money are you willing to pay in tax dollars to incarcerate this person? For $165,000 the taxpayers can insure he's locked up for 5 years. For $17K we can lock him up for 6 months.

I'm not saying it should be a direct proportionality to the dollar value of what they stole, but in the absence of breaking into a dwelling, in the absence of violence, it is very key to the question.

Old 09-12-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I don't have a great answer to that. Stealing a car comes with real prison sentences, and it should.

Stealing stuff from the car? the sentences aren't as harsh (obviously.) Anyone that's had something stolen from them or a car broken into or a catalytic converter stolen can relate. But if you take a step back from it, how much are you willing to pay to lock someone up that got away with $400 worth of stuff? It's a serious question. What amount of money are you willing to pay in tax dollars to incarcerate this person? For $165,000 the taxpayers can insure he's locked up for 5 years. For $17K we can lock him up for 6 months.

I'm not saying it should be a direct proportionality to the dollar value of what they stole, but in the absence of breaking into a dwelling, in the absence of violence, it is very key to the question.
When it comes to theft, there are **other** punishments from centuries ago that would cost pennies to implement...

Old 09-12-2022, 02:26 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,540,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

Just read her Gofundme. They found the car, but it was too damaged to drive. Apparently, she had payments on the vehicle but only had liability, which is why she was asking for money for a down payment on a new vehicle. It appears there was an anonymous $5k donation which made up the bulk of the donations. Presumably, she still owes money on the old vehicle (as it mentions she had payments on it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary