Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2022, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,810 times

Advertisements

Hi- looking for any recent (post-pandemic?) feedback on DDE. Have done a fair amount of research on wake county generally, and I know no school assignment is ever truly secure. For now it appears large but uncapped. Coming from a large county- based system in MD with young elementary kids. We like the mature neighborhoods in this part of Cary, but of course this market may not make anything possible. Trying to gather info should the opportunity align. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 08:01 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,345,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open33 View Post
Hi- looking for any recent (post-pandemic?) feedback on DDE. Have done a fair amount of research on wake county generally, and I know no school assignment is ever truly secure. For now it appears large but uncapped. Coming from a large county- based system in MD with young elementary kids. We like the mature neighborhoods in this part of Cary, but of course this market may not make anything possible. Trying to gather info should the opportunity align. Thank you!!
Assignments for DDE are quite stable especially if you live on the west side of Davis Drive. Any redistricting for DDE in the past few years has impacted MacArthur Park which is on the east side of Davis.

As far as the school goes, the principal retired halfway through last year and there was some staff turnover at the beginning of this year. The assistant principal retired a couple of months ago so they are new to the school as well. It is a good school but as with any school if your child gets a teacher that is not a good fit, it is going to be a rough year. If you are looking for mature neighborhoods they make up the bulk of the DDE zone. Several neighborhoods are even walkable to the school.

Old 03-16-2022, 08:09 PM

22,685 posts, read 36,850,940 times
Yes DDE assignments are pretty stable for the area described above. The school has actually shrank a bit since my kids went there.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:24 PM

43,356 posts, read 77,229,425 times
DDES, DDMS, GHHS comprise the "Holy Trinity of School Assignment Hysteria" in Cary.
It has been nuts for years in the several neighborhoods that have had stable assignments to DDES and DDMS.
IF you decide to pursue, be ready to pay dearly for a house compared to some other areas, and to write an offer without seeing the home, during "Coming Soon," on the MLS.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:41 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,548,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
DDES, DDMS, GHHS comprise the "Holy Trinity of School Assignment Hysteria" in Cary.
It has been nuts for years in the several neighborhoods that have had stable assignments to DDES and DDMS.
IF you decide to pursue, be ready to pay dearly for a house compared to some other areas, and to write an offer without seeing the home, during "Coming Soon," on the MLS.
It's funny because it was that way in 2006 when we moved to Cary - Davis, Davis, Green Hope. We decided we didn't want Masonite siding and I wanted an easier commute to RTP (55 and Davis drive were each 2 lanes back then) so we ended up northwest of there. We had pretty good success with not getting bounced around with reassignments, mainly due to timing.

Old 03-17-2022, 04:17 PM

222 posts, read 219,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I feel like that should include too: Highcroft Elem, Mills Park Middle, and Panther Creek.

Old 03-17-2022, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
I feel like that should include too: Highcroft Elem, Mills Park Middle, and Panther Creek.
Mills Park and PC with their endless capping make them much less attractive.

So Mike, tell me more about this name your own price when you're in the DDE, DDMS, GHHS zone

j/k I've seen what my neighbors have sold for

Old 03-17-2022, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,810 times
Thanks all! Our school has had a lot of turnover during the pandemic, but that’s everywhere. I’d like to actually see the inside of a wellsley or west park home before bidding sight unseen on “coming soon” hour 1, but I see that is the landscape today!

Old 03-17-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open33 View Post
Thanks all! Our school has had a lot of turnover during the pandemic, but that’s everywhere. I’d like to actually see the inside of a wellsley or west park home before bidding sight unseen on “coming soon” hour 1, but I see that is the landscape today!

All of the neighborhoods assigned to DDE are great, lot of activities for families, traditions, holidays, social clubs etc. Most people have at least somewhat updated their homes.

Good luck with your search!

Old 03-18-2022, 05:53 AM

43,356 posts, read 77,229,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Mills Park and PC with their endless capping make them much less attractive.

So Mike, tell me more about this name your own price when you're in the DDE, DDMS, GHHS zone

j/k I've seen what my neighbors have sold for

Sellers aren't setting the sales prices. Buyers are.
Sellers just need to make the property available and not do anything flagrantly stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary